Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY Conical Air Filter - Maruti Swift

This is a work in progress.

I had a conical air filter from my previous car that I wanted to use on my Swift VDi with the highest setting on the RaceChip module that I have installed.

Started off by experimenting on the placement and securing the filter so that it did not knock about on adjacent parts which would damage it. I also wanted to ensure that on rough roads it would stay in place and not flop around.

My earlier attempt with the stock ECU a couple of year back was not great. I did not use an proper securing mechanism and the power delivery was not what I wanted.

This time around I used a couple of iron angle supports and used a bolt hole of the engine cover to secure it.

I was able to ensure that the filter was secure and did not bump into any parts close by. There was adequate clearance on the top, bottom and sides. Did a test run and the power delivery was fine atleast not degraded. My experience is that only a longer period of 500 - 1000kms tell you the real story as the ECU needs time to adjust to the different parameters. Inference gained mainly from the post settings change on the RaceChip module.

One problem that still remains is that the filter gets pretty hot and is certainly pulling in a lot of hot air from the engine bay. Planning to get a GI sheet enclosure with aluminium foil and some basic piping to fix this problem. Any suggestions on easily available alternate raw materials will be certainly welcome.

Here is a pic of the install. Currently returned back to the stock KN filter due to the hot air problem.

DIY Conical Air Filter - Maruti Swift-20130501-15.04.57.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 20:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY Conical Air Filter - Maruti Swift

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks