Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 22:39   #1
M35
BHPian

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio

Do It Yourself Floor mats for my Scorpio:

The 4.5 year old OE floor mats that came with my Scorpio had taken enough beating over the years. The plastic had become a bit hard and lost its flexibility. They started to buckle and slide around under the feet.
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-old.jpg

I had an option to buy a 3D floor mat set online, but didn’t want to miss an opportunity of spending in and around my car. The plan was to make a custom made floor mat set. Though I was planning for a 2-3 hour job, ended up spending the whole day for a set of 5 mats.

1.Things required:
  • The polypropylene mats [Nomenclature as per the carpet store keeper]
  • Cutter
  • Ruler
  • Old Newspapers for cutting patterns
  • Glue sticks
  • Measuring tape
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-material-1.jpg

2.The plan and purchase:

Before I started to cut and design new floor mats, I had measured the dimensions carefully. Since I am not using the third row, I planned a 2 piece[driver + passenger] + 1 piece[middle] + 2 piece [rear] set. I decided not to use the old mats for the design and pattern, as I wanted better fitment and finish.

The Mat was 66 cm wide and I purchased a piece of 5.8 meters long at Rs.550/meter.
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-material-2.jpg

3.Design and cutting pattern

Using used newspapers, the design and pattern were made and cut out. The measurements were tough as I had to keep modifying the edges and wells with pieces of papers and glue them well, in order to get the precision I wanted in the cutting pattern.

Name:  DIY front.png
Views: 12399
Size:  5.5 KB
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-diy-middle.png
Name:  DIY rear.png
Views: 12705
Size:  5.7 KB

4.The execution
  • Measurements were taken, of the car’s floors.
  • For the middle row, it was from door to door, allowing the required to accommodate center hump. Then patterns were cut out of used newspapers that have been glued together to the size of the mat. The fit and finish were checked and fine adjustments were made multiple times, as and when required to get everything fitted just right.
  • The paper patterns were placed on the new mat and the new floor mats were cut out and the edges were smoothen.
  • Didn’t feel the need to glue along the edges as they were held well together. If required in future, shall do it using binding tapes and glues.

• The driver and passenger side mats have been built on 75 cm each long pieces.
  • The middle row single piece was worked on a 150 cm long piece.
  • For the cargo space in the third row, I used 2 pieces, each being 140 am long.
  • Designing the cutting patterns for the middle and rear rows were the toughest as I had to work to accommodate components in the respective seat assemblies.
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-1.jpg
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-2.jpg
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-5-pieces.jpg

5.The final result
The final result has come out well and it was fun doing the whole thing too. A day well spent. Thanks for reading and a sample picture as of now. More pictures to follow.

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-final-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-paper-pattern.jpg  

M35 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio

Fantastic work there M35. Gotto applaud your effort in getting that center and the last row floor mats almost perfect. I doubt if any of the after market mats are made with such measurements to the last mm .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 30th January 2014 at 11:00.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 11:17   #3
BHPian

Good job

I believe cleaning these mat would be big task if you want to take out.
Driver side is OK but rear would be most difficult.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 12:27   #4
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I believe cleaning these mat would be big task if you want to take out.
Driver side is OK but rear would be most difficult.
Taking out all the mats is a matter of less than a minute job.
Dust can be vacuum cleaned periodically or removed after having them taken out. The best part is that this polymer based material is washable.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 16:13   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio

Thread moved to the Mods & Accessories Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 31st January 2014, 10:28   #6
M35
BHPian

More pictures after the job !

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-all-1_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-all-2_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-all-4_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-all-6_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-final-2_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-final-3_lzn.jpg

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-final-4_lzn.jpg
M35 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:02   #7
BHPian

Nice work done! Attention to detail is remarkable. Thanks for the detailed pictures. The schema with measurements is very helpful for other scorpio owners who wish to do DIY floor mats.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
The plan was to make a custom made floor mat set. Though I was planning for a 2-3 hour job, ended up spending the whole day for a set of 5 mats.
That's a fantastic DIY!

Is your vehicle a 8 seater Scorpio with rearmost bench seat or 7 seater with side facing rear seats? If it's the latter, have you removed the jump seats?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:37   #9
BHPian

Superb craftsmanship, @M35! Looks great

BTW, it seems you have already had a PVC floor carpet? Is it useful to have it done? Any associated risks?

When you remove this new DIY mats, is there a chance that the dust will spill on to the floor, especially with quite a few adaptations like cuts and holes?
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 16:37   #10
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is your vehicle a 8 seater Scorpio with rearmost bench seat or 7 seater with side facing rear seats?
Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks, Vikram. It's an 8 seater with the last row facing the front. Since I am using my Scorpio as a spacious 5 seater, the third row has been taken out for quite some time. That gives me adequate space for my Sub and cargo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
BTW, it seems you have already had a PVC floor carpet? Is it useful to have it done? Any associated risks?

When you remove this new DIY mats, is there a chance that the dust will spill on to the floor, especially with quite a few adaptations like cuts and holes?
Though looks like a floor carpet, thanks to the fitment achieved, they do very well serve as mats which can be easily removed and cleaned. Dust gets trapped and cleaned using a vacuum cleaner as well.

No issues with dirt getting to the floor through cuts and holes as they go under the seats mostly, does the job much better than the old OE mats.

Last edited by M35 : 31st January 2014 at 16:39.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 11:07   #11
USJ

Great job there M35, I believe most OEM floor mats are not upto the mark in covering the entire floor and almost always are prone to move about (especially the driver side).
I have a few questions though about the material of the mats that you have used. Does it soak up moisture and trap dust like the noodle mat does?

Another DIY thread on a similar exercise by dinu2506 shows the use of Nomad mats. Check link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...loor-mats.html

These mats are very good at trapping dirt and moisture. Did you consider these before deciding on the ones you used? If yes, can you tell me if there any pros and cons of this over these Nomads?

I'm confused about the material of the floor mat to be used for my Figo. Thanks in advance for any help!
USJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely stunning work!

Now the serious question. Are those paper templates going to the classifieds section or the Give-away thread??
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 23:03   #13
BHPian

Great job, looks neat! Did you notice any reduction in noise inside the cabin after this?
Jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 17:25   #14
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Great job, looks neat! Did you notice any reduction in noise inside the cabin after this?
Nothing significant observed. Inside cabin has always been super-silent anyways.

Update:

The carpet mat did stand exceedingly well during rains. Absorbed dust and water pretty well and no dirt got through it to the floor at all. What I had to do was take it out once every week to wipe the dirt off with a wet cloth. Just about 5-10 minutes job. Not even once I had to give it a complete wash as it was unnecessary. No buckling and sliding whatsoever.

DIY: Floor mats for my Scorpio-dsc_1323.jpg
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Hello M35, I just loved your diy. This is exactly what I was looking to put in my polo. I understand that you call it as polypropylene mat, but do you know what kind of shops would have it? I'm in Pune

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks