Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 08:02   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This is the reception I get with the sharkfin aerial on my car.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3RWm8O6A6ws

Recorded the clip sometime back while returning from work. At some locations, the reception is a bit feeble but then I don't listen to the radio much. Not sure what is the issue here. I hope there is no loose connection between the fakra connectors?
No loose connection - this was double checked. At the insistence of the rest of my family I reverted back to the old antenna & presto - all is well

I would recommend to stick with the original antenna
Old 22nd November 2015, 20:00   #32
BHPian

Hey Gannu , nice job on the antenna, just wanted to know if you had any wrinkles on the headliner after working on it?
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
Hey Gannu , nice job on the antenna, just wanted to know if you had any wrinkles on the headliner after working on it?
Nope no wrinkles. Just ensure that you don't bend the headliner a lot while removing/installing it.
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:50   #34
BHPian

Well, I guess it's too late for me :/, I recently had my roof wrapped with a gloss black vinyl, so they removed the antenna. I didn't notice it until today while installing the dampers for the grab handles, will attach pictures of them tomorrow. Also an other friend of mine had wrinkles on them due the same reason. Have to find a way to get rid of them, once you've seen it, you can't seem to unsee it :(
Old 24th November 2015, 21:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope no wrinkles. Just ensure that you don't bend the headliner a lot while removing/installing it.

Hey Gannu this is what I was talking about :/ saw a few fixes, will be trying them out soon.
VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448380292.842137.jpgVW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448380312.013010.jpg
Old 18th January 2016, 17:03   #36
BHPian

VW vento DIY: Installing a sharkfin antenna

Hi
This shark fin antenna is the first after market addition to my Vento TSi (Nov '15) and am glad that its a DIY. Its a very simple job, as will be evident as you read along. I placed an order on Ali express for the sharkfin antenna and was happy to receive it in double quick time. 2 weeks after placing the order i was opening the package from the seller. Here s a link to the product. Cost me 10 bucks and works quite well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/volks...473447808.html

Task : Replace OEM stick antenna of the Vento / Polo
Time : 10 - 20 mins
Brightness level: 7 years and above
Package Components : Sharkfin antenna, Nut and Bolt, Double sided adhesive strip
Other requirements : Paper cutter(sharp), Hair dryer, a beer(s) , friend(s)

Step 1 : Take out the screw and nut from the packet and screw it on to the sharkfin antenna hole. Stuff the entire copper cable into the antenna cable.

Step 2 : Take the double sided adhesive strip provided, remove the white backing paper and stick it on the sharkfin antenna base. This adhesive is quite strong but pretty thin so the gap between the car roof and the antenna base is minimal

Step 3 : With the cutter Make 2 cuts on the red coloured 3M adhesive backing. This should be on the narrow side and enables easy removal once the cable has been screwed on to the car.

Step 3: Go to the car, switch on the radio and check present reception. Keep it on and park your friend in/near the car to note any changes while you fiddle with the antenna. Alternately use a blue tooth speaker that you can place near you while working.

Step 4 : Clean the roof and adjoining area of the antenna preferably with water and wipe dry.

Step 5 : Unscrew the existing antenna. Its better to keep the antenna screwed on while cleaning so that water does not accidentally go into the hole when cleaning.

Step 6 : Use the hair dryer and make the adhesive softer by blowing hot air on it. I didn't have access to one so did not do it.

Step 7 : Screw on the bolt of the shark fin antenna and make it tight. Evaluate the radio reception. If your life is sorted, proceed. If not, there's more to life than shark fin antennas.

Step 8: Remove the red colour 3M adhesive backing and ask your friend to check the alignment as you place it on the roof. If needed get a white board marker to mark the position of the antenna before you stick. Make sure the alignment is perfect before sticking the antenna on. Because.

Step 8 : Keep the original antenna safely. Throw package and backing strips into the dustbin.

Observations :
Colour matching:
I have a titanium beige Vento and the brown colour was almost an exact match. I'd give it a 9.7/10.
Radio reception
I was quite surprised to note that the radio reception was unchanged during the entire process. Even without any antenna the reception was just fine! I'm guessing it'll help when you travel out of city limits.
Adhesive quality
Since it is stuck on the roof i have no idea what long term exposure to rain / jet wash will do. For now it seems solid. Will update here, but i'm thinking of ordering one more as standby.

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-cuts.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-img_2187.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-img_21861.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Installing the OEM sharkfin antenna-img_2178.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2016 at 07:22. Reason: Rule # 11.
famousshoes is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 09:10   #37
BHPian

Re: VW vento DIY: Installing a sharkfin antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Observations :
Colour matching:
I have a titanium beige Vento and the brown colour was almost an exact match. I'd give it a 9.7/10.
I have the new toffee brown Vento, and I thought brown would be the match for it, but you said that brown was an exact match for beige?

I would also like to know if doing this would void any warranty to the head unit or electrical wiring? Did you confirm with any of the Authorised VW Service Advisors?
Old 27th March 2016, 13:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
I have the new toffee brown Vento, and I thought brown would be the match for it, but you said that brown was an exact match for beige?
yes its an almost exact match with the titanium beige shade of the vento. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a toffee brown shade. i guess black may be a good option. Alternately you could send the seller a picture of your car and ask if they have a toffee brown shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
I would also like to know if doing this would void any warranty to the head unit or electrical wiring? Did you confirm with any of the Authorised VW Service Advisors?
I did not check with the SA. I don't think it should be a problem though, since one is not meddling with electrical connections. Ive noticed that once the car moves out of city limits the FM quality drops, like on the express way to pune etc. Im not sure if this is the same with stock antennas. maybe some one who has the original antenna can verify. With in the city however it is perfect. Plus that SD card slot is a great idea, fill it with your music, the sound quality is great !
Old 30th August 2016, 20:23   #39
BHPian

Re: DIY - Installing the OEM Sharkfin Antenna on a VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Add one more to the list . I also got the OEM antenna from ECS tuning. After installing it the radio would not receive a signal from any of the FM stations in Bangalore. Touching the antenna made no difference in my case. I have the RCD 510 head unit. For now I have reverted back to the whip antenna. Were any of you guys able to get the antenna working?
I had some free time on my hands and I finally figured out the problem with the FM reception while using OEM shark fin antenna. The problem turned out to be with the connector of the splitter cable that is needed to connect the antenna cable to the RCD 510. There was no loose connection with the connector itself, the connectors snapped together just fine but the wires were apparently not in contact. After removing the connector and connecting the wire directly to the antenna cable, the FM reception is fine.
Old 13th May 2017, 19:41   #40

Quote:
Radio reception
I was quite surprised to note that the radio reception was unchanged during the entire process. Even without any antenna the reception was just fine! I'm guessing it'll help when you travel out of city limits.
I own a 2015 Vento and I've been planning to get a shark fin for some time now. Contradictory to what you said, I experience a complete loss of signal when I remove the screwed on stock antenna which is exactly the same antenna in your pictures. The radio goes from loud clear sound to complete blank static when I remove the antenna. Now I'm skeptical about my decision on getting shark fin. Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
Old 14th May 2017, 09:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag_pv View Post
I own a 2015 Vento and I've been planning to get a shark fin for some time now. Contradictory to what you said, I experience a complete loss of signal when I remove the screwed on stock antenna which is exactly the same antenna in your pictures. The radio goes from loud clear sound to complete blank static when I remove the antenna. Now I'm skeptical about my decision on getting shark fin. Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
I had the same issue & reverted back to the stock antenna. My suggestion is to stick with the stock antenna.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 19:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I had the same issue & reverted back to the stock antenna. My suggestion is to stick with the stock antenna.
Thank you for your suggestion but the black stock antenna whip was just not pleasing to my eyes. I went out on a limb and ordered an antenna from Amazon for a reasonable price of 600/- INR. It arrived within a few days and I've tested it. I'm happy to report that there is no significant loss in signal quality. I noticed a very small degradation in volume but it's nothing serious. Installing the shark fin was an easy task and is clearly described by famousshoes in a previous post. In context, the slight loss in volume is compensated by the subtle aesthetic improvements.
Parag_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag_pv View Post
Thank you for your suggestion but the black stock antenna whip was just not pleasing to my eyes. I went out on a limb and ordered an antenna from Amazon for a reasonable price of 600/- INR. It arrived within a few days and I've tested it. I'm happy to report that there is no significant loss in signal quality. I noticed a very small degradation in volume but it's nothing serious. Installing the shark fin was an easy task and is clearly described by famousshoes in a previous post. In context, the slight loss in volume is compensated by the subtle aesthetic improvements.
ah thats good to know. infact i ve reverted to the stock one (which i had kept safe) because the sharkfin antenna paint started peeling and didnt look so aesthetic anymore . I shall order another one soon or look for the OEM ones that the skoda cars have. Also could you please post a link to the one you got off amazon. thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 14:38   #44

Quote:
ah thats good to know. infact i ve reverted to the stock one (which i had kept safe) because the sharkfin antenna paint started peeling and didnt look so aesthetic anymore . I shall order another one soon or look for the OEM ones that the skoda cars have. Also could you please post a link to the one you got off amazon. thanks
I hope I don't face the same issues as you did. I originally got the shark fin in white as that was the only available shade and I got it painted at the Volkswagen showroom. The paint job seems to be of good quality and I would suggest that you paint your existing shark fin instead of spending money on a new antenna.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links in the forum [Point 4a in the announcements]. But I'll post it since you asked.

http://www.amazon.in/Auto-Pearl-Premium-Replacement-Receiver/dp/B0126K4VZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501318636&sr=8-1&keywords=car+shark+fin
Parag_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:03   #45
BHPian

I've ordered a shark fin for my 2014 Polo Highline (short stubby antenna type).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...999.264.SKTxqf

I hardly play FM radio so I would not be disappointed if there was any loss of audio reception. This swap is just for a cosmetic upgrade and to allow for a better fit of the car's cover. The antenna would bend quite a bit due to the weight of the cover pushing downwards.

I have paid Rs. 330. Comes with free shipping to India. ETA 3 weeks.

Will update on this sellers colour match (SILVER) and quality of the product once it is delivered!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks