Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 11:10   #1
BHPian

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote

Hi all,

Just as I suspected, the treatment by Hyundai ASS on my car key FOB battery drain issue did not work and as usual the battery drained completely in 4 days. So now with the spare key taken out of the picture, I had to search for options to repair my original FOB keypad. On searching, I found two options:

Option 1 (the one I opted for, later realizing option 2 was more economical and better):
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hyundai-i20-K...item3f3ff24210

Option 2 (more economical and better because if you compare the two, boot opener button pad has missing text - 'hold' in option 1):
http://www.ebay.in/itm/PACK-OF-TWO-2...item418a8d4ef3

I would suggest that one should always keep a spare keypad in stock, because they might become obsolete/unavailable with new face lifted models being released almost every other year.

Now because I will be using two keys as references in my DIY below, let me define a glossary so that its easier to follow:

Key 1 - original key FOB with worn out keypads, the one that is being repaired.
Key 2 - lemon spare key FOB with battery drain issue.

Ok so shown below is Key 1 - the condition being primarily due to rubber quality used in the keypad worsened by the 'manicured' thumb nail of my wife which by default rests on the close keypad button when carrying in hands and occasional fiddling between the boot opener and close button. Alongside the key FOB is the purchased keypad from ebay.

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192444.jpg

Now, its very important to realize that using the key in such a condition poses danger to the IC circuit and sensor beneath the keypad, being exposed to dirt and water/moisture. So best option is to look at replacement of the keypad.

Pic below shows the only tool required for doing this job. The screwdriver blade should be thin enough to go in, without damaging the surrounding plastic of the key and should be wide enough to take out the keypad without tearing it out (in case you just want to clean the metal contacts underneath and replace the keypad after cleaning)

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192537.jpg

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192629.jpg

Now using the screwdriver, gently try to pull out the keypad as depicted in the pic below

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192747.jpg

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192806.jpg

In my case because of the extreme worn out condition of the keypad, it gave in, when being pulled out. The pic below shows the exposed metal contacts beneath the keypad frame.

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192932.jpg

Now ideally the keypad frame has to be taken out too, in order to fix the keypad jacket over it. It can also be removed in the same manner as the keypad using the screw driver. The pic below demonstrates that:

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_192953.jpg

However, please note that it might not really be needed to do the above step. In my case I was easily able to nudge in the new keypad over the frame using my finger nails to slide in the edges of the keypad over the attached keypad frame. It was done in less than a minute. Avoided a lot of effort and time if removing the frame, fixing the keypad jacket over and then fixing back the frame. After sliding in the keypad, Key 1 looked as shown below. Key 1 is the left one and the Key 2 is on the right. Is there any difference you note? Yes there is one, check out the description of option 1 and option 2 mentioned above. But hardly makes a difference does it?

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_193615.jpg

Lastly moved my LTD keychain from Key 2 to Key 1.

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-20141117_193748.jpg

Key 1 is as good as new, and working like a charm.
Now, need to figure out how to get the Key 2 IC repaired in Bangalore. Pointers anyone?

References:

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2014 at 16:04. Reason: Copying your amazing DIY to a new thread :)
raveesh_k is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote

Mod Note: Copied your amazing DIY post into a new thread. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 18:17   #3
BHPian

Thanks. I had recently ordered the same. The key pad was torn and HASS was telling to replace the entire key costing around 3000 Rs. So I got this replacement from ebay and did a DIY.

However to make matters better for future I additionally covered the key fob using transparent wide width tape. Gave a few rounds. Makes the key look rustic but I m sure it will help sustain for long.

Same has happened for my right wing mirror. Just the back cover has fallen off. But HASS wants to replace the entire assembly costing 4000 Rs. If anyone knows a site where I can buy just the cover please let me know. I m fine with garish chrome ones too if I don't get white. Mine is the earlier i20 Asta (pre-nexgen version).
p'arth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 01:57   #4
D C
BHPian

Thanks raveesh for a detailed DIY solution. My Verna keypad worn out just like this within 2 years of usage. This post gave me the confidence to fix it myself.
I am sure this is due to inferior quality of the rubber, I don't have sharp nails and my key is in the same condition as yours
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 10:24   #5
BHPian

Background to this DIY lies here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ery-drain.html

Cheers!
raveesh_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 14:35   #6
BHPian

Thanks for sharing an amazing DIY. The key of my Chevy Cruze was also damaged in the same fashion by the service guys at Chevy ASC. A new one was provided FOC by the ASC after one month of damage, haggling with the GM to prove that the damage was done at their end and then having to visit twice to get the key programmed. But what is surprising to know is that the Hyundai ASC quoted an amount of INR 12000 as the cost of a new key fob for i20 when a new one for Chevy Cruze costs just INR 6500 (as quoted by the Chevy ASC).
luvtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 15:38   #7
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
But what is surprising to know is that the Hyundai ASC quoted an amount of INR 12000 as the cost of a new key fob for i20
I am not surprised Hyundai quoted INR 12,000/- for a key fob. When I saw the new projector headlamps on the 2014 Verna, I asked them for the price if I need to replace my headlamps. They quoted Rs.90,000/- for the set.

All auto manufacturers quote high price for their unique spares to make sure they stay unique. Sadly, their pricing is not regulated by any authority
Old 20th November 2014, 20:34   #8
BHPian

Are the vento and rapid keys the same?

Can anyone confirm?
Old 20th November 2014, 21:34   #9
BHPian

I'm having the same issue with the Manza key remote. Tata quotes 3k for key replacement (2 keys). They will not replace just the covers. I hunted down a shop in Lamington road which said they have just the cases (250 per case) but it's not in stock. Surprisingly most auto shops in Bombay have no clue how to procure just the case. Next stop was Asher keymaker in Dadar who will not provide just the case, but will replace the entire key. 2k for two keys. I'm still hunting to replace just the case. Any of you can help me out with places in Bombay? EBay and other online sites don't seem to have just the case in stock.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
I'm having the same issue with the Manza key remote. Tata quotes 3k for key replacement (2 keys). They will not replace just the covers. I hunted down a shop in Lamington road which said they have just the cases (250 per case) but it's not in stock. Surprisingly most auto shops in Bombay have no clue how to procure just the case. Next stop was Asher keymaker in Dadar who will not provide just the case, but will replace the entire key. 2k for two keys. I'm still hunting to replace just the case. Any of you can help me out with places in Bombay? EBay and other online sites don't seem to have just the case in stock.
I am not too sure if this would help, but I came across this website dealing with spare key shells. I did check if they have anything in stock for TATA but looks like they dont. Still why dont you call them and check:

http://flipkeys.in/

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2014, 09:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesh_k View Post
I am not too sure if this would help, but I came across this website dealing with spare key shells. I did check if they have anything in stock for TATA but looks like they dont. Still why dont you call them and check:

http://flipkeys.in/

Cheers!
Thanks Raveesh, I'd checked this also online but didn't call. I'll try that.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:27   #12
BHPian

Check out www.Keyzone.in for silicone covers for key fobs. I recently bought covers for my Octavia key fob. A bit expensive at 399 bucks a piece but worth the money I think and also makes rather bland Octavia key look more attractive.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I am not surprised Hyundai quoted INR 12,000/- for a key fob.
Ok this shouldn't surprise you as well..

Volkswagen/Skoda don't replace remote key FOBs, they change the entire lock set for "only" Rs.40,000/- for Polo/Vento/Rapid. Non-remote replacement key costs Rs.12,000 only.

(quoted by VW West, Motinagar, Delhi 1.5 years back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post

Can anyone confirm?

Rapid and Vento keys are the same except for the logo on the back.
mishraak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 13:54   #14
BHPian

i was told that i would cost rs 25,000 by volkswagen karnavati in ahmedbad. this was in november 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post

Can anyone confirm?
Old 21st November 2014, 15:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
i was told that i would cost rs 25,000 by volkswagen karnavati in ahmedbad. this was in november 2013
Seems the approach varies from dealer to dealer, and the dealer whom I enquired with was lethargic to program the key or maybe replacing the entire lock kit fetches him more bucks.

Most Viewed