Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 18:55   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Check out www.Keyzone.in for silicone covers for key fobs. I recently bought covers for my Octavia key fob. A bit expensive at 399 bucks a piece but worth the money I think and also makes rather bland Octavia key look more attractive.
Thanks a lot, Sunny. Nothing on the site. I'll call and check. Will update if there's any luck.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:55   #17
BHPian

Raveesh, many thanks for posting the solution with a detailed explanation. I immediately ordered the keypad after viewing your thread. Received the keypad yesterday and have already replaced the worn-out keypad with the new one. Your solution worked like a charm! Cheers
interest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 14:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I am not surprised Hyundai quoted INR 12,000/- for a key fob. When I saw the new projector headlamps on the 2014 Verna, I asked them for the price if I need to replace my headlamps. They quoted Rs.90,000/- for the set.

All auto manufacturers quote high price for their unique spares to make sure they stay unique. Sadly, their pricing is not regulated by any authority
I'm actually surprised they quoted so much for the Key fob. I'd recently visited the Hyundai Service Center and they had these keys on display with the price tag as well. They cost 2,000/- for the entire key and of course labour charge might be separate.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
I'm actually surprised they quoted so much for the Key fob. I'd recently visited the Hyundai Service Center and they had these keys on display with the price tag as well. They cost 2,000/- for the entire key and of course labour charge might be separate.
What you might have seen is just the flip key case:
http://flipkeys.in/product/hyundai-i20-flip-key-case/

And yes, its 1500/- online with Hyundai charging a premium on top. But please remember that its just the case, there is the key, IC and the sensor that goes into it. If you just want to change the case you may do by ordering this, however in case your IC/sensor has conked off, its a different story altogether.

In my case, there is a problem with the IC and what Hyundai claimed was that they cannot replace the IC alone, I would have to go for the entire key set again - key case, with programmed IC and sensor and maybe who knows a change in the ignition key unit as well.

Cheers!
Old 26th November 2014, 11:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Got the silicone key cover for my Polo. These are now freely available in ebay for most of the vehicles..
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...&_skc=50&rt=nc

Good way of protecting the key fob from scratches and worn out pads. Though I liked the product overall, the fitting needs to be improved. The cover feels to be a little loose as in the third picture. Over all an OK buy for around 300Rs.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-key1.jpg  

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-key2.jpg  

DIY: Replacing the worn-out rubber buttons of a Keyless Entry Remote-key3.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 26th November 2014 at 11:25.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
I enquired recently for my friend's i20. The key fob might cost 2000 but the labour costs more. For key reading etc, they told me total would be 6000 per key. This for replacing the key itself (my friend's key broke exactly in the joint). Now, we did some jugaad and attached the key to the key fob and manually lock the car.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 00:06   #22
BHPian

Did anyone try this for the igen i20 key fob? Not the higher Asta models, but the Magna and Sportz keys? It has a silver varnish/ring sort of thing in place of the frame, under the keypad.

Replaced the keypad, but it isnt exactly a flush fit. If I invert the key, it might just come out. I tried fitting back the old keypad too, but it too ended up with the same result.

Am I missing something here? Is there a proper method to do this?
Old 25th December 2014, 21:51   #23
BANNED

Evening gents, could anyone help me in sourcing a keypad for the polo/vento?
All I could find were the silicone covers and the keypad for the i20 and the Verna.
Help would be appreciated. I would rather invest in the keypad rather than the silicone cover. Although if it isn't available, then I guess i'll have to live with it.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:23   #24
BANNED

Oh yes.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Foldi...213798826.html
Old 14th August 2017, 06:48   #25
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Duster Key Fob Replacement

Did a DIY Replacement of the Duster Key Fob. Originally posted on the Official Review thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4251147

Before

In Progress

After
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 08:08   #26
BHPian

My Hyundai i10 (2010) remote key also has the rubber torn. I ordered the rubber for Verna (which fits into the i10 shell) but unfortunately though the size was correct, neither I nor the locksmith couldn't put it in. So a waste of around Rs.250/- bucks for this.

Unfortunately couldn't get the frame within the shell either out either so the locksmith put some Superglue and glued it. In the process of opening the shell a piece where the actual metal key rotates broke. He then told me this may hold for a few days. Unfortunately after 2 minutes the whole shell broke apart.

This guy luckily has fobs from various cars (and does programming too). He found a Verna fob (note that there are a couple of versions of this fob), but couldn't get the key to fold. A few fobs (and tries) later, he found one and changed it. Works OK now - he charged me Rs.1,200/- for the fob plus fixing.

On the other side, I checked with Hyundai and on their parts system the key (entire fob plus key and transponder circuit) is Rs.7300/- plus tax which is highway robbery. And - once you get the part, the key has to be cut at a locksmith and then brought back to the Hyundai guys to program the key.

For guys in Bangalore the name of the guy I went to is Parvez and his shop's name is Fapsco (he is opposite the mosque right before the bridge across the railway track. His mobile is 9886186516. I don't know how good he is for other cars but he seems to have fixed my issue. Claims that he can program most car keys and also offers fobs and spare keys. Side business is mobile phone dealer.

Last edited by motorguy : 10th December 2017 at 08:10. Reason: Spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks