Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 12:30   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Windshield washer low-level sensor & dash warning

This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to just lower the sensor into the tank from its mouth, suspended by its wires, their connections suitably sealed, and let the wires out through a small hole or slot at the cap end? If you know the shape of the tank you could estimate when the sensor reaches the bottom and then keep it about a couple of inches off in order to give you advance warning.
What do you think?
Old 9th March 2015, 15:11   #17
BHPian

Nice DIY Gannu as usual. Although be careful next time with getting underneath the car with just that jack, it is really dangerous as pointed out by Jeoren.

Anyway, my biggest query of this mod is that people with regular MFD/stock intruments won't be able to do this, will they? Do the stock intruments have a washer fluid level empty warning light? or this is possible only on the upgraded cluster like yours?

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 16:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

If you don't have stands, bricks and pieces of wood (to protect the paint) are better than nothing, I guess.

But the big thing here, for me, is learning by other people's mistakes.

I have not taken out my VW jack, I didn't know what it looks like, and I hadn't checked the manual, which I certainly should have done. We never know when we may have to change a wheel in the dark.

I'm grateful for the important lessons learned.
Old 9th March 2015, 17:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

Very good DIY, wonder why manufacturers conveniently omit such simple stuff and try to save money :-/

As far as jack usage, terrible. Atleast place the removed wheel under the body/running board so that it will take the load off if the jack slips.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 18:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Moksh, I have a hunch this will work with the newer clusters. There's a very simple way to test this.

Enable the option in VCDS and if your cluster throws the warning, it supports it. The warning goes off when pin# 17 is earthed which happens when the water inside the tank completes the circuit between the 2 probes of the sensor.

Even this sensor is not really required. Insert 2 metal probes in the tank by making 2 small holes and you are done. You can even eliminate a dia. 25 hole in the tank!
I still have to order the VCDS Cable from aliexpress, that is unless i can find someone in mumbai who is willing to help me with it
Old 10th March 2015, 09:41   #21
Team-BHP Support

Many thanks for the feedback guys. I know the jacking part and supporting the car was messed up but I will exercise caution in the future. I am going to need a pair of jack stands while planning and fabricating the engine sump guard DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Wouldn't it have been better if the sensor was fixed a little higher instead of the bottom most position?

It would be more useful if we are prompted to fill the tank with some fluid still left in the tank instead of saying that the tank is empty (which will be more times than not, evident).
Even with the sensor in its current position, there’s still some fluid left in it when the warning comes up on the cluster. No harm in locating the sensor a bit higher though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My only concern is the silicone sealant which is used to hold the sensor, over the period of time they tend to become hard and start to loose the grip on the tank body. You may need to inspect them on regular intervals and keep re-applying them.
Actually with the o-ring on the sensor, there is no leakage if the hole diameter is 26 mm. Anything more and the oil seal starts wobbling which is when the fluid starts leaking. In our case, the o-ring was a press fit. The sealant was applied just as a precautionary measure. An alternative is a thin dab of m-seal around the edges instead of the silicone sealant - maintenance free for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to just lower the sensor into the tank from its mouth, suspended by its wires, their connections suitably sealed, and let the wires out through a small hole or slot at the cap end? If you know the shape of the tank you could estimate when the sensor reaches the bottom and then keep it about a couple of inches off in order to give you advance warning.
What do you think?
The pipe that goes from the tank to the engine bay has bends. If you are suggesting inserting 2 insulated wires with just the ends stripped, that would also work. The blue cap at the top is best left untouched. Maybe 2 small holes at the neck. Will work for sure. Like I said before, this sensor is nothing but 2 bare metal probes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Anyway, my biggest query of this mod is that people with regular MFD/stock intruments won't be able to do this, will they? Do the stock intruments have a washer fluid level empty warning light? or this is possible only on the upgraded cluster like yours?
Quoting my earlier response towards the same query:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Moksh, I have a hunch this will work with the newer clusters. There's a very simple way to test this.

Enable the option in VCDS and if your cluster throws the warning, it supports it.
If you have a VCDS cable, enable the warning and let us know if it shows up in the cluster. The warning takes 20 seconds from the key-turn to ACC before it shows up on the cluster so do wait and check. If it does, you’re good to go! I have a hunch, it will.

Also figured out a way for enabling the seat belt warning on the cluster which is sorely missed on the Polo. But this is a bit more complicated since it requires access to the airbag control unit (ACU)'s 50-pin connector which is located ahead of the gear shifter so will to dismantle a whole lot of trims. Skipping it for now.

VW Polo DIY: Windshield washer low-level sensor & dash warning-bduknk6.png

Location of the ACU in the car:
Name:  440b7799b8396c8c29407b73a5d5d552.png
Views: 3066
Size:  72.1 KB

Source: Partsbase
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 21:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
What do you think?
I was thinking same yesterday. From looks of it, the sensor looks like a conductor material with 2 pins. When water level goes below certain level, current wont flow across hence causing voltage drop at empty slot (pin 17) where this sensor is connected. This voltage drop is read through VCDS coding to display the warning message. So if one can place this say at 25%, we can get an advanced warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very good DIY, wonder why manufacturers conveniently omit such simple stuff and try to save money :-/
I feel more than saving money, manufactures provide these features only in premium cars so that owner feels happy about premium paid and show off "see my car warns me even about washer fluid level"

very nice DIY Gannu. I am sure you have inspired many of us here to start doing small but useful DIY. By the way, what is that yellow tape on headlight?
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 22:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
By the way, what is that yellow tape on headlight?
Link

Old 9th July 2015, 20:01   #24
BHPian

Excellent article. Would anyone know where in Mumbai could i buy windshield wiping fluid tank for my VW vento? Last time i gave my car for servicing, Shaman motors returned it with a broken windshield fluid tank and so i need to buy a new one. Any suggestions?
Old 9th July 2015, 20:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohank024 View Post
Excellent article. Would anyone know where in Mumbai could i buy windshield wiping fluid tank for my VW vento? Last time i gave my car for servicing, Shaman motors returned it with a broken windshield fluid tank and so i need to buy a new one. Any suggestions?

Cant you fix it? Usually these tanks can be easily repaired with a soldering gun. Just melt the bits together.

Jeroen
Old 5th August 2015, 17:05   #26
BHPian

Has anybody tried doing the same on the polo with stock instrument cluster?
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 15:07   #27
BANNED

Hi Gannu,

Basically I am from Anand City, Gujarat. And firstly am proud ke AAP GUJARATI CHO and secondly you are my technical GURU and have been following all your DIY projects. And we share same place to source parts at considerably cheaper rates from Aliexpress. Only difference is that you do it in VW Polo and I try them in Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG. As, please do keep on doing the upgrades and will follow you and will contact you in case of query if you allow. Take care.
patel8585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 08:53   #28
BHPian

Sorry for this lame question. But does this mean that Polo doesn't give a low/no washer fluid warning light as default? Last night I found that washer fluid jet is not working, and I presumed it to be a service issue, something like a failed jet together with malfunctioning dashboard warning light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks