Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 00:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
No, that is not correct. When You press the accelerator you open the butterfly but you also, on most car engine carburetor inject (pump) extra fuel in. So next to what the Venturi draws, additional fuel is mechanically entered into the mixture. Thats why the mixture goes rich, not lean. Trying to accelerate with a lean mixture tends to be not so successful!
Jeroen
Thats true for Carb's with an accelerating pump. I was referring to one without.
Old 20th March 2015, 03:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats true for Carb's with an accelerating pump. I was referring to one without.

I have been working on cars all my life. I have owned dozens and dozens of carburetor car and even today own a couple of classic car with carburetor. I dont think i have come across a carburetor on car that doesn't have some mechanism to pump extra fuel into the engine when accelerating. By the way it also the exact same principle/mechanism that primes the carburator prior to starting the engine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Jeroen
Old 20th March 2015, 11:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been working on cars all my life. I have owned dozens and dozens of carburetor car and even today own a couple of classic car with carburetor. I dont think i have come across a carburetor on car that doesn't have some mechanism to pump extra fuel into the engine when accelerating. By the way it also the exact same principle/mechanism that primes the carburator prior to starting the engine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Jeroen

Where did I even mention that the carburettor does not have an arrangement for extra fuel during power operation.

What is the argument here?

I guess, the discussion point was, if the Accelerator of a carb'd car is connected directly to anything else other than the throttle plate? I only said it is not (apart from vehicles with accelerating pump and that too in certain cases)

Fuelling is mainly controlled through the suction created by the expanding air, or the engine. The accelerator cable doesn't (Accelerating pump case to be taken as an exception)

For the sake of simplicity and to avoid discussing something in detail which is irrelevant in this thread, I was taking the example of a simple downdraft carb.

From the same Wiki post that you have posted.

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-untitled.jpg
Old 20th March 2015, 18:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think i have come across a carburetor on car that doesn't have some mechanism to pump extra fuel into the engine when accelerating.
I have (and am not talking of Amals and Bings). And am sure so has Anirban considering that (in India) his favourite car came with two carb setups (both Solex M32PBIC), one of which did not have an accelerator pump.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 18:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Where did I even mention that the carburettor does not have an arrangement for extra fuel during power operation.

What is the argument here?

H]

No argument, obviously you have great general insights in carburetor and you have that great ability to simplify things. Kudo's to you to come up with these general simplifications.

When it comes to technical stuff i am pretty anal and I like detail and in my experience have rarely come across car engine carburetors without some acceleration mechanism. So a generalization or simplification that doesn't mention it, is not correct in my opinion. Maybe cars in India are different. The carburetor on my 1975 Royal Enfield Bullet is at least a lot simpler then what I typically have on my classic cars.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 19:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I have (and am not talking of Amals and Bings). And am sure so has Anirban considering that (in India) his favourite car came with two carb setups (both Solex M32PBIC), one of which did not have an accelerator pump.

Regards

Sutripta

Trust you to come up with this! i understand you are referring to a dual carb set up, with only one of them having an accelerator pump? I guess technically you are correct in claiming to know an eng carb without accelerator pump. However, that car would not be going anywhere if the other carb did not have one!

Why this set up? Was it a cost issue, or is there a technical reason. I would have thought it might make tuning a little easier if both carbs are identical? Truth is, multi carb engines tend to be a royal pita even when the carb are identical, let alone when they start to differ.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 19:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i understand you are referring to a dual carb set up, with only one of them having an accelerator pump?
Actually no.

The Fiat 1100D/ Premier Padmini came with a number of carb setups for essentially the same carb (all of India used the same carb, a Solex design made under license by Ucal. Results of our import substitution policy in the not so distant past.) There was a setup with a 20.5 mm venturi, which did not have an accelerator pump (a plastic plate was fitted where the pump otherwise would have been) and a 22 mm venturi setup which did have an accelerator pump.

Am sure the discussion can be carried forward by the (very passionate) Fiat fans on this forum.

SUs, by their very nature did not have an accelerator pump. And no matter what SU claimed, the dashpot was for psychological purposes only!

Note for others: Ever wonder why on bikes one is supposed to roll open the throttle, not snap it open?

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Talking of strange setups, I once had a Dell Orto twin barrel (similar to the more common DCOEs) which had idling control on only one barrel!
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
one needs to capture the source either through the slats or point to the ground (in case a large IC+plumbing blocks the way).
Working on that santosh. I was thinking of a hood scoop, just over the conical filter. But then in rainy season, there are chances of water getting in through the same. So the thought on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Just to confirm the OBD2 scanner can be used as a basic test to confirm if the CAI actually makes any difference, I had tried it out few months ago on a stock Figo (2014) and mine (2010).
Have called for it, the HEX+CAN+USB cable. Will upload the results as soon as i do some more tweaks.
Old 2nd September 2021, 23:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
I own a 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi elegance. From the company it gets mere 70 BHP. Though it has a turbo charged engine, the grunt that is much needed at the lower and higher end was lacking. So i opted for handy modification of letting the engine breath in and out uninterrupted. I ordered the Cosworth CAI from eBay and decided to install it myself.

Tools needed -

1. A special set of screw drivers
2. A drilling machine
3. A universal spanner
4. A rubber fuel line of any two wheeler
5. Cable ties

Installation

1. Note the boxes shown in first "PRE Installation" picture. That is the complete factory intake system, which has to go to fit the new intake.

2. The red circle in the same picture is the air intake sensor that should be retained.

3. The green circle in the second picture may be the connection to the oxygen sensor as it is attached to the inside of filter box, below the filter. So that also has to be retained.

4. Going ahead with the removal of the factory system, its plain and simple. Just detach all the screws that are holding it. Two screws are inside the filter.

5. Take out the complete assembly.

6. Now, to attach the new system, Cosworth has provided with a double bent steel rod. (Shown in the last picture)

7. Secure it to the hole next to the battery box with a nut-bolt.

8. Now attach the steel connecting pipe to the original intake pipe as shown in the picture.

9. The intake sensor is on the factory intake pipe, so no modification needed there. Leave it as it is. But to attach the hose that carries the filtered air for the oxygen sensor, i had to drill a hole in the connecting pipe of the new intake system. (Clamp and a drilled hole shown with blue circles)

10. Connect the new fuel line to the original hose and secure it with the clamps. The other end of this line should be put through the hole that we just made on the connecting pipe after the POD Filter, so that it carries freshly filtered air.

11. Once the assembly is complete, put the POD filter on the steel pipe and tighten the clamp. This finishes the installation process.

12. One has to reset the ECU for the modifications to work effectively. I did that by disconnecting the battery for 40-45 mins and then re-connecting it. Let the engine run idle for 10-15 mins.

13. The modification has worked so far. The power is there at both low and high ends. Next job will be putting a FFE. Will keep you guys posted.

Regards
Keep Revvin

PRE Installation, Red circle shows the Intake sensor
Attachment 1350281

The Intake from COSWORTH
Attachment 1350282

Green circle is Oxygen carrying hose, original filter box
Attachment 1350283

Hole drilled in the connecting steel pipe and clamp attached shown with blue circles
Attachment 1350284

Cleaner engine bay after Installation
Attachment 1350285

Double bent steel rod that came with the System
Attachment 1350286
This looks similar to any conical filter upgrade.
Nevertheless, I have performed a Diy Version of it in my '17 Honda City iVtec.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1630604431

At first, I had purchased a K&N conical filter with customized Stainless steel piping, having slots for inlet pipe and MAF sensor.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1630604542

I enjoyed it very much but after some time it didn't please me in terms of performance so I sought to make a Cold Air Intake by using a suitable box.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1630604282

It all started with cardboard and paper. I had the design ready within a day but kept it aside due to the lockdown that struck in April in Delhi. I almost forgot about it till a month back when I found that blueprint I made while cleaning the garage.

I rushed to my local welder and had gotten made a Steel Box out of the design I had created, and to my surprise, it fitted perfectly without any major gaps. The gaps were filled when I had placed a rubber beading on every edge of it. Steel because it doesn't conduct heat, I could've gone Aluminium because of its lightweight but it would've just spoiled the reason for COLD AIR intake since it conducts heat well. It was eventually painted gloss black with spray cans and clear coated. It sits on the previous mountings I used for the filter's piping and one from near the front grill made sure it didn't interfere with the engine.

After recharging the K&N filter without the kit (mild gear oil) I felt a major increase in performance since it was not sucking hot air from the engine anymore. The car felt different and kept on pulling.
One month down the lane and it is still going strong.

Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f9.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f8.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f1.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f2.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f7.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f3.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f4.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f6.jpeg  

DIY - Cosworth Cold Air Intake install-f5.jpeg  

knxvb is offline   (1) Thanks