Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 14:04   #1
BHPian

DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy

DIY - Anti rust treatment and repainting a Maruti Gypsy MG410W rear cab.

History:
I own a 1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W bought in September 2014 (details on this thread) . It was a privately owned Gypsy (as opposed to auctioned armed forces / government vehicle) with a custom hardtop and interiors. I plan to keep and use this Gypsy for the next 5 years or so.

Problem:
The previous owner had a floor carpet and a heatlon sheet glued to the Gypsy floor for reduced road noise and a plush interior. However over the years, water has seeped through the carpet and the health sheet. This water was held in place by the health sheet, leading a lot of rust spots in the rear cabin floor. Fortunately most of this just surface rust and can be removed with a violent scraping of sandpaper and wire brush. Some parts of the cabin floor are also covered in dried carpet glue which lends the cab a dirty brown finish. Now before I embark on a week-long complete DIY rear cab cleanup, I was wondering if this sequence of steps is the correct way to do it.

Preconditions:
1. I do not have an access to a paint gun
2. I live high up in the mountains so the environment is relatively dust free

Planned Steps:
  1. Applying sandpaper and wire brush to remove existing paint / surface rust / carpet glue and to expose sheet metal. I plan to use a wooden block with 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it and then progressively move to a finer sandpaper. Cost ~ Rs 300 for sandpaper and wire brush. 3 days.
  2. Clean surface with thinner and alcohol
  3. Anti rust treatment with TUFSEAL RC800 CONVERUST. A Water based Rust Converter and Primer available on amazon india. Cost Rs 900. 1 day. From the supplier website: Converts Rust back to stable metal. Waterbased, Non Toxic. Overpaintable. Highly recommended primer coat in protective coating system. It cures at low temperature and very good wetting properties. No sandblasting required. Saves labor cost.
  4. Priming the floor with Zinc Phosphate Epoxy Primer using a paintbrush and roller. I have read that zinc phosphate primer should theoretically provides better rust protection as compared to a Red Oxide primer. Although, I am no empirical evidence to backup this fact. Cost of the primer - unknown. One to two litres should suffice. Zinc Phosphate Epoxy Primer information on Berger Paints website.
  5. Finish the top coat with a automotive matt white paint or aerosol spray paint. Time 2 days for 2 coats. Cost ~ Rs. 1000

Total
Total cost: Rs ~ 3500
Time: 7 days

Questions
  1. Does this sequence of steps seem correct? Am I missing something in this sequence?
  2. Any experience with Rust Converter chemical?
  3. Does anyone have experience with Zinc Phosphate Epoxy Primer? Is it really as good as the suggested link claims?
  4. Should I use aerosol spray can for top coat or a normal automotive paint with a paintbrush? Any advantages / disadvantages to either of these approaches?
  5. In addition, is there a way I can incorporate NVH reduction in the paint job itself? There are numerous underbody sound deadening coatings available. Are they worth the money? Should they be applied in lieu of primer, directly over the sheet metal or over the primer? Does it make sense to apply them inside the cab, or are they specific to underbody application only?

I plan to start work on the Gypsy this weekend.
Images
1. Rear cab overview
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0454.jpg

2. Wheel arches with dried carpet glue and rust
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0456.jpeg
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0458.jpg

3. Worst bit, may need to be cut off and a new metal sheet welded in place. Musing over what needs to be done. I am a fair welder, by the way.
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0457.jpg

Last edited by antihero : 19th March 2015 at 14:46. Reason: grammar checks and removed sms lingo
antihero is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 15:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th March 2015, 17:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'll be doing something similar in the coming week but I'll give my inputs here, although the amount of rust I'm dealing with is nothing compared to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Applying sandpaper and wire brush to remove existing paint / surface rust / carpet glue and to expose sheet metal. I plan to use a wooden block with 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it and then progressively move to a finer sandpaper. Cost ~ Rs 300 for sandpaper and wire brush. 3 days.

Clean surface with thinner and alcohol
Rather than thinner and alcohol, spray diesel and leave it for 10 minutes. Use a brush used to scrub tiles to rub and scrub the floor. This method will be faster than using thinner and alcohol. It will also help knock out loose rust flakes. Repeat if necessary.

Once done, wash the floor with surf/strong detergent to remove diesel residue. Dont worry if the surface starts to rust again as long as you do the rust treatment soon.

Use the wire brush to remove as much rust as possible. Don't bother with using sandpaper if you're going to use Tufseal Converust since you wont need to do any flattening per se after wire brush.

On my car though I'm not in a position to use sandpapers or wire brush (nooks and crannies) however I have couple of chemicals which will eat away rust on application and prep the surface for applying converust.

Quote:
Anti rust treatment with TUFSEAL RC800 CONVERUST. A Water based Rust Converter and Primer available on amazon india. Cost Rs 900. 1 day. From the supplier website: Converts Rust back to stable metal. Waterbased, Non Toxic. Overpaintable. Highly recommended primer coat in protective coating system. It cures at low temperature and very good wetting properties. No sandblasting required. Saves labor cost.
I have ordered the same as well, expecting to get it early next week.

Converust is similar to Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80. Open the link below, and click the "How to Use" tab to see detailed usage instructions. Use this after removing as much rust as possible from using wire brush.

http://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate-80

Quote:
Does this sequence of steps seem correct? Am I missing something in this sequence?
The sequence is correct; Glue Cleanup -> Rust Removal -> Rust treatment -> Primer -> top coat

Quote:
Should I use aerosol spray can for top coat or a normal automotive paint with a paintbrush? Any advantages / disadvantages to either of these approaches?

In addition, is there a way I can incorporate NVH reduction in the paint job itself? There are numerous underbody sound deadening coatings available. Are they worth the money? Should they be applied in lieu of primer, directly over the sheet metal or over the primer? Does it make sense to apply them inside the cab, or are they specific to underbody application only?
If you're going to do damping/NVH reduction coatings then I feel the paint finish is going to be immaterial since it will be covered anyway.

I will be damping all metal surfaces on my car using tar sheets. You can try the same but I'd suggest you apply this after primer and save on paint costs

http://www.ebay.in/itm/171607190284?...84.m1497.l2649

Then on top you can just lay a carpet and you will be all set. You can also add couple of layers of damping/tar sheets then proceed with carpeting.

Good luck!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 20th March 2015 at 17:14.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 18:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Rather than thinner and alcohol, spray diesel and leave it for 10 minutes. Use a brush used to scrub tiles to rub and scrub the floor. This method will be faster than using thinner and alcohol. It will also help knock out loose rust flakes. Repeat if necessary. Once done, wash the floor with surf/strong detergent to remove diesel residue. Dont worry if the surface starts to rust again as long as you do the rust treatment soon.
Good idea. The thinner and alcohol would have been longer and expensive

Quote:
Use the wire brush to remove as much rust as possible. Don't bother with using sandpaper if you're going to use Tufseal Converust since you wont need to do any flattening per se after wire brush.
I prefer using sandpaper to get it down to bare metal or atlas make the existing coat a bit rough so that it adheres better with primer

Quote:
The sequence is correct; Glue Cleanup -> Rust Removal -> Rust treatment -> Primer -> top coat
If you're going to do damping/NVH reduction coatings then I feel the paint finish is going to be immaterial since it will be covered anyway. I will be damping all metal surfaces on my car using tar sheets. You can try the same but I'd suggest you apply this after primer and save on paint costs. Then on top you can just lay a carpet and you will be all set. You can also add couple of layers of damping/tar sheets then proceed with carpeting.
Point noted. I need to read more about tar sheets and how they are used to make a valid reply. However your point about the sequence is duly noted.

Update:
The gypsy rear cab sandpaper priming is underway.
Prerequisites:
  1. Steel Wool
  2. 80 grit sandpaper
  3. Wood blocks
  4. Bucket and mug
  5. Vaseline

Steps:
  1. Wash cab with detergent. Pril or any dish washing liquid detergent in water makes a good start.
  2. Create a DIY sander block. Used an old table foot for a sander block and screwed sandpaper along its sides.

DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0494.jpeg
    DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0495.jpeg
  3. Use steel wool in the sander block to get rid of tough rust spots. Use liberal amount of water (bucket and mug) to keep the surface wet and hands free of steel wool strands.
  4. Use 80 grit sandpaper with the sanding block for less rusty sills.
  5. After finishing use liberal amounts of vaseline on your hands to keep them moisturised.

Today has been rediscovering the abrasive power of steel wool and 80 grit sandpaper. Most of the tough rust is dealt with, but it did require a lot of It will take a couple of days to complete but the results are encouraging. See before and after
Before
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0493.jpeg

After
DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy-img_0497.jpg

Note from Support - Please go through the forum rules (#11). Discussions involving alcohol in any context are not allowed.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd March 2015 at 15:12. Reason: Note inline
antihero is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:31   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy

I hope it's not too late, but whatever you do, please generously apply Wurth anti-corrosion coating before the paint. It is simply fabulous! Expensive, yet worth every paisa.

Based on Mod Jaggu's recommendation, I got my Jeep fully coated with Wurth back in 2011. I live right by the sea in Mumbai's awful weather. Still, there is no major formation of rust. Click here for more information.

Related Threads:

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:50   #6
BHPian

Re: DIY: Anti-rust treatment for a Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope it's not too late, but whatever you do, please generously apply Wurth anti-corrosion coating before the paint. It is simply fabulous! Expensive, yet worth every paisa.
Based on Mod Jaggu's recommendation, I got my Jeep fully coated with Wurth back in 2011. I live right by the sea in Mumbai's awful weather. Still, there is no major formation of rust.
  1. If you don't mind me asking, how "expensive" are we talking about here? A ballpark figure would be quite helpful.
  2. Can this coating go over the primer? Or is it a bare metal application? If tis is a post primer application, i can ask a few friends in Delhi to ship it across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Click here for more information.