Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:22   #31
BHPian

Re: The Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
LED
Great mod, I was about to start this mod on my suzuki also and guess where I stumbled while researching on this topic on the internet!

I have some points to share-

1) why did you buy new reflectors? they are already installed on the vehicle

2) fyi there are ready-made led lights available in the market, though may have to import them. (see picture on the bottom, these after market LEDs have brake light/indicator built in - even better!)

3) i can remove the tail lights, but i dont want to remove the bumper. If not, the only other option i can think of is removing only the top 4 screws, twist the bumper slightly outwards and then pulling the led wire out by hand - all without removing the entire bumper. Is it possible to get under the car and remove the reflector screw?

4) difficult question - I want to set up the lights such a way that when i turn on the parking lights switch - only front parking lights (small lights) and rear LED lights turn on (not the complete tail lights). I want the tail lights to turn on only when i have full headlights on. Is this possible?

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd October 2015 at 13:48.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:31   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
1) why did you buy new reflectors? they are already installed on the vehicle
Reason:
Quote:
Will the reflectors do the Job?
Even before I started to remove the OE Reflectors off the bumper, I went ahead to my usual MASS to enquire about the part and the price attached to it. When I learnt that they cost mere 82 INR each, I simply asked them to place the order. Mind you, till here I wasn’t even sure if my DIY will execute as I had no idea about the quality of reflectors or how they are constructed and whether they will help me install lights inside it.
Apart from this, the new reflectors would always help just in case if things went wrong whilst splitting open the OE reflectors as it wasn't an easy jo the way it was constructed.

You would appreciate if everything remained in shape than I go hunting for new reflectors after breaking the OE Ones . They cost less than 100 bucks each, not a big deal anyway.

In fact when I

Quote:
2) fyi there are ready-made led lights available in the market, though may have to import them. (see picture on the bottom, these after market LEDs have brake light/indicator built in - even better!)
I was very much aware of this when I was researching on this topic. There were many threads on this DIY where each one has actually installed "Readymade" reflector with LED. But again, you would appreciate that this was a DIY Project and why few things return maximum satisfaction when done the DIY way!

For that matter, at home, I do the plumbing job to the electrician's job myself and even carry out small little DIYs for a lot of BHPians friends in Bangalore right at my home. It doesn't generate extra income but certainly helps me call it a well executed weekend.

Even for this DIY too, I had bought a new OE Grill before cutting the OE. It had cost me some Rs. 4XX then. Always good to have a back-up, if not that exorbitant.
Quote:
3) i can remove the tail lights, but i dont want to remove the bumper. If not, the only other option i can think of is removing only the top 4 screws, twist the bumper slightly outwards and then pulling the led wire out by hand - all without removing the entire bumper. Is it possible to get under the car and remove the reflector screw?
Try your best. I doubt if it would be that easy mainly because you will need to use a screw driver to loosen the screw holding the reflector to the bumper.

As an advise you may jack up the car and remove the respective spare wheel and that can help you with some additional space and access this area. It is indeed possible that way but be sure that the clips securing the bumpers below the tail lamp area are back in place when you fix it back. Else this is sure to leave a bad gap.

Quote:
4) difficult question - I want to set up the lights such a way that when i turn on the parking lights switch - only front parking lights (small lights) and rear LED lights turn on (not the complete tail lights). I want the tail lights to turn on only when i have full headlights on. Is this possible?
By default your rear parking lights will come on along with the font as a standard set-up. Now if you don't want this and want the Reflectors to light up, you will have to pull out the wiring from the Tail lamp and route them to power the reflectors but the tail lamps will not get the power rendering them useless.

The original set-up works by supplying power to Front and Rear Parking lights when the switch is in Parking Mode. You don't really want to mess up this one to attain something that you are trying to even though its possible but you will surely need to run cables all the way from the front to the tail and certainly it will be a cryptic and a messy affair to deal with.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2015 at 15:35.
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:20   #33
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: LED Bumper Reflectors for the Ertiga

Nice DIY and attention to details in worl. Thanks for sharing with pictures.

Usually, red LED behind red screen gives more lumens out than white LED. White LED looks amber mostly if kept behind the red plastic.
shyamhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
DIY
Agreed, I love DIY because of the sense of satisfaction it gives. From replacing cracked mobile screen to sanding/drilling furniture and tiles to fixing car rattles to valve adjustment!

The only advantage I see with readymade device is that they have built in light for all 3 - indicator/brake/regular . Also they wont have reflector component - just straight see through red/amber light which some people may not want.

I will give up the idea of disabling rear tail lights in parking light mode. Let the tail lights stay on.

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd October 2015 at 19:19.
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The only advantage I see with readymade device is that they have built in light for all 3 - indicator/brake/regular . Also they wont have reflector component - just straight see through red/amber light which some people may not want.
True, without reflector the intensity of the LED will be better.

In fact, if someone is tailing me at night closely, its way too difficult to notice these LEDs as the reflection itself is more intense than the LEDs.
Old 28th February 2016, 02:43   #36

Wonderful job, it takes a lot of time, effort & patience to do it.

I had been wanting to do the same thing on my innova for the past 5 years, but it wasn't happening. Until I came across a video 3 years ago on youtube of this guy from Thailand installing ambient led lighting in his corolla. Then in the same video I saw him replacing the oem rear bumper reflectors with manufactured led reflectors. Searched online frantically to find nothing in India. Then finally, found them on ebay.in last year http://www.ebay.in/itm/Imported-Rear-Bumper-Led-Reflector-Tail-Brake-Warning-Light-Lamp-Toyota-Innova-/331624143240

Ordered them instantly, waited for them patiently, installed them immediately
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: LED Bumper Reflectors for the Ertiga-image.jpg  

gtr34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 21:12   #37
BHPian

Hi Parag,

I noticed that you have also fitted a spoiler on your ertiga. I was planning to fit the same on my ertiga and asked around Mumbai at maruti dealerships and auto parts shops too. I was told that they drill holes In order to fit the spoiler. Is this true? Please provide some insights on the installation if possible.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks