Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 17:01   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+

Hope I have understood your doubt correctly Gopa99!
Thanks a4anurag, I was inclined to think about the air bags as I have seen most american cars having a left extreme position for the impact sensor. It is actually very close to the aircon blower, so I thought may be the suzuki's too share this architecture.

[quote=Jeroen;3. I have all my car fitted with quick fit battery connectors. Dont even need tools to undo them and they make a pretty good antitheft / immobilisation device as well.
Jeroen[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a bright anti theft device Jeroen. Can you help me with the source for those, from where you got them installed?
Old 14th May 2015, 17:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Now coming to the question prevailing here regarding the airbag system disconnection before attempting any DIY, where in the first place is there a chance for electrical flow in the car?

!
Even though the key is removed, there will always be some live circuits in the car such as the security system, and also some wires in the harness will still carry 12V in them. The SOP insists on disabling airbags during routine as well as non routine repairs. It's just being on the safer side and having zero chances of occurrence. Not like it is very common. Personally it is up to the person to follow or not follow. But in the case of the service center, they can't take chances and later end up replacing the entire airbag system. Hence it is a part of every repair in the manual.

Again, disconnecting the battery will do in this case. But then in case one has to test the blower for some issues, we will need it to be powered. Hence in this case the airbags may not be a must do thing.
Old 14th May 2015, 19:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Sounds like a bright anti theft device Jeroen. Can you help me with the source for those, from where you got them installed?
Sorry, I bought them in my home country, the Netherlands and I installed them myself as I do with just about every job on my cars.

Here are a few pictures so you get the general idea. No idea if these are available in India:

Quick battery connector for easy connecting/disconnecting

http://www.marktplaza.nl/caravans/ac...-18518233.html

This one I like better, you can unscrew the big green knob and that isolates the battery from the rest of your car electrics. Nobody can start your car! There is a diode placed across, so your clock and for instance radio memory are still powered, but any big power drain on the battery is not possible. So effectively a very simple, but effective immobiliser.

http://v2.be-nl.sparex.com/ItemDetai...rerPartNumbers

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 20:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the SOP and precautions stated by the manufacturer. IT clearly warns that the airbags should be disabled to prevent any accidental impact. And the procedure for the same is given. Not as simple as removing a fuse or the battery terminal:

precau.pdf

prec2.pdf.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks