Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 12:46   #1
BANNED

DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift

As any car that clocks miles and is used regularly, be it singly or leaded with passengers, it is the Air Conditioning (HVAC) system that maintains the interiors clean provided the interiors are cleaned regularly and also A/C being used regularly (read windows rolled up) giving the occupants as much as possible clean air to breathe.

The load generally falls on the cabin air filter that is placed in between to not let the dirt/debris get through via the A/C ducts. Now the secondary unit that takes the load is the blower itself. If that itself is dusty and debris laden, it will simply push all that through to the filter then into the cabin.

With 44K on the odometer and IIRC I had opened the blower at 4K kms when the car was new to check, it has been approximately 40K kms since I have opened the blower unit to clean. I drive through heavily dusty areas, certain times the visibility is low due to the dust that is in air thanks to "no-roads" that I travel on. This makes the cabin air filter dirty very quickly hence needing the cleaning at regular intervals.

I was noticing that the sound of the blower was slightly on the higher side when at position 1 and 2, hence made me think if the blower was dirty requiring cleaning making the need for this DIY.

This time I thought why not put up a thread so it could help fellow BHPians too for cleaning the blower as well rather than spending bucks and donating it to the ASC for the same job.

PS: Sincere Thanks to Audioholic for the wonderful thread on the same topic but for a different car (Maruti WagonR).

The next post shall bear all the details of the DIY.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th May 2015 at 13:44.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 12:59   #2
BANNED

re: DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift

Tools Required:

1 x Rachet handle
1 x Extension rod
1 x 8 mm flank socket
1 x Cloth for wiping / cleaning
1 x Pressurized air blower

>>> I had the tool kit hence, giving the details of it but for owners who do not possess such tool kits can use a star screw driver (preferably short length due to lack of working space in there).

DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-00.-tools-required.jpg

DIY Procedure:
  • Place a mat on the floor outside the passenger door to access the blower unit of the A/C;

• Push the clip and remove the power socket;

• Remove the wiring harness from the tab to free the blower off the wiring harness;

• Using the star screw driver / 8 mm flan socket, remove the three screws holding the blower;

• Take the blower out and clean it thoroughly and re-fit the same way as above in the reverse order.

Points to remember:
  1. This DIY needs to be done with proper ventilation and preferably after wearing a nose mask / scarf to prevent dust from entering your nose.

2. Working area being too tight, it may require some energy/struggle to get into the position and sometimes may need you to lie down in the foot well for better access to the blower unit.

Now I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th May 2015 at 13:32. Reason: Adding Image
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 13:15   #3
BANNED

re: DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift

Contd... Pictures

Current odometer reading:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-1.-kms.jpg

A/C Blower unit:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-2.-blower-cleaned.jpg

Power source for the blower:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-3.-power-source.jpg

Procedure to remove the power cable:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-instruction.jpg

Wiring harness router clip:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-4.-clip-sits-into-slot.jpg

This is the wiring harness holder:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-5.-slot-wiring-holder.jpg

Wiring harness detached:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-6.-wiring-detached.jpg

Screws to be removed for accessing the blower (Marked 1, 2 & 3): In yellow!
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-7.-screws-removed.jpg

Blower removed from its casing:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-8.-blower-removed-casing.jpg

Blower unit detached for cleaning:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-9.-blower-unit-detached.jpg

On opening the blower, was surprised to see it clean and debris free. It required one blow of pressurized air to get rid of the fine dust stuck onto the fins of the blower.

While at it, I opened the cabin air filter and air filter for cleaning:

Cabin Air filter:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-cabin-air-filter.jpg

Air filter:
DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-air-filter.jpg

After this DIY, the blower sound has come down a bit and is more cleaner to breathe.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th May 2015 at 13:32. Reason: Adding matter
a4anurag is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 14:31   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 17:59   #5

Hi I know where the cabin filter you have shown is located but where is the air filter you have shown in swift
Old 9th May 2015, 18:18   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinshetty View Post
Hi I know where the cabin filter you have shown is located but where is the air filter you have shown in swift
Cabin air filter - Located behind the glove box.

Air filter - Located in the engine bay.
Old 9th May 2015, 19:57   #7

I think the airbag equipped version models would need some extra caution, to deactivate the airbag sensors, prior to the DIY. Experts please confirm.
Old 9th May 2015, 20:16   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPSAM View Post
I think the airbag equipped version models would need some extra caution, to deactivate the airbag sensors, prior to the DIY. Experts please confirm.
There is no connection of Airbag sensor and A/C blower cleaning.

Either of them are independent and no need to deactivate them.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 16:31   #9
BHPian

With the authorized service centres charging upwards of 2500 INR for servicing the aircon, DIY makes sense. In my case, the DIY cleaning of the filter is every month as rats tend to get into the car every now and then.

The 2008 model swift requires the glovebox to be detached and removed completely to be able to access the AC filter. Is the case with the later models as well?
Old 11th May 2015, 20:40   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
With the authorized service centres charging upwards of 2500 INR for servicing the aircon, DIY makes sense. In my case, the DIY cleaning of the filter is every month as rats tend to get into the car every now and then.

The 2008 model swift requires the glovebox to be detached and removed completely to be able to access the AC filter. Is the case with the later models as well?
I change the cabin air filter filter every 10K kms (which happens in 3 months) and clean it every week, will be cleaning the blower too but every month.

For accessing the cabin air filter, the glove need not be removed.

DIY: Cleaning the air-con blower of the Maruti Swift-20150219_172540.jpg

The above image is the view from the gap between the glove box lid and dashboard. The filter housing + blower unit sits right behind that is accessible by ones hand.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I change the cabin air filter filter every 10K kms (which happens in 3 months) and clean it every week, will be cleaning the blower too but every month.
d.
Thanks. The direction of the filter is marked in front, right? It shows Air Flow with a down arrow but also shows the UP with a upwards arrow.
Is it right? Shouldn't the air flow arrow also be an up arrow?
Old 14th May 2015, 13:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPSAM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There is no connection of Airbag sensor and A/C blower cleaning.

Either of them are independent and no need to deactivate them.
I guess this post would be informative. The Maruti Suzuki swift does have the Air bag disabling instruction for HVAC removal SOP. Thanks to audioholic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3664975

Any ideas why this is suggested? Is the impact sensor for front A/b located near to the blower?
Old 14th May 2015, 14:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
I guess this post would be informative. The Maruti Suzuki swift does have the Air bag disabling instruction for HVAC removal SOP. Thanks to audioholic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3664975

Any ideas why this is suggested? Is the impact sensor for front A/b located near to the blower?
When working on any electrical stuff on an airbag equipped vehicle, it is better the airbag system is disabled to be on the safer side. The airbag circuitry is a very sensitive one and requires a small electrical pulse to trigger the airbags. Don't ask me how since I don't know, but you wouldn't want to cause fluctuation in the electrical and get greeted by two airbags and smoke. It is irreversible. Hence it's always on the safer side to disable the airbags. A lossless precaution, which if not taken "may" lead to heavy losses.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 16:19   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When working on any electrical stuff on an airbag equipped vehicle, it is better the airbag system is disabled to be on the safer side.
First of all thank you Audioholic for the original thread of the DIY that I was influenced by.

Now coming to the question prevailing here regarding the airbag system disconnection before attempting any DIY, where in the first place is there a chance for electrical flow in the car?

The key isn't in the keyhole, the blower motor power connection is removed so that interfering is ruled out and moreover the image posted by Audioholic is for the procedure to remove the HVAC unit and if there is a problem to the blower, the process required to check. In case this is being done, then the airbags system need to be disconnected.

Hope I have understood your doubt correctly Gopa99!
Old 14th May 2015, 16:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When working on any electrical stuff on an airbag equipped vehicle, it is better the airbag system is disabled to be on the safer side. The airbag circuitry is a very sensitive one and requires a small electrical pulse to trigger the airbags. Don't ask me how since I don't know, but you wouldn't want to cause fluctuation in the electrical and get greeted by two airbags and smoke. It is irreversible. Hence it's always on the safer side to disable the airbags. A lossless precaution, which if not taken "may" lead to heavy losses.
Actually, the airbag deploying because of fluctuation etc is less then remote. Having said that, when working on alectrical stuff, it is in general good practice to disconnect the battery as a precaution. The change of shortening something, or maybe a fan accidentially starting as you are poking around is much more likely then the airbag going off.

So my rule is, always disconnect the battery. I have all my car fitted with quick fit battery connectors. Dont even need tools to undo them and they make a pretty good antitheft / immobilisation device as well. On most cars disconnecting the battery will lead to disabling the airbags as well. Although it will require a bit of time before the various capacitory componets loose their charge. Manual should tell.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 14th May 2015 at 16:23.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks