Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 13:37   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Unhappy with my Hyundai Authorized Service Center I decided to do the 3rd Engine oil service ( 16,000 Km ) by myself. I was surprised by how easy it was and wanted to share it with fellow Verna owners so that they could do it themselves too if needed.
Excellent job.
I used to do oil changes, brake fluid flush and replacement, brake pad replacement, alternator replacement, etc. all by myself (with the help of my friend as he had all the tools and a garage) on my Acura TL while I was in US. Oil changes are a breeze. You do it once carefully and from the next time on it will be a matter of 1/2 hr.
I never used jack stands for oil change. As long as you can lay on the floor facing the sky and peep under the car near the front axle you can locate the drain bolt. On my car (being a petrol engine) oil filter used to be close to the drain bolt and I used to unscrew it using Large Adjustable Oil Filter Plier.

Now I live in an apartment with limited space to do these type of works.

Have to say, getting your hands dirty to fix your car gives immense pleasure as you exactly know what has been done on the car and you make sure it is done right. Of course you also do save a bunch of Gandhis.
thatsdileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 14:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks Sir.

My warranty was already over. My usage is very low and I shuttle between my other cars as well.

To void your warranty they need to prove that as a result of your wrong Diy a problem occurred which is highly unlikely. When you do the DIY just take some pics of the work as proof in case they create any problems.

Also they can not say that they will not work on your car because of your Diy as anyway you will be paying them for their services so I don't think they will be stupid enough to say that.

Yeah they have some problem with getting Hyundai parts , mine was the last item they had before they said they won't have stock for some time. Also I got mine only after a month.

Just ask them when will they get stock again. My advise is to plan your diy 1 or 2 months in advance so you can get all your items ready. Hyundai do not want to make their items readily available over the counter for us to purchase. This is very bad and anti competitive. They want us all to have our cars worked only in their service centers but they do not care to improve their service quality

I also noticed if you purchase from 3rd party vendors outside , they scratch out the MRP and price the items actually much higher than MRP, which is illegal but no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Thanks Sir.I'm glad to be of some help to t-bhpians.

Nothing more satisfying than doing the work ourselves.
Thank You ! Waiting 2-3 months to get the items ready is really bad. Making things anti competitive will definitely hit them back at some point of time. I hope Hyundai gets to watch this. BTW, are the prices way too steep from MRP ?
Old 9th October 2015, 15:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Excellent job.

Have to say, getting your hands dirty to fix your car gives immense pleasure as you exactly know what has been done on the car and you make sure it is done right. Of course you also do save a bunch of Gandhis.
Thanks. There is nothing like doing the job yourself.

The issue with ASC guy's is they think they own your car. I noticed them blasting my stereo to the max volume and once I go near them they turn it down. I wonder what those idiots would do in the absence of an owner and with an expensive ICE in there

And I'm planning to upgrade my ICE too plus a lot of other bad experiences drove me to do this DIY myself. This isn't just with Hyundai , it's across the board with all brands in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansundar View Post
Thank You ! Waiting 2-3 months to get the items ready is really bad. Making things anti competitive will definitely hit them back at some point of time. I hope Hyundai gets to watch this. BTW, are the prices way too steep from MRP ?
No not much , the place I went to increased the price by 100 Rs from MRP. I confronted him and said the MRP is way lower. He agreed and said it's true and that Hyundai does not let them have any margins on it. I think Hyundai are to be blamed fully for this practice.
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Someone asked me in an earlier post on what happens to the old oil. Well I gave it to my local mechanic and asked what happens. He told me someone else comes to their place to collect all the old oil, who would then filter it and use it in timber mills for their machinery.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see some proper DIY work done. As suggested always run your engine for 15 minutes or so, this will make draining the oil a lot easier.

A lot of the sump plugs rely on sealing by means of a copper ring. Before using it again you need to soften it, so it will seal properly. Here is how to do it. Hold the copper ring in an open flame, such as a cooker. When red hot, throw it in cold water. That is all. It will be very pliable and you can use as if new.

A small word of caution, you might want to check with the wife, or better yet, make sure she is not at home, when you start using the cooker to heat up car parts. Mine wont allow me anywhere near the kitchen with my car parts. So I bought a little gas burner, works just as well and can be used for all sort of other stuff too.

Enjoy.
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 15:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, so I did the 4th engine oil service yesterday @ 24,300 Km which was 8,000 kms after my previous service. I changed it sooner than 10,000 Km as I felt the engine getting slightly rougher and not cranking so smoothly during the mornings.

This time though I used Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic oil which I purchased for 4,141 Rs including shipping cost of 150 Rs from 99rpm. It came in 5 X 1 Liter cans. So per liter cost is expensive @ 828 Rs.

I'm not able to justify the high cost of synthetic oil usage as the drain interval won't be much different than mineral oil and also there is not much difference in engine smoothness between the 2 type of oils ( previous oil was Rimula R3X - mineral ) during my initial driving.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've made a video of this DIY. So anyone who wants to watch it can find the link below. It's exactly the same but now included our other members suggestions as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks