Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 15:08   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!

Awesome stuff! This and the steering upgrade really had me wowed! Though I could never imagine DIbY (Doing It by Myself). Seems too much at stake and too many things to know about. Would love to have someone else do it for me though! :-p
rohitnp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:00   #32
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys! The ECU removal part is not scary at all once you get started. Just remember to disconnect the battery if there's any electrical work involved in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Can you come to Bangalore and do it for me (or a bunch of us)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
EDIT: As Rajeevraj mentioned, maybe you should come down to Bangalore for a master class session.
Not headed there any time soon guys. Will be driving to Palakkad next year - if Bangalore is a pitstop en route, I shall definitely help.

If not, you guys can get this done from those Bosch FNGs. It is pretty simple once you have the steering wheel removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Gannu bhai, tell me the truth. Which of the below was a bigger effort:
  1. Researching, acquiring all the parts and completing the DIY
  2. taking pictures at every stage, adding animation and call-outs on the pics, and building this thread filled with sheer awesomeness so that some of us could benefit from the same
Haha compiling this thread and collating all the snaps took me a few days for sure.
Old 20th November 2015, 00:38   #33
BHPian

Hi Gannu, amazing stuff. Totally blown by this post of yours. One of those best technically described post I have read in recent times. Few things:

1. Though you indicated that it took almost an year from the time you conceived this idea to reality, how much time it took from the time you got your BCM unit till you drove with it - just wanted to measure your patience
2. Not sure I missed, the cost of this project

3. Any trial & error situation or you got right the first time - any which way, doff my hat!

Time to say DIFMP - Do It For Me Please

And, keep posting such amazing projects.
MindOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:43   #34
BHPian

This is a fantastic post. Thank you. Have been dreaming to have a cruise control in the car. So with your post, there is still hope, that I can have it on my Polo. Of course don't have the courage for the immense research and dedication you have out here though. Great Job!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd November 2015 at 12:50. Reason: Removing quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks! :)
rockyb4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 00:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Out of curiosity, why did you not go for these stalks which have the newer design?

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-5q0953513tigicruisecontrolstalkwithmfaforvwskoda2015octaviaa7.jpg
(Source: Google)
Old 24th November 2015, 16:28   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you not go for these stalks which have the newer design?

Attachment 1442829
(Source: Google)
The pricing. As much as I would have loved to get these which are now installed in the Octavia, these were almost 3x expensive compared to what I paid for the set I sourced (less than 100 Euros). Aliexpress didn't have these anyway so the other option was to import them from EU. Wasn't worth it.
Old 24th November 2015, 17:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The pricing. As much as I would have loved to get these which are now installed in the Octavia, these were almost 3x expensive compared to what I paid for the set I sourced (less than 100 Euros). Aliexpress didn't have these anyway so the other option was to import them from EU. Wasn't worth it.
I did see a few links on Aliexpress. Here is one, but I think a steering module is needed with it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volks...rchweb201560_1
Old 24th November 2015, 17:43   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did see a few links on Aliexpress. Here is one, but I think a steering module is needed with it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volks...rchweb201560_1
Won't fit on the Polo. That unit is for the Golf. The mounting holes for the stalks used on the Polo are on the top plane:

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-wp_20150918_20_17_53_pro.png

whereas those for the Golf's unit is on the front plane:

Name:  5Q0953513TIGICruiseControlStalkWithMFAForVWSKODA2015OCTAVIAA7.png
Views: 3641
Size:  166.4 KB

I am betting even the connector at the rear would be different.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2015 at 19:36. Reason: face > plane
Old 24th November 2015, 19:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am betting even the connector at the rear would be different.

Spot on! But the newer stalks look much nicer and even the action is very tactile compared to Polo original stalks (I have a Vento). May be later you can source it for cheaper, I think 200$ is a fair price for these premium stalks.
Old 24th November 2015, 21:07   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May be later you can source it for cheaper, I think 200$ is a fair price for these premium stalks.
Adi, the new stalks for the Polo 6C will not fit the 6R models. Their construction is entirely different (mount holes as I had mentioned in the previous post), the clock spring is different and the connectors as well. Here are the pics:

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-_57.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-6c095965313.jpg

Found a few links on eBay Germany and UK (E.g.) retailing these stalks for as cheap as 100 Euros but no point anyway since they wouldn't fit on our cars.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2015 at 21:08.
Old 15th February 2016, 14:05   #41
BHPian

Hi Gannu,

This is a great DIY. Hats off to you. I have not gone to this level yet.

I am very keen to do this one my 2013 GT TSI. But have some questions.

1. Has anyone here done this on the 2013 GT TSI ?
2. I have the 087 series BCM. So would it be compatible. Anyway to check it without having to remove the BCM and looking at the PINS ? Can i see if it accepts the Coding ?
3. Will the cruise control work with the original cluster? Does it have the CC light ?

Thanks in advance.
sivasain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 23:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
2. I have the 087 series BCM. So would it be compatible. Anyway to check it without having to remove the BCM and looking at the PINS ? Can i see if it accepts the Coding ?
All the 087 series BCMs except the F variant has the cruise control terminals. You can use VCDS to check what variant you have. Do a Google search - you can find the pics of most BCMs online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
3. Will the cruise control work with the original cluster? Does it have the CC light ?
Cruise control works but the cluster doesn't have a notification LED. The newer clusters with the white backlit MFD has the notification LED.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 12:05   #43
BHPian

Hi Gannu,
I have read your DIY thread multiple times to get courage to go ahead with CCS installation for my Vento Comfortline TSI 2015 (pre facelift), but decided not to do DIY but instead source the necessary parts and then probably head to BOSCH service centre or VAGTUNE for installation. I have couple of queries in sourcing the parts

1. In Aliexpress, I can find the part 6RD 953 503J . Since I have trip indicators on my right stalk, I am hoping its a straight swap.

2. Would I be needing different airbag slip ring and if needed can I use the same one existing stock one
3. Would I be needing any additional wiring ? One of the comments in Aliexpress said that it doesn't come with EPS wiring which has got me worried
Old 10th March 2016, 20:26   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
I have couple of queries in sourcing the parts

1. In Aliexpress, I can find the part 6RD 953 503J . Since I have trip indicators on my right stalk, I am hoping its a straight swap.
It should be but you may face an issue w.r.t. the stock slip ring unit.

Quote:
2. Would I be needing different airbag slip ring and if needed can I use the same one existing stock one
I suppose this one does not have a steering angle sensor and since your model is a TSI (which has ESP), you will need a slip ring with a steering angle sensor.

Best to ask the dealer not to ship the slip ring - he can deduct the amount from the net price and you can use your stock slip ring. At best, you may have to chop off some plastic bits from the stalks unit like I did to accommodate the stock slip ring on the European stalks but that isn't a deal breaker.

Quote:
3. Would I be needing any additional wiring ? One of the comments in Aliexpress said that it doesn't come with EPS wiring which has got me worried
Can't say about the wiring part unless we know what the Aliexpress dealer is bundling. There's a harness and that's all I can see. Insist on some clear pics of the harness.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 10:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
It should be but you may face an issue w.r.t. the stock slip ring unit.

I suppose this one does not have a steering angle sensor and since your model is a TSI (which has ESP), you will need a slip ring with a steering angle sensor.

Best to ask the dealer not to ship the slip ring - he can deduct the amount from the net price and you can use your stock slip ring. At best, you may have to chop off some plastic bits from the stalks unit like I did to accommodate the stock slip ring on the European stalks but that isn't a deal breaker.
Thanks for the heads up on the slip ring. I will contact the seller not to ship the slip ring and will plan to use the stock one.

Quote:
Can't say about the wiring part unless we know what the Aliexpress dealer is bundling. There's a harness and that's all I can see. Insist on some clear pics of the harness.
I have dropped seller a note on this, but in mean while I stumbled across a pdf from one of the European forum (probably the same person from whom you purchased the stalk) on what needs to be modified for wiring if purchased from Aliexpress. What are your thoughts on that ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf POLO 6R. Wiring cruise control system. CCS.pdf (1.34 MB, 1823 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks