Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 13:41   #1
BHPian

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector

When my ECU failed a few months back and the car had to be towed to KHT, the initial diagnosis was that the fuse box under the steering had failed. When I explained patiently that this component was just a stack of metal sheets, cut to form circuits with zero electronics and zero moving parts, the next culprit was the cruise control wiring I had done.

Though I was unconvinced, out of sheer frustration, I agreed for the wiring to be cut. That the issue was not resolved and the ECU was eventually replaced to rectify the problem is a matter for a separate discussion. The cut wires were wound back together and insulated and I was unhappy with this setup, though the CC worked fine. I wanted to tidy it up.

Decided to install 4 way waterproof connectors. Ordered from here

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_114843681_hdr.jpg

The installation is straight forward.

Step 1 - Cut all wires to equal length and remove about 5 mm of insulation
Step 2 - Slide the small yellow seal onto the wires and crimp male pins to one set and the female pins to the other. The inner flaps on the pin crimp the wires, while the outer flap crimps the yellow sleeve to the wire.

After these steps, you will be left with this -
DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_122131514_hdr.jpg

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_123934751_hdr.jpg

Now slide the pins into the respective connectors. Make sure you follow the right sequence in both plugs. If you manage to get it wrong, taking the pin out can prove to be harder than one would imagine. Straighten the wires and apply insulation tape a few inches apart to keep the wires together.

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_122711580_hdr.jpg

Now slide a piece of corrugated plastic tube (with a slit cut through its length) over the wires to protect them from the harsh engine bay environment

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_123118113_hdr.jpg

Now connect the plugs together, tie up the piping to the firewall and you are done

DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector-img_20151204_124655795_hdr.jpg
PatchyBoy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 12:59   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing a 4-way waterproof wire connector

I'm sorry, but I'm completely lost. Could you please provide the appropriate context and elaborate on:

1. What is the cruise control wiring you had done? Was this not OEM?
2. What parts of the wires/connectors make the whole thing waterproof?
3. How does this help, given all the other wires in the last picture are presumably still not waterproof?
4. Which car is this?
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

What part or function does this wire harness serve? Can a cruise control be retrofitted?
Old 6th December 2015, 19:34   #4
BHPian

These connectors were very hard to come by. Found mostly in Fiat group cars, these are really rugged and water proof. Made by Tyco/Amp and it is called "SuperSeal" series under their Automotive range.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-282080-1.html
http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/ENG_CS...RIES_09111.pdf

Had bought from Tyco for making an Obd interface for my Palio.
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 19:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Decided to install 4 way waterproof connectors. Ordered from here
Hi PatchyBoy,

Thanks for sharing this link. I am looking for 2 Pin Sealed Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector and same is available at Aliexpress. Which shipping method did you choose?

Regards.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm completely lost. Could you please provide the appropriate context and elaborate on:

1. What is the cruise control wiring you had done? Was this not OEM?

2. What parts of the wires/connectors make the whole thing waterproof?

3. How does this help, given all the other wires in the last picture are presumably still not waterproof?

4. Which car is this?
1. No. The FIAT Linea T-Jet 2010 model did not have OE cruise control. I had installed it myself.

2. All those yellow silicon seals make it waterproof.

3. All other wires that are visible in the last pic are OE and waterproof as well. No idea how you concluded otherwise.

4. FIAT Linea T-Jet - Oct 2010,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
What part or function does this wire harness serve? Can a cruise control be retrofitted?
These wires carry the Cruise Control command signals from the stalk to the ECU. It was possible to retrofit Cruise Control both in the early model Linea T-Jet and the Linea 1.4 FIRE. No idea about other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Which shipping method did you choose?
I chose the standard free shipping. Ordered on Nov 10, shipped on Nov 12 and delivered on Nov 26.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2015 at 13:06. Reason: No reply using bold within quoted posts please
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 14:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
1. No. The FIAT Linea T-Jet 2010 model did not have OE cruise control. I had installed it myself.
This will make a good DIY thread in itself! I searched around and wasn't able to find any threads by you on this topic.

Is the primary advantage of this over flexi-glue covered by heat-shrink tubes that this can be dismantled? I didn't know the OEM connections were water proof, because there have been instances of misfiring/electrical issues when (despite being told not to) the car wash people "wash" the engine.
Old 7th December 2015, 16:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
This will make a good DIY thread in itself! I searched around and wasn't able to find any threads by you on this topic.
No. I have not posted a thread about the CC install on TBHP. The install was done in 2013 and is a tad old now

Quote:
Is the primary advantage of this over flexi-glue covered by heat-shrink tubes that this can be dismantled? I didn't know the OEM connections were water proof, because there have been instances of misfiring/electrical issues when (despite being told not to) the car wash people "wash" the engine.
Yes. The advantage is that this is detachable.

These connectors and other OE connectors used in the engine bay are waterproof to the extent that they will prevent water seepage into the contacts and resultant shorts for water splashed up when driving in the rains. They were never designed to prevent water seepage if the engine bay is pressure washed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks