Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 09:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Speedwav is what I have and is good enough in terms of quality.
Even I have a Speedwav brand universal arm rest installed in my Punto recently but facing an unique issue. The vertical movement of the arm rest is rather too smooth. I tried to open the lower panel for any screw adjustment but could not, it was scratching the plastic surface. Any idea if you have faced this issue?? Any solutions??
Old 17th December 2015, 13:20   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Even I have a Speedwav brand universal arm rest installed in my Punto recently but facing an unique issue. The vertical movement of the arm rest is rather too smooth. I tried to open the lower panel for any screw adjustment but could not, it was scratching the plastic surface. Any idea if you have faced this issue?? Any solutions??
I had faced issues relating to crackling noise whenever I lifted the Armrest. So I opened the marked plastic covers on either side with a thin blade and loosened the fasteners, few drops of WD40 into the pivots and fixed everything back and it was normal again.

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20140524_103645.jpg

Not sure if the problem you are mentioning is related to this as I am trying to understand what you mean when you say Vertical movemet.

Also - Since you have a Punto, did you ever contemplate on installing the Linea's Armrest? It fits precisely and has all the set-up too. One of my friends has got this for his Punto 90HP from the ASC and IIRC, he paid somewhere between 7500-8000 for the Armrest from the Linea.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure if the problem you are mentioning is related to this as I am trying to understand what you mean when you say Vertical movemet.

Also - Since you have a Punto, did you ever contemplate on installing the Linea's Armrest? It fits precisely and has all the set-up too. One of my friends has got this for his Punto 90HP from the ASC and IIRC, he paid somewhere between 7500-8000 for the Armrest from the Linea.
By vertical movement I meant is when you lift the arm rest to keep it in vertical direction. For eg to access the seat belt clip or hand brake. The moment I lift the arm rest it simply swings upwards far more smoothly than reqd.

Yes, I tried opening the plastic portion you have highlighted, it did not come off easily. Didn't wanted to damage the portion with too much force. Let me try this week end. Does it have a fastener like nut/bolt or screw type inside??

I had thought of Linea's arm rest. The high cost firstly put me off. Secondly even if I had fit it in Punto it would have to be done the way the present one is done. Since I was told Linea's arm rest comes factory moulded hand brake cover which will anyways not fit in the Punto.
Old 17th December 2015, 13:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does it have a fastener like nut/bolt or screw type inside??
Yes it does. If I recall it right, its a typical Bolt-nut arrangement. This was in the WagonR's armest which was not Speedwav but I am sure the set-up will be same in the Speedwav as well.

Quote:
Since I was told Linea's arm rest comes factory moulded hand brake cover which will anyways not fit in the Punto.
Never paid attention to this but it fitted very well on the Punto.

Secondly, we had done a DIY Accessory socket for the Linea last year and that is when I opened up the center console and armrest in the Linea. I realised how solidly the armrest was fitting on the center console with 4 Bolts on a metal clamp.

I will try to post pics of the Punto Armrest just so if that helps you.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

@a4anurag: Thats a neat DIY install and looks OE. Congrats ! Wish I could do something similar for my Esteem. Has anyone tried this on an Esteem in our forum?
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:09   #21
BHPian

Really great work, I am also looking for an armrest for my Chevrolet Sail, the problem that I am facing is that the console in-between the seats is too wide, thus the universal/ standard arm rest doesn't fit. I was planning to make the base of 8mm commercial ply and then fix the armrest over it. Will this be a good idea or should I go with the MS Sheet?
pg83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 10:37   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
was planning to make the base of 8mm commercial ply and then fix the armrest over it. Will this be a good idea or should I go with the MS Sheet?
I'll suggest an MS Plate and paint it to sit your interiors so it doesn't rust and stand out ugly.

Not sure of the commercial ply.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Great thread.

I too got one fixed in my Brio couple of months back at a local car accessories shop in Varthur (Bangalore). Man, I love it during our long highway drives. But in city, I keep it vertical due to frequent use of handbrake.

The fit and finish of this was good but it keeps making a crackling noise . I am planning to put a fibre cloth sort of a material in between the frame and the casing. Hopefully, this should do away with the noise.
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 12:09   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
The fit and finish of this was good but it keeps making a crackling noise. I am planning to put a fibre cloth sort of a material in between the frame and the casing. Hopefully, this should do away with the noise.
Thank you!

Get the carpet material pasted on the frame and screw it in. Should keep vibrations at bay!
Old 19th December 2015, 14:16   #25
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After hunting around for a couple of hours on various websites, I finally found a newer and better version of the Universal Armrest for my SX4. It cost me Rs. 1300.00 + Rs. 300 for fitting. It was a very easy fit as the lower bracket which sits on the console is expandable. Took about 20 minutes to fix and looks good. Feels comfortable. However, have not driven any great distance so can't comment but there was no rattling or anything like that on the short drive home.
This comes with a bottle holder which is great as the original bottle holder is blocked off after fitting and also an ashtray which can be removed for cleaning.
The top can slide forward/backward and the interior is covered with black felt type lining. It does not appear to hinder the gear changes but might need to be pushed back for the handbrake.
I am happy with the purchase overall.
Let the pics tell the story.

Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_112759.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_112822.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_121421-2.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_125014.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_125022.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_125029.jpg  

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20151219_125053.jpg  

suzuki san is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 14:55   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
The top can slide forward/backward and the interior is covered with black felt type lining. It does not appear to hinder the gear changes but might need to be pushed back for the handbrake.
That is a nice armrest you got hold off.

I was looking at a similar one but now it out materialised as the width in between the seats was too less so went with a slimmer one.

Happy relaxed driving.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 17:55   #27
BHPian

Since I too was in the same boat, and had ended up installing the above arm rest in my Swift (mine broke within 3 months of usage, due to too much load I once put on it), I thought I'd post an update here on Swift armrests.

MGA has now come up with armrests for the Swift and the Dzire. Had seen them yesterday on my visit to the nearest MASS. They are a bit like the ones found on the Vento, and felt built solidly.
The sticker price was around INR 2800. Looked like a competent alternative that would offer a factory fit & finish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks