Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 23:48   #1
BANNED

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!

When it comes to 4 wheels, every person tries to maximize the comfort. Finding ways of getting comfortable on a drive so that the concentration and driving experience is better. The premium segment cars just cocoon the passenger and give the ultimate comfort be it in any seat in the car. I too wanted to add as much as features to my car that make every day driving comfortable and easy on myself.

With me spending so much time behind the wheel every day, I did feel the need for an Armrest where my left hand used to be resting on my thighs or holding the gear lever like a taxi driver.

I started searching for the armrest choices and I did want to go the D.I.Y route rather than taking my car to an accessory installer.

Recap to 28.08.2014:

The search for Armrests started and I found EBay was the place where the most choices were floating around so went and got one Universal Armrest for Swift in black colour. Got the package delivered home within 3 days from shipping.

Costs incurred:
  • Armrest: ₹900
  • Shipping: Free!
  • Total: ₹900

Package Contents:
  1. Armrest;
  2. Base bracket;
  3. Support stands;
  4. Screw set.

Got down to assembling the armrest after unboxing it:

Step – 1: Assemble the Armrest on trial basis and place it on the plastic cladding over the handbrake console to get an idea of the height the armrest to be positioned at. This will also give the exact point required for drilling the holes on the handbrake console.

Step – 2: Open the handbrake console by removing the plastic clips at the rear end (behind the handbrake cowl at the base) and then free the clips at the front by lifting the console freeing it completely. Keep the car in 1st gear so that the console comes out free for proceeding further.

Step – 3: Drill 4 holes in total (2 on each side) for fixing the base plates or height adjusting flaps on which the base bracket will be fixed.

Step – 4 (Optional): Cover the base mount and the height adjustable flaps with the mat that is used as carpet in our cars for a neat and clean look. Thanks to Parag for the idea!

Step – 5: Using good quality nuts and bolts, fix the armrest to the handbrake console. Do NOT over-tighten it as it may crack the plastic.

Step – 6: Fix the handbrake console and check for the height and change if necessary after comfortably seated.

Pictures of the Installation:

Universal Armrest
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-1.-universal-armrest.jpg

Handbrake console clips
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-2.-handbrake-cowl-holder-clips.jpg

Handbrake console removed
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-3.-handbrake-console-removed.jpg

Holes drilled as required in the console
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-4.-handbrake-cowl-hole-drilled.jpg

Armrest assembled
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-5.-universal-armrest-assembled.jpg

Armrest Installed
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-8.-armrest-installed.jpg

Post installation - Drivers height set and found comfortable
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-6.-drivers-comfort.jpg

Passenger comfort
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-7.-passengers-comfort.jpg

View from behind*
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-9.-view-behind.jpg

Almost nil gap with handbrake in its service position
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-10.-clearance-handbrake-action.jpg

*No! I am not done here was not a happy guy after this installation and was more felling bad with the armrest and my Swift. Reason, look at the picture with the "*". There is absolutely no gap left for the seats to travel forward and back with shaking and disturbing the console so much that it could snap off the mounts.

There was no other alternative in the market other than these Universal ones and I for one was just NOT going to be using the armrest in such state.

The next posts will contain the issues/hindrances with this particular installation.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th December 2015 at 20:04.
a4anurag is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:02   #2
BANNED

re: DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!

Coming to the hindrances or Issues faced during and after the installation.

Issue 1: Not checking the width between the front seats as mentioned in the description on Ebay – It states that there must be a minimum gap of 14 cms between the seats for efficient and complete installation so to prevent the armrest from rubbing against the seats restricting the movement. I totally missed checking it and blindly bought it. At the step 6, I stumbled when I moved the seat back to normal position to sit and check how it feels during a small drive. The actual gap between the seats in my Swift is around 10.2 – 10.7 cms (~11 cms).

Issue 2: Height of the armrest when installed didn’t allow the handbrake to reach its top-most position so I had to set it a bit higher than I actually wanted.

Issue 3: Once the armrest was fixed, in the interest of saving the armrest and the plastic panels below the passenger was stuck at the farthest position which was creating issues when friends/family climb-in. I was getting tensed every time someone moved the seats to their comfortable position ignoring the armrest.

Irritated with the above 3 issues, I uninstalled the armrest and sold it off to a friend who later fixed it in his car as he is the only one using it all of the time where the Issue 1 was not an hindrance to him.

I got my money back but was dejected that the installation could not go ahead and I dreamt of having one in my car thanks to long journey’s I do every day where my left hand has no place to rest.

From then on I frantically started searching for different models that were below 14 cms in width.

-->Fast Forward to 06.02.2015

Come mid-October and I stumble upon a seller on AliExpress who sells the Swift Armrest for the models ranging from 2005 to 2015. Mine being 2013, I contacted asking whether this will fit my car or not?! I received a response 4 days later (I had lost hope of receiving a reply) saying that it will fit. 5 minutes later I got a mail asking for a picture of the handbrake console area so that they can verify before shipping it to me.

A day after sending him the picture, I got the response that I was not wanting to read at all. The seller told that the handbrake console is different from the Swift that is sold here and from what I drive here in India. I was like . Replied thanks and left it there.

The reason he states that this one will not fit was because the Indian version doesn’t get a cup holder that is located behind the handbrake lever which is available in the car sold elsewhere in the world.

Difference between Indian & UK Swift consoles
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-uk-vs-indian.jpg

Damn you Maruti engineers! Why this step-motherly treatment to us when you sell and live life of a King because of we Indians?! What kind of money saving tactic is this?!

All the armrest's that are sold are directly bolted or seated into this very cup holder behind so installation is just minutes and D.I.Y. Now for me the cup holder itself was missing so I had to think of some alternative where I can compensate for the missing cup holder.

With all hopes of getting the armrest installed in my car, I let go the thought and continued driving as it is.

BUT, God had other plans.....
a4anurag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:06   #3
BANNED

--> PRESENT DAY (Fast Forward to – 10.10.2015)

While going through Team-BHP thread on armrest installation, I wondered why not install the armrest with a customized clamp that is tailor made for my car and the handbrake console?

None of the ones available fit and what is available will not fit because of the console issue so contacted the same seller for knowing if he had stocks of the armrest that I was looking for initially?

After I got a positive reply, I contacted my colleague and my helping hand in this D.I.Y for knowing the possibilities of making a custom-clamp to act as a base mounting point for this armrest. He happily replied saying get the armrest, we’ll fit that thing in a day or two. Excited and boosted with that response, I went and added the armrest to the cart. I was given two options:

Option 1 – The Top cover/lid in black fabric?

OR

Option 2 – The top cover/lid in black leather?

I chose Option 2 as it looked premium in my car as well as the pictures posted on the internet. The landing price was falling at $68 that boils down to ₹4565. Too steep a price in my eyes as the universal armrest is available at ₹900. Nevertheless, I contacted the seller again asking for discounts or rate reduction chances before I buy? He replied asking me to wait till 11.11.2015 as there will be a MEGA SALE with huge discounts and also chances to coupons for discounts through games.

He also asked me to update my App to receive the notifications for the sale where his store will have the said discounts listed on all products. I did and receive the update for this “11.11” Sale! Started playing the game “Collect Coins for the Cat” where I could exchange the collected coins for discount coupons so that I could buy the Armrest.

On the 11.11 when I opened the App, I found the selling price to be $46, a direct $20 decrease only for that one day and whatever coupon I use will also get deducted from my cart. With 10 days of playing and coin accumulating, collected 3000 coins (IIRC) and got a $20 coupon in exchange which I used to buy the armrest.

Final pricing as in my cart was $26 which is ₹1740 and FREE shipping via HK Post. Ordered on the morning of 11.11.15, I received the package on 25.11.15.

Source of Purchase: Swift Armrest (2005 - 2015)

Making of the custom bracket:

With the helping hands of my friend, a simple U shaped clamp was made using SS 316 material post measuring the width and height required to just place it over the handbrake console. It was bent at right angles for it to sit flush over the console. Also a stud with nuts was bought for ₹10 where it will be placed in place of the plastic clips that originally held the handbrake console.

Initially, I was going to use those clips but later decided to get the stud as it will be having pressure over it when the armrest is mounted and force is applied.

Did the unboxing and here are the contents of the package:

Contents of the package
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-1.-contents-package.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th December 2015 at 20:10.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:13   #4
BANNED

Coming to the installation and fitment of the armrest

Step – 1: Open the handbrake console by removing the plastic clips at the rear end (behind the handbrake) and then free the clips at the front by lifting the console freeing it completely. Keep the car in 1st gear so that the console comes out free.

Step – 2: Place the custom made bracket on the handbrake console base and place the cup mount over it and make the marking so that drilling holes will be easier and match all of them.

Step – 3: After drilling the holes, assemble the clamp and over it place the cup mount and tighten it with good quality nuts and bolts.

Step – 4 (Optional): Cover the base clamp using carpet material for a neater look (I am yet to do this). The clamp is still open!

Step – 5: A fix the armrest over the cup mount and tighten the 4 screws given by the seller.

Step – 6: Place the rubber screw caps over the screw holes and adjust the height of the armrest as required for a comfortable drive.

Installation is now complete.
__________________________________________________ ___

Swift Specific Armrest vs Universal Armrest

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-8tile.jpg

Swift Specific Armrest:

+ Looks and feels OEM
+ Comfortable for both driver and passenger
+ Love that black + leather combo
+ Feels solid and durable and will last the life
+ Ease of installation
+ Height adjustability

- Costs compared to Universal armrest
- Storage space is on the lower side (Not a deal breaker at all)

Universal Armrest:

+ Cheaper and VFM
+ Available with colour options
+ Larger storage place
+ Sliding feature of the top portion

- Only 1 size available
- Bulky looking and imparts an after-market accessory look.

Next post shall be having pictures of the Armrest installed in my Swift!

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th December 2015 at 20:14.
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:32   #5
BANNED

Contents of the package
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-1.-contents-package.jpg

Screws and rubber cap (supplied along with the package)
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-2.-screws-rubber-cap.jpg

Rubber caps added after tightening the screws (Give a neat look)
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-3.-screws-added-rubber-cap-placed-over-.jpg

Armrest in its horizontal and Vertical position
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-4.-armrest-horizontal-vertical.jpg

Button to lower the armrest and flap above to open the cover
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-4a.-button-lower-armrest.jpg

Felt-lining inside the armrest
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-4b.-feltlining-inside.jpg

Armrest assembling
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-5.-armrest-assembly.jpg

Cup holder mounted on the clamp (Mild Steel)
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-6.-cup-mounted-clamp.jpg

Fixed and bolted to handbrake console
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-7.-cup-mounted-handbrake-console.jpg

Armrest fixed on the cup holder mount
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-8.-armrest-fixed-cup-mount.jpg

Rubber covers added post installation
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-9.-rubber-covers-screw-holes.jpg

Post installation view from rear with passenger seat pushed forward
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-10.-post-installation-rear-view.jpg

Gap between the seats (Not as tight as Universal one)
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-11.-gap-between-seats.jpg

Front View
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-12.-front-view.jpg

Side View
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-13.-side-view.jpg

Top View
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-16.-top-view.jpg

Gap between the armrest and handbrake when at service position
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-15.-gap-between-armrest-handbrake-post-installation.jpg

Different position of the armrest
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-14.-different-position.jpg

Armrest folded off when not in use
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-17.-view-when-armrest-not-use.jpg

Hand resting comfortably
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-18.-hand-resting-position.jpg

Gap between the seat belt buckle and armrest
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-19.-seat-belt-buckle-gap-armrest.jpg

Handbrake disassembled for changing the clamp
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-20.-armrest-fixed-hanbrake-cowl-old-clamp.jpg

Markings for drilling holes in the SS clamp
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-21.-marking-done-drilling-hole.jpg

Mild Steel grade v/s Stainless Steel 316 clamp
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-22.-ms-vs-ss-clamp.jpg

New SS clamp fixed
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-23.-new-clamp-fixed.jpg

My helping hand in this clamp DIY
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-24.-my-helping-partner-diy.jpg

PS: Initially to get a hang of the armrest and how it feels during the drive and for daily usage, I used the clamp made of MS (Mild Steel). It was just a stepping stone till I had got the SS clamp made ready to be fit. Moreover the MS clamp looks out of place if left that way so decided to change to SS as it does rust nor does it look cheap. I am in the process of covering the clamp so shall update the thread with the pictures when I get time.

I am now very happy that I could get the installation done and succeed well without any major issues that would have abandoned the project. It was fire of need that was burning which kept the clock ticking else I wouldn't have done anything. Sincere thanks to my friend who helped me throughout.

Hope this thread be of help to prospective Swift/Dzire owners who are facing this issue and are looking at a solution. I can understand that irritation when that Universal Armrest didn't fit correctly!

Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th December 2015 at 20:59.
a4anurag is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 21:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 22:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me so much of D-BHPian Parag Sachania who is more or less the father of installing Arm Rests on multitude of cars just like that(friends and friends of friends). He installed it for my Palio and also installed it on several friend cars.

None the less, a very helpful thread for those highway drivers who may want one as this is really a boon for long hauls.

Those looking for Ertiga:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3441591

Those looking for EcoSport:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3537633

Last edited by funkykar : 15th December 2015 at 22:11.
funkykar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 22:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I think I do recall Anurag's predicament with the universal Armrest install and the width between the seats in the Swift.

At first we exchanged messages on how the Universal armrest isn't rubbing seats in my Ertiga every time I pull or push either of the seats back and forth while it was rubbing in the Swift. Then one fine day, I measured to width between the seats of Ertiga and a Dzire (assuming the Swift would also be the same) and found out that indeed there was a difference between Ertiga and the Swift/Dzire and no wonder the Universal Armrest was rubbing in the Swift.

Apart from this, there was another issue - Long before (say 2011/12) sellers on ebay had listed small and big as the sizes for these universal armrests. Small catered to most of the entry level hatchbacks while the large ones for Sedans and B Segment hatches. They stopped selling these varieties few years before and the Large became the universal one everywhere online and in the accessory shops.

So far, I have fixed armrests in the following cars below. Few were straightforward installation while few needed clamps.

For my WagonR

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-wagonr.jpg

(Notice that this was the Small size that is no more available)

For a friend's Ecosport

Detailed steps here.

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-ecosport-1.jpg

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-ecosport-2.jpg

For my Ertiga

Detailed steps here.

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-ertiga-1.jpg

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-ertiga-2.jpg

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-ertiga-3.jpg

For FunkyKar's Palio

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-palio-1.jpg

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-palio-2.jpg

Detailed steps here.

In case of the Palio, we had to do it with a lot of trial as the car was never with me when I got the clamp done and it was urgent for Funkar's upcoming drive to Bhutan (Hence you may ask why so many holes in the clamp).

For a friend's SX4

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-sx41.jpg

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-sx42.jpg

Complete steps in the album here

And here is the reason why the Universal Armrest won't fit in the Swift while it did in the Ertiga:

Notice the difference of almost 1.5" between the 2 cars.

DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-gap-swift.jpg
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-gap-ertiga.jpg

So far I have installed it on WagonR (old and new), SX4, Palio, Ertiga, Ecosport and Getz and at times more than one car of the same model. For Getz I didn't click any picture but it was unique again as we used the material used for Switch Board (in black) to design the clamp and fit the same.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th December 2015 at 23:10.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Re: DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, I think I do recall Anurag's predicament with the universal Armrest install and the width between the seats in the Swift.
Thanks Anurag and Parag for all the valuable information. I was searching online for an armrest for new model dzire but was not sure if it will be a perfect fit. Recently I found one in paytm for just Rs.534/- which has good ratings too. Would you be able to guide if I can go for it?
Since the arm rest model/photo looks same in most of the online stores, looks like they are selling a universal model but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Armrest installation in the Maruti Swift!-untitled.jpg  

Old 16th December 2015, 23:57   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
. Would you be able to guide if I can go for it?
Hello Sir,

It indeed is an Universal armrest. Since you have a Dzire that has the same interiors as the Swift with the same gap in between the seats, the Universal Armrest you referring to will be tight.

It will not be free to move the seats to and fro.

This is the reason I went for the second armrest as mentioned by me in the above posts.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 00:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Since the arm rest model/photo looks same in most of the online stores, looks like they are selling a universal model but not sure.
Rare case you will get anything smaller today as I explained earlier. So this is indeed universal and in other words, bigger for the Swift/Dzire.

You can go for the one that Anurag has installed. I notice that it is less wide but still rubs the seats very lightly(or may be just an illusion). However, a better option than the universal armest.

Expecting a smaller size today would be difficult as no seller stocks it now.

Also, instead of a DIY clamp you can contemplate on cleaner installation with mounting the Armrest on directly on the center console but you will need to make holes on the center console and have a rigid padding on the inside of the center console to finally interlock the Armrest - Center Console - Padding between bolts/nuts. There can be many ideas on fitting this one now .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 00:54   #12
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Well this must be a coincidence coming across this thread today.
Just this afternoon I wasted 2 hours at an accessory shop trying to fit an arm rest in my SX4 with no success.
Looking at the pics now it looks easy to fit but I felt that it was sitting too high and the the plastic support was sticking out from the plastic base.
There is a cup/bottle holder just behind the handbrake in the SX4 and I would not like to lose this feature.

Parag Sachania, could you please help with some more pics of how you fitted this "universal armrest" on the SX4?
Also, the accessory guy was asking for Rs.1800 for it which I thought was a bit expensive.
I am wary of buying on the net as you never know what turns up in the box.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 01:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Parag Sachania, could you please help with some more pics of how you fitted this "universal armrest" on the SX4?
Also, the accessory guy was asking for Rs.1800 for it which I thought was a bit expensive.
I am wary of buying on the net as you never know what turns up in the box.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
SS
The Width of the Armrest for SX4 will make the legs squat. You can prepare a clamp (Like in the Ecosport) and then fix the plastic legs supplied and it will fit perfectly for the SX4.

Refer that here and you will get an Idea. Else the width in SX4 is sufficient for the universal Armrest (its just the width of the base).

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th December 2015 at 01:04.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 01:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Width of the Armrest for SX4 will make the legs squat. You can prepare a clamp (Like in the Ecosport) and then fix the plastic legs supplied and it will fit perfectly for the SX4.

Refer that here and you will get an Idea. Else the width in SX4 is sufficient for the universal Armrest (its just the width of the base).
Hi Parag,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
The squatting you mentioned is exactly what was happening and what put me off. I guess I will have to try and find a fabricator to make the clamp.
Any idea what the cost of this arm rest actually is?
Will I still be able to use the cup/bottle holder after fitting the arm rest?

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 01:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Any idea what the cost of this arm rest actually is?
Sorry, forgot to answer this earlier. Price will be between 800-1200 Max based on various sellers, nothing more than this. Speedwav is what I have and is good enough in terms of quality.

http://www.amazon.in/Speedwav-Armres...6-2120b542e985

Quote:
Will I still be able to use the cup/bottle holder after fitting the arm rest?
Unfortunately you have to let go! But in SX4 you have bottle holders on each door anyway. So wont miss much with this.

In WagonR, I was just lucky and I could use the bottle holder below the Armrest as my model has no holders for the Door.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed