Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 14:42   #1
BHPian

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)

Hello fellow BHP'ians,

Necessity is the mother of invention.... well yes, shortly after my DIY on GPS mount which I made from old diary (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...old-diary.html) I encountered problem with the reflection when I put my Dashboard camera in XUV.

The generation one and two of XUV comes with these two silver linings along with the infotainment system and the rain sensor on dashboard along with cash box is like a piano finished glossy stuff which reflects so much on windscreen especially when you are driving during sunny days, thank god Mahindra guys have solved this issue in their third generation vehicle.

I was kind of used to this reflection and never cared about until now when I am shortly driving down to place of Rajputs (Pune to Jaisalmer via Udaipur & Jodhpur). I am so looking forward to use my HD camera as a Dash cam.

When I first mounted camera and took a test video of my daily route to office, I was so happy with the output quality but very disappointed with the dashboard reflection of XUV. That’s when this idea of using carbon fiber vinyl covering to my dashboard came into mind. I have little experience of using colored vinyl sheets on my scratch built RC airplanes so this job was effortless to me.

I sourced Black CF Vinyl from Bohri Ali In Pune.

Cost of Vinyl: 4’X2’ (8 Sqft) for 200 INR
Usage is less than 30% of above

Tools Used: Hobby knife, Scissor, Metal ruler & wife's hair dryer

I am attaching few pics and a Video comparison.

Hope you guys like it.

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0210.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0211.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0215.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0216.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0218.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0222.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0224.jpg
DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-0.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0229.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0237.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0244.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0248.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-1.jpg

DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2015 at 13:50. Reason: Correcting image orientation
joeblack is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 15:39   #2
BHPian

re: DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)

I have wanted to do this since ages. Although I did not think to detach the panels and then paste the vinyl. You motivate me to follow your method for much better pasting and finishing. Appreciate your help in this.
That glare on the front windscreen while driving in sunlight is really bothersome.

Last edited by Ahmed : 21st December 2015 at 15:40. Reason: Spell check and grammar
Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:09   #3
BHPian

re: DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I have wanted to do this since ages. Although I did not think to detach the panels and then paste the vinyl. You motivate me to follow your method for much better pasting and finishing. Appreciate your help in this.
That glare on the front windscreen while driving in sunlight is really bothersome.
Removing panel is easy, most of it is press fit. And the infotainment panel has four screws..... Let me know if you need any help in detaching.
joeblack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
Removing panel is easy, most of it is press fit. And the infotainment panel has four screws..... Let me know if you need any help in detaching.
Quiet interesting DIY. Thanks for sharing. I did the same in my car after being fed up with the reflection. I did not know that removing the panels was this easy. Had to struggle a lot with the constraints of panels being in place.

I did cover the side strips with carbon fiber vinyl and the center portion with matt finish. Did it only for the top portion though. Did not bother with the lower end. But it does looks neat and stylish the way you have done the whole strip. I think I should do it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Carbon fiber vinyl for the dashboard (under 200 INR)-img_0214.jpg  

PADAS is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Quiet interesting DIY. Thanks for sharing. I did the same in my car after being fed up with the reflection. I did not know that removing the panels was this easy. Had to struggle a lot with the constraints of panels being in place.

I did cover the side strips with carbon fiber vinyl and the center portion with matt finish. Did it only for the top portion though. Did not bother with the lower end. But it does looks neat and stylish the way you have done the whole strip. I think I should do it as well.
Great work bro.... i think mat finish choice is better to avoid reflection, the cf finish still has some shiny material which makes it look like carbon fiber, never the less i m happy with my output.

i guess if you continue the CF to the bottom silver lining then it might look complete, just a suggestion though.
joeblack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Never knew removing the panels was so easy. I had tried once to remove panels to clean AC filter and backed out after finding it tough.

As you mentioned the reflection is annoying if you are planning of taking any pictures through the windshield.
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:02   #7
BHPian

Dear joeblack,

Impressive.

I had taken XUV on rent from Zoomcars. I had found the reflections in the front screen disturbing.

On the contrary, my family found it beautiful!

Now, I am worried that - as and when I own a XUV - there is going to be a conflict! UNLESS, Mahindra only take care of it!!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Never knew removing the panels was so easy. I had tried once to remove panels to clean AC filter and backed out after finding it tough.

As you mentioned the reflection is annoying if you are planning of taking any pictures through the windshield.
The only reason for me to cover the dash with CF finish is to attach Dash cam for upcoming trip to Rajasthan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear joeblack,

Impressive.

I had taken XUV on rent from Zoomcars. I had found the reflections in the front screen disturbing.

On the contrary, my family found it beautiful!

Now, I am worried that - as and when I own a XUV - there is going to be a conflict! UNLESS, Mahindra only take care of it!!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan, thanks for your kind words, & the new generation XUV comes with mat finish material, i guess Mahindra realized their mistake and rectified in the current gen vehicle.
joeblack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 05:13   #9
BHPian

Has anyone tried a clear coat on top of the carbon fiber like sticker? I feel it would make it look more authentic. But leaving the practical side to the experts.
nuew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Instead of doing so many things, you could have simply bought yourself a circular polarizer filter for your dashcam and set it to an angle that avoids the reflections into the video/lens. If the reflections bothered you as a driver, ditto - get a good pair of polarized glasses and job done!

I'm saying this as meddling with the dashboard is a sure-shot way of inviting unwanted rattles down the road.
vsathyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
...get a good pair of polarized glasses and job done!
Absolutely! But for some its also the aesthetics, some like carbon fibre vinyl better than the piano or other finishes.
Old 25th December 2015, 07:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Instead of doing so many things, you could have simply bought yourself a circular polarizer filter for your dashcam and set it to an angle that avoids the reflections into the video/lens.
You will then need to constantly keep adjusting the CPL filter's angle, depending on which direction the light is coming from.
Old 25th December 2015, 08:19   #13
BHPian

Wow, that is a super neat job! In case someone wants to try another option, Polaroid sunglasses worked very well for me.
Old 27th December 2015, 15:44   #14
BHPian

Fantastic DIY to over come this niggling issue. I had seen similar work in J.Ravi and SDP's thread, but you have taken it a step further.
I am sure you have guts of steel to remove up panels like this. Are there any rattles post this work.

Not to take away your efforts, but according to me another alternative could be use of Plasti Dip or similar removable rubber paints.

These can be applied without removing the factory fit panels, a single or 2 coats of paint will be sufficient to cut down on the reflection and third, paint will add a nice effect of mat finish / dark finish and will be much more aesthetic.

And last but not the least, this paint can be peeled off if damaged or if not required.

DIY guyz, what say, give it a try.
Old 31st December 2015, 18:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Wow, that is a super neat job! In case someone wants to try another option, Polaroid sunglasses worked very well for me.
thanks, i will try the polaroid sun glasses, I have one with little dark shade but that will cut lot of brightness along with the reflection, but worth giving a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Fantastic DIY to over come this niggling issue. I had seen similar work in J.Ravi and SDP's thread, but you have taken it a step further.
I am sure you have guts of steel to remove up panels like this. Are there any rattles post this work.

Not to take away your efforts, but according to me another alternative could be use of Plasti Dip or similar removable rubber paints.

These can be applied without removing the factory fit panels, a single or 2 coats of paint will be sufficient to cut down on the reflection and third, paint will add a nice effect of mat finish / dark finish and will be much more aesthetic.

And last but not the least, this paint can be peeled off if damaged or if not required.

DIY guyz, what say, give it a try.
@ arunu, thanks pal, fortunately i have few very friendly and skilled people inside mahindra who gave me tip to open without damaging anything. trust me its very easy to open if you know how.

I just covered 3000+ Pune > Udaipur > Jodhpur > Jaisalmer > Ahmedabad > Pune and no rattles at all.

I would love to explore the option of rubber paints, can you give me any idea of sourcing one locally? (Pune)

Most Viewed