Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 15:04   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: An overland vehicle on a budget! Storage & sleeping area in a Thar

Hello 911er this DIY project is absolutely brilliant.
Red Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 13:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
This is a great design. Have one question - how did you fasten the wooden assembly to the vehicle. IF not fastened would it not be rattling and moving around? Besides you need to restrain it at the front otherwise it could push the front seats when you brake suddenly. I am planning to do something similar and with a hard top. I would also like to know if there is any one in this group who can accompany a team to say Myanmar and then to Thailand by the Asian Highway - Overlanding and some hotel stays

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th January 2016 at 14:28. Reason: removing large quoted post
Old 11th January 2016, 22:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdumashanker View Post
This is a great design. Have one question - how did you fasten the wooden assembly to the vehicle. IF not fastened would it not be rattling and moving around? Besides you need to restrain it at the front otherwise it could push the front seats when you brake suddenly. I am planning to do something similar and with a hard top. I would also like to know if there is any one in this group who can accompany a team to say Myanmar and then to Thailand by the Asian Highway - Overlanding and some hotel stays

Thank you so much.

Yes, having the storage loose would be a very bad idea. Not only would it move into the front seat, it would also move around and up/down on a bad road or while offroad. I have fastened the entire assembly using 3 bolts on either side. These holes, with welded nuts, are the ones on which the rear seats were mounted. I made a groove in the wood so the bolt would be flush with the top.

To further stop any rattling, I insulated the entire rear cab with heatlon foam. (See photo below). This not only helps stops any squeaks, it also helps insulate sound and heat coming from the rear cab. Let me know if I can help in any way when you're making yours. I'd be happy to!

DIY: An overland vehicle on a budget! Storage & sleeping area in a Thar-insulation-done.jpg
911er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 01:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:

It was ready, for now.
An excellent post. Hopefully, I can execute a similar plan on my 2020 Thar.

One question: How comfortable were you throughout the night? Since you are 6 feet tall and sleeping within 5 feet might be a task.

But, I must say. I am inspired and a little free time at hand will get me started with this project.
OneLivingLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 17:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
An excellent post. Hopefully, I can execute a similar plan on my 2020 Thar.

One question: How comfortable were you throughout the night? Since you are 6 feet tall and sleeping within 5 feet might be a task.

But, I must say. I am inspired and a little free time at hand will get me started with this project.
Thank you! I'd love to see what you come up with. To be honest, it wasn't the most comfortable sleep, specially if you had other things back there. I would move my icebox and water jerry cans to the front, fold both front seats ahead and that gave me just enough room to sleep.

If you do decide to start your build, reach out if you have any questions. Hope to see your build soon!
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:33   #21
BHPian

Very nice and congratulations on a job well done

I have a no-build car camping setup in my old Creta as well. One aspect that I would suggest you to be wary about is the fact that your removal of the rear seats can be easily interpreted as "RC violation" by law-enforcement agencies.

I hope that the storage space does not eat into the headroom when you sit up on the bed which I assume will be on the storage space. I have to admit though that your setup looks very nice, clean and professional
Old 25th March 2023, 16:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Very nice and congratulations on a job well done

I have a no-build car camping setup in my old Creta as well. One aspect that I would suggest you to be wary about is the fact that your removal of the rear seats can be easily interpreted as "RC violation" by law-enforcement agencies.

I hope that the storage space does not eat into the headroom when you sit up on the bed which I assume will be on the storage space. I have to admit though that your setup looks very nice, clean and professional
Thank you very much. Unfortunately I had to sell the car after a spinal surgery. But the headroom was adequate to sit even with the storage. But that's a very good point about the RC violation which seems to be becoming stricter now. It's something I will keep in mind for the next build.

I would love to know more about your Creta setup too.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately I had to sell the car after a spinal surgery.
Oh no, I hope and pray that you have recovered completely now.

Quote:
I would love to know more about your Creta setup too.
Sure, please feel free to check out the details in the thread in the following link and I hope that you will find it interesting :-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ip-review.html (5+ years with my Hyundai Creta | Ownership Review)
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks