Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 19:55   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post

In this case, can I get the original Intercooler + Turbo charger of Maruti and fix it on my VVT ?
Haha. Hope you aren't serious when you posted.

May not be possible IMO to get it fixed.
Old 8th March 2016, 00:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Haha. Hope you aren't serious when you posted.

May not be possible IMO to get it fixed.
Yeah, just kidding. Will be a back and wallet breaking project.

But just makes my blood rush when I hear a turbo kickin while accelerating. What sweet sound.

Kudos on the DIY Anurag. Loved it.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 14:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Cleaning the Intercooler

Interesting but highly labour-intensive DIY there, Anurag.
Quote:
(i) Park the car on a firm ground and raise it using the jack so that one can work beneath to open the bolts at the base of the bumper. Keep the handbrake engaged for safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
DO NOT work under a car by placing it on a jack. Always place the car on a jack stand (two ideally in this case). It can be extremely hazardous if the jack slips / gives way (for the car and the individual).
Quote:
I agree but as seen in the picture I didn't lift the car at all.
Oops... I was about to mention the same thing VeyronSuperSprt did, but noticed on the next page that you had mentined that you had not lifted the car at all. If one does need to get under a jacked vehicle (or even if working with the wheel removed), yes indeed, jack stands are a must.
Quote:
I prepared a mild solution of dish washing detergent and some car shampoo

After the 5 washes totally that I did with the hot soap solution, the subsequent ones were with regular shampoo (read without heating).

>> A total of 14 washes I had to do to get a clear soap solution when emptied into the bucket.

This is a critical step as I have read that the soap if not removed thoroughly could enter the through the piston rings and breakdown the oil. So this is another important step in this process.

>> I used regular water for this process...

>> Repeat the cleaning process till the output water is free from any traces oil that is seen floating on the top layer.

>> Last but not the least add 500 ml of 100 % IPA over the intercooler and pour some of it inside and let it drain. It evaporates quickly without remaining inside for long and does disperse the water droplets inside so the drying step is easier.

C. Drying:

--- All the water inside must be thrown out of the intercooler before refitting it. Use a heater or a high capacity blower for this process. A heated blower is preferred. I used my wife’s hair dryer for this purpose.
I am completely confused here... why use soap water and isopropyl alcohol to clean out oil? Why not something simple like, say, diesel or kerosene? Would take a lot fewer washes (14 with soap water and 9 with plain water! wow!), and any residue can happily enter the engine without damaging it in any way.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 19:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

I am completely confused here... why use soap water and isopropyl alcohol to clean out oil? Why not something simple like, say, diesel or kerosene? Would take a lot fewer washes (14 with soap water and 9 with plain water! wow!), and any residue can happily enter the engine without damaging it in any way.
Alcohol cuts grease better than kerosene and diesel. It just makes oil, grease runny. Only problem is quantity. Faster evaporation in summer is tough proposition. But works wonders.
Old 13th March 2016, 05:23   #35
BHPian

Superb recording of DIY steps with detailed explanation.
If there are any gaskets/washers in the connections, they need to be replaced. Suggest to add them in DIY.

By the way, what are : "FNG guy" and "EGR"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In fact the real reason for the Intercooler Cleaning for vehicles with Oil Cooled Turbo is that, however perfect or new the turbo oil seal is, some amount of oil seeps into the intake side (intercooler and intake plumbing). Also oil comes from the PCV. Because of this, the intercooler gets clogged. Resulting in a serious drop in performance.
Sorry to go off topic. Just curious which parts of the T-C are cooled in oil cooled turbo? Is it s open circuit (not like cooling jacket) which makes the oil come in contact with air? Would you know which type of bearings/lubrication the T-C typically uses (I was thinking the oil in the cooler could be from beatings)? By PCV you mean pressure-control valve of oil circuit? Not sure I got how the PCV oil gets into T-C? Please could you elaborate it a bit? Thanks.
Old 13th March 2016, 07:12   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Superb recording of DIY steps with detailed explanation.
If there are any gaskets/washers in the connections, they need to be replaced. Suggest to add them in DIY.

By the way, what are : "FNG guy" and "EGR"?
Thank you buddy.

The intercooler piping/houses are held together by clamps as seen in the pictures. No gaskets or washers.

FNG : Friendly Neighborhood Garage
EGR : Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Old 13th March 2016, 09:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Just curious which parts of the T-C are cooled in oil cooled turbo?
The engine oil is circulated trough the center shaft of the turbo. In between the compressor side and turbine side. Where most turbos have bushings, some have bearings, which are lubricated.
Quote:
By PCV you mean pressure-control valve of oil circuit? Not sure I got how the PCV oil gets into T-C?
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It recirculates oil/vapors back into the engine, through the intake manifold. Oil doesnt get into the turbo charger, it gets into the intercooler/intake plumbing.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 19:19   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice way to spend a sunday. I guess you must have a lot of time at your disposal!
Quote:
Yeah, just kidding. Will be a back and wallet breaking project.

But just makes my blood rush when I hear a turbo kickin while accelerating. What sweet sound.
You could install an intercooler for a not so high cost. But the bigger question will be how beneficial it would turn out to be. I can maybe assure you that there would be no difference to performance or efficiency or such if you just get an intercooler to an existing NA petrol engine.

Turbo compresses the intake air and this compression increases temperature of air along with the heat of the turbo. This charged air is cooled by the intercooler to remove the temperature increase. In an NA petrol engine, intake air temperature is nothing but the temperature of the outside air. This, if you pass through an intercooler, is again cooled by the outside air. Hence, makes no difference
Old 14th March 2016, 20:04   #39
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2016 at 08:03.
prithm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2016, 22:12   #40
BHPian

One more thing Anurag, these intercoolers are not interchangeable between DDIS & VVT right? Given the plumbing is almost similar between these engines.
Old 14th March 2016, 22:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing Anurag, these intercoolers are not interchangeable between DDIS & VVT right? Given the plumbing is almost similar between these engines.
The DDiS and the petrol one, are entirely different engines with entirely different air intake plumbing, coolant plumbing, oil pipes plumbing etc..

It absolutely doesnt make any sense for you to fit an intercooler only to clean it periodically.

You can - however, turbocharge your engine, and then fit a intercooler and clean it. It'll perform beautifully. But then, It might cost you in upwards of 3-4 lacs for a professional job.
Quote:
Alcohol cuts grease better than kerosene and diesel. It just makes oil, grease runny. Only problem is quantity. Faster evaporation in summer is tough proposition. But works wonders.
It is always not a good idea to use water to clean any of the engine components including plumbing. The reason being, there is a chance it might enter the engine.

Last edited by dhanushs : 14th March 2016 at 22:33.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 01:45   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It is always not a good idea to use water to clean any of the engine components including plumbing. The reason being, there is a chance it might enter the engine.
Absolutely right. That's why I did stress on the importance of the Drying step in the DIY.

May be time consuming but had to be done to avoid any issues later on like Hydro lock that can happen if the water droplets trapped inside are large in size.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:09   #43
BHPian

Great DIY friend. Excellent detailing and professional pictures. You have made awesome use of an otherwise lazy Sunday
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 03:40   #44
BANNED

Did the intercooler cleaning in my friends Swift 2012 model VDi that just crossed 1 lakh kms. Sparsely used now a days and had got some free time so went ahead with the cleaning.

Almost 80+ ml of oil was collected from the intercooler. Last time it was cleaned at the 60K service at MASS. From 80k kms parts is serviced at FNG.

No pictures for this repeat DIY but was easy and faster.

All plumbing and clamps were changed post cleaning.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th October 2016 at 03:42.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 22:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff Anurag.I have one query or rather need some guidance regarding same engine, but this is for a friends Indica Vista Quadrajet - 75ps.

He has been complaining of low FE ( Around 15-16kmpl on highway ) and nothing else.Tata Motors have not been able to help in this case.We are thinking on doing EGR cleaning, Injector cleaning to try if that helps.Car is at 36K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks