Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 09:42   #1
BHPian

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz

I bought a taffeta white Jazz CVT in August 2015 for my wife. She's an oncologist - she goes to work pretty early (7AM) and comes back late in the evening (7PM). In between the car is parked at the hospital where I have found, amongst other things, monkeys gnawing on the antenna, from the adjacent national park no doubt :-/. No real damage happens during the day time. Around 5 nights a month she stays overnight at the hospital. This is when another kind of monkey comes into play - humans. The car has been 'keyed' on multiple occasions. Usually the scratches are superficial and a little rubbing compound is all that is needed to deal with it.

A month or so ago a slightly more aggressive approach was used by some low life who shall for ever go uncaught; a large deliberate scratch across the bonnet in the shape of a loop that was deep enough to expose the metal beneath. This got me worried about the possibility of rust setting in and I decided to do something about it.

I assure you its much worse when viewed in person:
DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0564.jpg

I bought a simple touch up kit from Com-Paint via Amazon and 3 days and less than 800 rupees later this showed up in the mail:
DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0562.jpg

The process was reasonably simple:

1. Cleaned and dried the area throughly.
2. Used a rigid rubber applicator and filled in the scratch with paste.
3. Gave it an hour to dry.
4. Wet-Sanded it down with EP400.
5. Sprayed on 4 coats of Taffeta White.
6. One coat of 'merger' for the edges to merge the lines between the original paint and the fresh coats.
7. 24 hours to dry.

Note: Its important to lift and prop up the bonnet till its flat and level at 180 degrees to avoid drips.

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0568.jpg

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0572.jpg

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0574.jpg

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0576.jpg

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0581.jpg

DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz-img_0583.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2016 at 16:03. Reason: Adding additional point you just shared :)
reihem is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 10:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I bought a simple touch up kit from Com-Paint via Amazon and 3 days and less than 800 rupees later this showed up in the mail
As Edd China from Wheeler Dealers would say, "Result!". Fantastic job done for 800 rupees, a little bit of sweat and patience. Honda ASS would have taken thousands and thousands of rupees out of your pocket for that!
Viju is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 10:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
As Edd China from Wheeler Dealers would say, "Result!". Fantastic job done for 800 rupees, a little bit of sweat and patience. Honda ASS would have taken thousands and thousands of rupees out of your pocket for that!
Thank you ! Frankly, the only part that broke a sweat (a lot of sweat) was the sanding. I did not expect the sanding to be that difficult. EP400 barely feels like sand paper (my only reference is from carpentry). It look at least 30 mins of vigorous wet sanding to achieve a smooth finish.
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Hi reihem,

NIce job done there.

I have a similar kind of scratch on my Laura's Bonnet. My car is Corrida Red in colour. Can you please provide me the link from where I can source the Corrida red paint and other essentials.
Awaiting your response

Thanks in advance,
abhayankara
Old 6th June 2016, 12:55   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post
Hi reihem,

NIce job done there.

I have a similar kind of scratch on my Laura's Bonnet. My car is Corrida Red in colour. Can you please provide me the link from where I can source the Corrida red paint and other essentials.
Awaiting your response

Thanks in advance,
abhayankara
The kit I bought was from Com-Paint, and the only red they seem to have for Skoda is 'Flash Red'. You can explore the options on their site here :

http://com-paint.com/products/com-pa...k-kit-for-cars
reihem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Good effort. The spraying needs skill. Better to try out first on a sloping metal surface like an old metal container, to prevent mishaps like paint over-spray, paint dripping etc. Have tried this stuff on bumpers but results were not up to expectations and had to go to the painter eventually. Depends highly on individual craftsmanship.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:

A month or so ago a slightly more aggressive approach was used by some low life who shall for ever go uncaught; a large deliberate scratch across the bonnet in the shape of a loop that was deep enough to expose the metal beneath.
How can someone have the heart to do this . Well this is again something we have to deal with . Job well done for a miniscule of the price . Looks good as new . Keep us posted if there's any discoloration over time .

P.S - Have you clear coated the paint ?
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
How can someone have the heart to do this . Well this is again something we have to deal with . Job well done for a miniscule of the price . Looks good as new . Keep us posted if there's any discoloration over time .

P.S - Have you clear coated the paint ?
Its horrible, I can't understand what motivated someone to actually spend energy on destroying someone else's property. I am told jealousy and spite are major motivators but I don't buy that because its an attempt to partially justify the act by blaming disparity.

I just think some people are jerks !

I haven't applied a clear coat, I intend on subjecting the bonnet to a wax job later this week but not sure how i would go about getting a clear coat applied. I could see if the same manufacturer sells it.
Old 6th June 2016, 15:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a simple touch up kit from Com-Paint via Amazon and 3 days and less than 800 rupees later this showed up in the mail:
Can you please share the link on Amazon for the kit? Luckily I found the colour for our i20 which too might need a similar job.

BTW, would just a spray from the can hold good on some bumper scratches?
Old 6th June 2016, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Hello friend,

Nice job. Just a clarification.

Seems you have applied the paint over the entire bonnet. Did you? Or you applied the paint only on the sanded portion and applied the merger thereafter?

Also, are the containers re-usable (Aerosol)? Was there any tiny bubbles (solvent popping) visible after application?
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Can you please share the link on Amazon for the kit? Luckily I found the colour for our i20 which too might need a similar job.

BTW, would just a spray from the can hold good on some bumper scratches?
search for com paint kit hyundai on amazon.in and all the options show up !

I think it looks better if the scratches are levelled out with filler before painting, but i suppose it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Hello friend,

Nice job. Just a clarification.

Seems you have applied the paint over the entire bonnet. Did you? Or you applied the paint only on the sanded portion and applied the merger thereafter?

Also, are the containers re-usable (Aerosol)? Was there any tiny bubbles (solvent popping) visible after application?
I covered only the sanded portion. The containers are reusable. No bubbles were seen.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2016 at 21:41. Reason: Typo.
reihem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Hey !!!

Nice work there. How is the finish as compared to other panels without the clear coat ? Does it feel equally smooth ? My Civic's bonnet is all scratched because dogs in my society love to sleep on the cars. Mine being a black color is most affected. This might help in fixing the bonnet.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey !!!

Nice work there. How is the finish as compared to other panels without the clear coat ? Does it feel equally smooth ? My Civic's bonnet is all scratched because dogs in my society love to sleep on the cars. Mine being a black color is most affected. This might help in fixing the bonnet.
Its as smooth, I should point out a missing step from my original post, its important to lift and prop up the bonnet till its flat and level at 180 degrees to avoid drips.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

That is a superb job done. Looks perfect.

One question though - I heard somewhere that the Com-Paint starts to lose color after some time, and starts discoloring. Is that true?
Old 6th June 2016, 16:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Big round of applause, the best DIY i would say since we do encounter such issues. Excellent outcome. I was looking for something for my CL500 Dessert storm owing to the delicate paint.Thanks for penning this down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks