Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 11:03   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please help out with the Dutch! I think most of the Lancaster crew designations can be guessed, but I haven't any clue at all about boodwerktuigkundige

Boordwerktuigkundige means Flight Engineer.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:39   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Last week I worked some more on my steam engine. I finished the basic shape of the cilinder.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2820.jpg

All the drill bits, taps and reamers have arrived as well. I am off work for a short holiday this coming week, so I am hoping to make some good progress.

I had planned this short holiday more than 6 month ago. I have written about our friends Cees and Annelies who run a bed and breakfast in France. Every year we visit them with our Spider friends. This year we were supposed to drive down on Friday the 12th of June, stay 3 nights and everybody goes their own way after that. I had booked another B&B on the outskirts of Rheims. My wife and I wanted to tour around the Champagne area a bit.

Usually we have our France trip earlier in the year. This year we had specifically planned it to coincide with a huge classic car event near Cees and Annelies. Allas, it was all not te be. A few weeks ago it became clear France would not open its borders till 15th of June at the earliest. So we had to cancel. We have replanned to go mid August.

But as everybody had already taken time off, I suggested to get together and do a little tour with our Spiders in our neighbourhood.

So by Friday morning 10.00 clock Spider started to arrive. Here is what is known as the italian Flag Spider line up. (admittedly upside down) Mine is on the left, Bianca’s gorgeous Coda Tronca in the middle and Spanner Mate’s Peter on the far right.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120001.jpg

Soon, Bart arrived in his “British Green Series 4 and Niek in his Serie 3, Aerodynamica. (almost identical to mine)

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120004.jpg

We had coffee with cake, everybody catching up with everybody and of course we had to spend some time in my garage!

Soon we set of. I had put together a nice route. About 100 kilometers. But it never takes us away from home than about 30 kilometers as the crow flies. I recorded the route in my TomTom and send the GPX file to our friends.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-screenshot-20200614-7.43.00-am.png

Of we went: Stopping to let the occasional local train pass.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2826.jpg

Our tour took us to nearby little historic village Buren. We stopped and walked around for about an hour. Then we moved on and stopped a bit later for a nice enroute picnic

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120006.jpg

Usually these picnic everybody sits in a big circle and all the food gets shared. Due to the Corona we had to be a little bit more careful.

Some more driving

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2828.jpg

And a photo app along the river Waal.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120010.jpg

I had made arrangements with my friend Bernd to stop on the way home at his model car museum. Bernd loves to receive classic car clubs and was happy to oblige.

Here we are parked in front of his museum. Bernd Mini and two Rover 75 parked next to our Spiders

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120023.jpg

Everybody was amazed looking at these more than 7000 model cars!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120019.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6120021.jpg

After our museum visit we drove home, for some drinks and nibbles. We were having a wonderful time. For most of us, this was not just a great day, catching up and enjoying the company of old friends. It was also the first true outing after having being locked up for several months!

More to come on these Spiders in August and we head for France.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 14th June 2020 at 11:40.
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 15:01   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Nice to see the ongoing metalwork. Looking forward to more, of course.

Love it that Bianca has the white car
Old 14th June 2020, 22:04   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Love it that Bianca has the white car
It is actually a very light shade of creme. These true whites, don’t look well on a Spider. You don’t want your Italian beauty looking like a fridge on wheels!

Tried out a few things. I wanted to get a feel for shrink fitting. So a piece of brass I drilled two holes, 2.9mm and 5.9 mm. I also have pieces of roundbar silver steel 3mm and 6 mm.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140001.jpg

Borrowed my wife’s oven, preheated it to 220oC:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140002.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140003.jpg

I put the two pieces of silver steel in the freezer. Left all the pieces for some 20 minutes and tried to fit them together:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140004.jpg

The 6mm went into the 5.9mm quite nicely. The 3mm was way to loose in the 2.9mm hole. Even after everything was back to room temperature it was to loose. So I figure something probably went wrong in drilling the 2.9mm hole.

Back to my wobble engine: Got going on the fly wheel today. The flywheel has a diameter of 50mm, width of 15 mm. And it needs a 6mm hole for the shaft. I had a piece of metal about 53mm x 20mm. So I squared it on both sides whilst also getting it down to the exact 15mm width.

I drilled the 6 mm hole very carefully with the flywheel still in the lathe. This little wobble engine comes with excellent drawings AND instruction on the web, per part:

http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/ste...l/flywheel.htm

I am, largely, following them by the letter. So I also made this arbor in order to skim the fly wheel to the correct diameter.

I used my 6mm die to cut some thread:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140005.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140006.jpg

The little pivot with the thread looked perfect. Nice, tight hand fit for the flywheel to go on. However, I made a mistake! I have one box full of taps and dies. Left side is metric fine and right side is all metric regular. I used the 6mm fine die. And I don’t have a single nut metric fine in my shop!

So I took a M5 nut, drilled it out with a 5mm drill bit and ran a regular M6 tap through it. Did the trick!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140007.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140008.jpg

You need to make sure no radius is left at the base of the arbor shaft. The flywheel needs to fit square against the arbor to have sufficient friction. Worked a treat. I went easy on the cuts, but I could easily take cuts of 0,5mm diameter without it moving!

So here is the finished product:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140009.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140010.jpg

I still need to drill a hole perpendicular to the shaft to accommodate a grub screw. That is for another day. I am still pondering on the finish of the fly wheel. After machining it on the Lathe, I used sanding paper, 320, 800 and finally 1200.

It feels completely smooth to the touch, but I think the finish can be better. I need to work some more on my turning technique I reckon:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140012.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140011.jpg

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6140013.jpg  

Last edited by Jeroen : 14th June 2020 at 22:07.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:59   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the Jaguar to its annual MOT. Passed with flying colours!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2837.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2838.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:41   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I managed to finish the cylinder pivot in about 2,5 hours. Started as a 6mm round bar. Now it looks like this, exact measurements, M4 thread on one side, M3 on the other side.
You singlepointed a M3 and M4 thread without previous experience.

Quote:
Tried out a few things. I wanted to get a feel for shrink fitting. So a piece of brass I drilled two holes, 2.9mm and 5.9 mm. I also have pieces of roundbar silver steel 3mm and 6 mm.
For accurate work, even for drilling holes, better to use the lathe than the pillar drill. But you'll need a four jaw chuck.

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 15th June 2020 at 19:46.
Old 15th June 2020, 20:27   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

I seem to remember that part of Jeroen's interesting history was merchant-marine Engineer, and this is not his first machining experience. Just that he's out of practice. Like I remember much of how but could no longer just sit down and do the do of making someone a wedding ring.

I was wondering if he ground the drill bits as in for brass. And thought, Sutripta will be along to explain
Old 15th June 2020, 23:49   #608
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Best practices require a different rake angle for brass. Not really relevant in this case.
I think the 2.9 drill was too spindly/ not rigid enough, and ended up with a possibly bellmouth hole. A drilled hole is normally slightly bigger than the drill dimension. Also the drill needs to be measured.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 00:10   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You singlepointed a M3 and M4 thread without previous experience.
Quote:
I seem to remember that part of Jeroen's interesting history was merchant-marine Engineer, and this is not his first machining experience. Just that he's out of practice.
Yes, I have lots of experience machining, just nothing too too recent. We were taught at Naval College and all the ships I sailed on had a very good lathe. In all honesty, I spend more time on the lathe building toys for my kids than matching parts for the engines, but still. Another factor is playing havoc with my machining skills, my memory and some cognitive functions are playing up is not helping, no mistake. Simple drawings, but big problems for me to understand. Still, I am enjoying it. I have always found it extremely rewarding to be able to make something tangible with my hands, no matter what!

Quote:
For accurate work, even for drilling holes, better to use the lathe than the pillar drill. But you'll need a four jaw chuck.
Yes, but I don’t have one. I will be using the lath on the cylinder, even as it has an offset, but that actually works ok in the three jaw chuck as you will see soon!

Quote:
I was wondering if he ground the drill bits as in for brass. And thought, Sutripta will be along to explain
No to the first part, Yes, most probably to the second part! In fact I am counting on it!

Quote:
^^^
Best practices require a different rake angle for brass. Not really relevant in this case.
I think the 2.9 drill was too spindly/ not rigid enough, and ended up with a possibly bellmouth hole. A drilled hole is normally slightly bigger than the drill dimension. Also the drill needs to be measured.
Well, live and learn, the 6mm hole in the fly wheel is actually a tad too narrow. Not enough to worry about, although I might want to get a reamer for it.

I am finding that the holes are easily 0,1mm wider at the top than at the bottom of the hole. All the more reason to use a reamer. Big problem thought. My favourite tool supplier HBM is running low on stock, as most if not all of its stock comes from China. I bought two reamers. Each one was considerably more expensive than a complete set with 10 reamers from HBM. Grinding my teeth and ordering more, as HBM could be out of stock for weeks if not months to come!

And another drilling experience below:

So I started on the crankshaft of my wobble engine. Which means machining a bit first. This time I used HSS bits and they gave a much, much better finish straight away.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150001.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150002.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150003.jpg

The finished bit looked quite nice. Certainly a lot smoother than the fly wheel!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150004.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150005.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150006.jpg

I drilled the 6 mm hole with this bit still on the lathe. Then I took it out and spend an extraordinary amount of time marking the hole for the crank pin. I drilled it on my mini mill, with a 2.9mm drill. The 3mm silver steel crank pin fitted into it with a little tap of the hammer. The 6mm hole for the axle appears to be a little loose. Remarkably, with the very same drill bit on the fly wheel it is an almost to tight fit!! Go figure!

Anyway, I am learning a lot from all these try and errors. Good fun!

Pleased with the end result. Looks like a crankshaft to me!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6150007.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 16th June 2020 at 00:16.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 02:12   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

As I have mentioned before, one of my other big interest is Photography and I am an active member of the RPS Benelux Chapter. I am also a member of the board and treasurer. Recently we have appointed some new board members as some other resigned. One of the new board members and chapter organiser is a Belgium professional photographer. I have met him several times at some of our events. About a year ago he organised an event for us in his studio. So I have always been talking about photography, whenever we met.

Today, but sheer coincidence I found out he is a classic car nut, just like me! He has three classic cars. He send me some images, a RR Silver Shadow 1969 , a Bentley T 1967 and a Bentley Eight (Mulsane) 1989. He is, just like me quite active in the classic car scene, but in Belgium.

He takes his Rollers all over Europe. So we are going to get together in the next months and discuss cars, and maybe a bit of photography too!

Back to my wobble engine!! Steady progress!!

Today I put on my brave face and decided to do some fancy drilling and more tapping. The cilinder needs a 12 mm very precise hole bored!

So I put it into the lathe, using a few pieces of aluminium to protect the brass. The three chuck works fine for this, it gives me the exact offset I was looking for!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160001.jpg

I drilled with 2 mm increments, up to 11.8mm. Then I used the 12 mm reamer.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160002.jpg

The reamer did a pretty good job, except at the very top where it left some marks. Not sure why, I was careful to push it in, one slow smooth motion. Lots of cutting oil too. I used very low RPM too.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160003.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160004.jpg

Before continuing I had to clean my lathe very thoroughly from all the drilling chips. It all came out through the centre in the lathe, which also meant cleaning out the gears.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160005.jpg

Next a bit of honing. I used the tips as shown on the original website I got the design form. Got myself an old broomstick and turned it down to about 11 mm.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160006.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160007.jpg

Used a traditional very simple wood hacksaw to cut it partly in two.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160008.jpg

Put a large screw in it and presto a make shift “honing” rig ready for use.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160009.jpg

About 30 minutes of working with this little tool and metal polish and the cilinder looks absolutely perfect on the inside. Except those few scratches. But I reckon they are too high up for the piston to reach. We will see.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160010.jpg

Next very careful alignment of the cilinder into the mini mill for some fancy drilling. Two holes, one 2 mm through and one 2.5 mm only 4 mm deep and to be threaded.

Measuring, marking, checking the position of this piece towards the orientation of the drill bit took a long time.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160012.jpg

But it the end it all worked!! So the cilinder is all done now!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160013.jpg

Every time I use my lathe and or mini mill, at the end of the day I spend some 15 minutes cleaning up everything. I like my workbench tidy and also my machinery in tip top shape. So I brush, clean, blow gentle air, oil everything, ready for another day.

It is also time to do some more work on cars! Luc’s Golf GTI is up for its annual service. So I told him to get the same oil/filter and we will have a go. I also want to check his brakes and brake pads.

More to come

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160014.jpg  

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p6160015.jpg  

Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 04:44   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

You know that feeling when you are not certain if you did something or dreamed it?

I have a strong sense of knowing the splinter-like chips from brass, but I can't think how or from when. Did I do it? Or just watch it on YouTube?

Well, I worked in two or three engineering companies nearly 50 years ago. Nothing skilled, but I certainly drilled a few hundred holes in this, that and the other.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 15:16   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but I don’t have one. I will be using the lath on the cylinder, even as it has an offset, but that actually works ok in the three jaw chuck as you will see soon!
Quote:
The three chuck works fine for this, it gives me the exact offset I was looking for!
I think whoever drew up the plans for this steam engine dimensioned it so that all work could be done on a 3 jaw chuck! Won't be so lucky always!

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:40   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think whoever drew up the plans for this steam engine dimensioned it so that all work could be done on a 3 jaw chuck! Won't be so lucky always!
Probably, we will cross that bridge when we meet it. This little wobble engine is ideal for people like me. I.e. people who know/knew a bit about metal work and want to have a real little project to start developing their skills further.

Its an easy and also a pretty forgiving design. There are only a few dimension that are really crucial. Its really a very pleasant way of getting back into the swing of things. Through my Dutch (steam) model building forum I have also come across a gent who build this very same model some time ago, for pretty much the same reason as me:

https://ruudgroen.nl/wobbler/

Interestingly enough soon after finishing this little starter project and one or two other projects he upgraded his lathe and mill to something much nicer!

So far I had to invest mainly in drill / cutting bits, a few taps and reamers. I have also ordered a simply knurling tool. I keep telling my wife all these bits and pieces will be used over and over again. As it stands this steam engine is not exactly cheap, let me tell you.

As I said before, I find working with my hands, creating stuff, fixing stuff, extremely rewarding. I am not an artist, although I do dabble a bit in photography. But making things from raw materials (wood / metal) takes real skill and experience. Good way to spend some of my time. Also, I am advised to keep my mind active, without stressing it. So this little project does all of that. Secretly, I have been looking at upgrading my lathe/mini mill, but I don’t think it is necessary yet! Although, when it comes to my hobbies and interest, necessity is not necessarily a criteria. Desirability is probably more relevant!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 03:07   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course, I am envious! But I think that this is absolutely perfect for you. Tell your wife it is therapy! And remind her of the things you used to make for the kids in those engine-room workshops!

Spotted on instagram the other day: a guy with two lathes on a truck. Local school was updating their machine-shop equipment and scrapping the old. He said he was sad that he could not get the administrator to accept more than scrap value for them! Sounds like you have a pretty good social network: keep your ear to the ground!

And... I think you are very much an artist!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 22:05   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Today my knurling tool arrived. It looks quite neat. However, there is a problem. It is too big for my lathe!! When I mount it, it protrudes way across the centreline!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2848.jpg

So I had two options, get a bigger lathe, or get a different knurling tool. My wife veto-ed the first options. So I am retiring this one and I have already ordered the new one.

Some progress on the steam engine, but no images. I just finished the end cap for the cilinder. And I messed up the frame. I drilled the bottom holes to attach it to the base plate on the wrong side!! Not sure, if I can salvage it. Worst case I have to redo it. Not a huge job, I have got the material in stock!

I will probably try and use it one way or the other.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks