Team-BHP - DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/190895-diy-s-cross-headlight-upgrade-morimoto-mini-d2s-stage-iii-bi-xenons-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady8701 (Post 4284653)
Wow! The level of detail in your thread is staggering. I spent a good deal of time just reading through and enjoyed every minute of it. Great job mate!
Seeing as how you're from Bangalore, would love to pick your brain some day about helping me with a Headlamp upgrade on my Vento TSI as well. The stock light just isn't doing it on my car.
Abhi

Thanks, Abhi. I'll be glad to provide any input I can to help you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4284671)
Next comes the DIY oven - Last I remember seeing this on Gannu's Polo DIY and now I wonder if this ends up as the universal and simple method to open up the reflectors.
Again, congratulations for successfully completing this modification, something that will be immensely useful for your night drives on all kind of roads.

Thank you Parag. The starting point for this project was Ganesh's Morimoto install. From that time onwards I have read through several forums and watched many YouTube videos for opening the headlight's clear lens seal. It was not easy task with the huge headlights, but after opening two, we got the hang of it. :)

The light output has definitely helped me and jaunthead in our night drives. The width of the beam is just amazing. Although the pictures are overexposed a bit, the light output is not "whitish", rather its more closer to halogen and therefore useful. The light output from stock headlights in rain is absolutely zero, but this is far better although I wish it was even better. But the wet roads just absorb a whole lot of light.

Wow. This is one hellava DIY. Really appreciate the time, research, money and energy you guys have put into realising this.
I have an Scross Zeta which I bought recently and sometimes I wonder whom to feel bad for, we Zeta boys or you Alpha boys. I still feel that the lighting is inadequate after upgrading to the Philips Xtreme VIsion bulbs (I understand this isn't an upgrade at all, but better than stock)
My next option would be to try out the Philips Ultinons H8 first (because the Fogs are completely useless) and then the H4s
I travel a lot but try to avoid night driving as much as I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4283100)
You can swap the OE fog light to a bi xenon HID projector. Like couple of them who have done on their S-Cross. I had it in my Swift too.

Here's the link for the items​:

SINOLYN Car Motorcycle HID Bi xenon Fog Lights Projector Lens 3.0'' Bifocal Driving Lamps Waterproof Retrofit DIY High/Low Kit

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3274...ddresstype=600

Get this projectors without bulbs and below link for ballast (35W) and bulbs (H11 & 4300K)

35W xenon H11 HID for car Headlight bulbs H1 H3 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 9006 HB4 880 881 H27 4300K 5000K 6000K 8000k H7 HID xenon kit

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3277...e=600#autostay

Total investment will be ₹ 6,400 (₹4,900 for projectors + ₹1,400 for ballast and bulbs).

Hi a4anurag -
Very economical upgrade you've suggested clap:

But how good is the projector when it comes to holding up during heavy downpour and going through thick water-logged areas? I mean when you pit it against XP BI-LED and Morimoto projectors, will it be reliable? I see it's told 100% waterproof on the website, but will it surely hold up to it? Anyone on the forum who's already running on it that you're aware of?

Can we also use LED bulbs, isn't it, to get rid of complicated ballast placement in the fog housing, which will prove to be a space and time saver? If yes, which one would you suggest to pair with the projectors in the link above for my Brezza?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289077)
Anyone on the forum who's already running on it that you're aware of?

I have used it myself in my Swift.

BHPian Keynote;
BHPian Sudeepg;
BHPian Dr. Naren;

Couple more are using the XP Micro on their cars

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-my-swift.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...periences.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...group-diy.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4289126)

BHPian Keynote;
BHPian Sudeepg;
BHPian Dr. Naren;

Couple more are using the XP Micro on their cars

Sorry - believe my question was vague. I meant the projectors on the aliexpress where you’ve suggested for an economical upgrade, was being used already by any other bhpians was my initial question. Anyways, looks like you’re already using those projectors. How’s it holding up? We can plonk in an LED set that should work better? If yes, which LED would be a better match along with these projectors?

And yeah, I’ve gone through the experience of XP’s on Naren’s post. I was inclined towards BI-LED’s for now from XP that’s retailing at a better price now. After going through after sales experience, I’m a little skeptical because I already bought a pair of LED bulbs for my headlights which is working fine for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289135)
Sorry - believe my question was vague. I meant the projectors on the aliexpress where you’ve suggested for an economical upgrade, was being used already by any other bhpians was my initial question.

XP Micro is nothing but IPHCAR fog projector available on Ali express with Xenon Planet sticker. All XP Micro projectors have "IPHCAR " written on back side lol:

Quote:

I was inclined towards BI-LED’s for now from XP that’s retailing at a better price now. After going through after sales experience
I would suggest you to go with Morimoto projectors. Even Morimoto has launched Bi-Led projectors but it's available only in LHS cut off pattern now. Wait for few more weeks, they will release the RHS cut off projectors too in Bi-Led.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4289154)
XP Micro is nothing but IPHCAR fog projector available on Ali express with Xenon Planet sticker. All XP Micro projectors have "IPHCAR " written on back side lol:

Ha ha! How much are these projectors on aliexpress?

Quote:

I would suggest you to go with Morimoto projectors. Even Morimoto has launched Bi-Led projectors but it's available only in LHS cut off pattern now. Wait for few more weeks, they will release the RHS cut off projectors too in Bi-Led.
Then I shall wait for sometime. But how’s the sales and service?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289198)
Ha ha! How much are these projectors on aliexpress?

It will cost you very less if you get it directly from Ali express. Also you would need to spend around 3K extra for ballasts and bulbs. Xenon Planet guys just talk a lot about R & D, extensive testing etc. Most of their products are from Ali express and what they do is just put an XP sticker and sell for more than double price.

Check this link for IPHCAR 3 inch fog projectors :

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3267...dfUre#autostay

Quote:

Then I shall wait for sometime. But how’s the sales and service?
You can buy them from TRS USA. They are very good in customer support, warranty claims etc. Morimoto dealer for India is Retro Rides Delhi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4289207)
It will cost you very less if you get it directly from Ali express. Also you would need to spend around 3K extra for ballasts and bulbs. Xenon Planet guys just talk a lot about R & D, extensive testing etc. Most of their products are from Ali express and what they do is just put an XP sticker and sell for more than double price.

Check this link for IPHCAR 3 inch fog projectors :

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3267...dfUre#autostay

You can buy them from TRS USA. They are very good in customer support, warranty claims etc. Morimoto dealer for India is Retro Rides Delhi.

I’ll get in touch with Retro Rides and check for their quote. I will settle down for LED :)

Btw how is the payment process taken care on aliexpress? It seems like the prices are listed in USD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289364)
Btw how is the payment process taken care on aliexpress? It seems like the prices are listed in USD.

Currency converter is there on their App and approximate INR is given below that will be finally charged to the account used to purchase the items.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4289126)

BHPian Keynote;
BHPian Sudeepg;
BHPian Dr. Naren;

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289135)
Sorry - believe my question was vague. I meant the projectors on the aliexpress where you’ve suggested for an economical upgrade, was being used already by any other bhpians was my initial question. Anyways, looks like you’re already using those projectors. How’s it holding up? We can plonk in an LED set that should work better? If yes, which LED would be a better match along with these projectors?

Just following up on my question above. Are these projectors in use already by any of our bhpians? Just want to check before I can place an order based on the experience - I've also reached out to RetroRides to check on the pricing for morimotos. Waiting on them to respond. Meanwhile, would want to check on the same on your suggested projector which looks attractive with pricing :) Keeping all my options ready to weigh it against the offers I get and then proceed with purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289493)
Just following up on my question above. Are these projectors in use already by any of our bhpians? .

No one I know has bought projectors from AliExpress and using it currently. We all have bought from Xenon Planet.

At the end of the day both are same.stupid:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4289505)
No one I know has bought projectors from AliExpress and using it currently. We all have bought from Xenon Planet.

At the end of the day both are same.stupid:lol:

lol: this is causing a big confusion in my head :uncontrol

Ha ha everyone’s running on XP. I’m running on LED bulbs sourced from XP itself. One or the other way we’re all XP customers

I’ll wait for Retro guys to revert. I’ll keep this thread posted. Else will go for BI-LEDs from XP. Anyways, I’ve my electrician who does the entire job for me. I’ll visit him for installation as I don’t trust anyone else working on wiring related works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururajrv (Post 4289509)
Else will go for BI-LEDs from XP..

XP bi-led is nothing but an LED bulb placed in the existing HID projector.

Don't expect some great path breaking R&D done by XP. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4289511)
XP bi-led is nothing but an LED bulb placed in the existing HID projector.

Don't expect some great path breaking R&D done by XP to introduce the XP Micro V2. :uncontrol

Lol - not at all. I know they’ve just placed an LED there. But I saw Naren’s post and the output is pretty impressive with HID setup. If it’s at par with what you guys have now, I’m happy :)

Won’t make decisions yet. Will wait for Morimoto to revert. Either ways will keep updating this thread