Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 00:07   #1
BHPian

DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo

This post has two intentions.
First, is about how important it is to keep your filter clean.
Second, is how to do it on the Mahindra Quanto (and Xylo).

Although i saw a recent thread about cleaning the cabin filter of the Honda Odyssey and there are other threads about Cabin filter cleaning, I am starting a new thread as each car has a different way of removing the filter.

So, as a first step, lets see whats the use of an Air Filter. Whether you put the car in Re-circulation mode or in Fresh-Air mode, the air passes through a filter. This filter does the job of removing suspended matter like large dust particles etc. This helps immensely in keeping the cabin free of dust as well as keeping the AC system clean. You don't want the AC filters to be covered with dust - as the dust allows moisture to build up, and this in turn starts allowing fungus/bacteria to grow. So, the moral of the story is to keep the AC system clean and it will in turn give you a pleasant cool cabin!

The Indian cities are pretty dusty and where I live (Bangalore) it is even more dustier. The air filter gets clogged very quickly, and just to show how it looks, here is my air filter after about 6 months of the previous cleaning.

DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo-img_20170930_113655.jpg

The air output also usually reduces and this is more noticeable in cars that already have a poor AC.

Now, the Quanto has a filter that is made of plastic and hence can be washed with water. Some cars have a paper based filter and if this is the case, do make sure NOT to use water. A good blower should do the trick of blowing away the dust. In my case, a quick wash and about 2 hours of air-drying in sunlight got me this result:

DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo-img_20170930_123529.jpg

Note that both photos were taken at the same place. In the first photo the filter is blocked so much that one cannot even see the background. In the second photo one can see the stuff beyond the filter too. Its almost as different as night and day!!

Also, the air output (and consequently the cooling efficiency) increased dramatically.

Now, just a few quick photos how to do on a Quanto:
1. The AC filter is behind the glove compartment. So ,the glove compartment will need to be removed carefully. The last mechanic who cleaned the AC on my Quanto did a bad job and broke the hinges. Notice the screws still on with the glove compartment removed. So, do be careful as these hinges are delicate.

DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo-img_20170930_122811.jpg

2. Once the glove compartment is removed, carefully remove the flap that covers the filter. Unfortunately, did not take a photo of this.

3. Once the flap is opened, the filter can be pulled towards you, and it should come out completely.

DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo-img_20170930_122901.jpg

4. A picture with the AC filter removed...
DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo-img_20170930_122758.jpg

5. Clean the filter. Make sure the filter is absolutely dry - you don't want water to get into the AC vents. More so, because the fan is directly below the AC filter and water and electricity don't go very well with each other!!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by deep_bang : 4th October 2017 at 21:32.
deep_bang is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 07:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the DIY Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 09:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo

Informative post, thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Now, the Quanto has a filter that is made of plastic and hence can be washed with water. Some cars have a paper based filter and if this is the case, do make sure NOT to use water.
And then, some cars have gel type A/C and air-filter. The gel is in layers and the dirt gets accumulated in layers, you try cleaning it and the dust further penetrates and clogs your filter further, so better you know your filter type prior to cleaning it.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 18:01   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Informative post, thanks for sharing

And then, some cars have gel type A/C and air-filter. The gel is in layers and the dirt gets accumulated in layers, you try cleaning it and the dust further penetrates and clogs your filter further, so better you know your filter type prior to cleaning it.
Thanks. That's true.
Old 5th October 2017, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have already posted the AC Cabin Filter Cleaning Procedure for Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS at below link-

Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS AC Cabin Filter Cleaning
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 08:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I have already posted the AC Cabin Filter Cleaning Procedure for Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS at below link-

Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS AC Cabin Filter Cleaning
That is great to know. I somehow missed the above thread perhaps because the thread title is about Figo.
Mods: Is it possible to merge this thread and the posts related to the xylo from the above thread?
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 08:52   #7
BHPian

on my Xylo, I clean this cabin filter quite often now (maybe once a month), and I find the filter quite dirty which blocks the air flow and cooling. Its a 10 min job, and after washing the filter many times I use a microfiber cloth to dry the net quickly!

Just below that area, you can find the blower motor, which can be removed quite easily. I clean the inside fins of motor say every 5-6 months, and you will find much dust around. When the filter and motor both removed, use damp cloth to clean the inside of those compartments. Another 30-40 min task.

regards,
Pranav
Old 13th February 2018, 09:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Most cars have this "behind the glovebox" layout that makes the filter easy to remove and clean. My fiesta has its filter squeezed into a slot that's only accessible by removing a plastic panel below my gearshift column, on the driver side. Remove the panel using a Torx screwdriver, replace the filter and put the panel back.

This video shows the procedure - it shows it on the passenger side because it is in a US car, for us it is the driver side (but essentially the same side because India uses RHD)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks