Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 11:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: Bigger Intercooler Install for Fiat Linea T-Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Sir this is totally uncalled for. Especially here. PatchyBoy has shared something which may or may not match the expectation you might have (or have assumed) for the intercooler. He's gone ahead and put in his time and effort to share something to all of us for an interactive discussion.
I was meaning the graphs with missing vital parameters, like GPS/OBD Speed, which are used in this very thread to portray that the stock IC is doing a bad job, specifically since vehicle speed is proportional to the airflow, and airflow is vital for an ICs efficiency.

I own the same car, albeit in stock form, and I have done some data logging from my end, and found the results to be different from what have been used to showcase that the stock IC is bad, and I have just shared the graphs for everyone to see.

Point to note is both cars that are quoted in this thread to have modded ICs, are remapped and have mods done to the intake as well.

I am convinced to re-route the intake to match the factory spec of the MJD and would be doing that sometime soon, and am guessing the IAT should be even better in my graphs after that, shall update.

Never commented that the mod is useless, just that the drop in IAT seems similar for both stock vs modded cars! Hence the ask for a drive together, and log data, as per each one's convenience, so that this can be a fair ground to evaluate options one has, in case they want to mod their intercoolers. But that idea did not go well for reasons unknown.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 11th April 2018 at 11:04.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Being sold in the tropics might be the very reason Fiat opted to give a smaller intercooler to the car because in the tropical climates the higher moisture content in the air causes enough condensation to build up in larger intercoolers that it can cause other problems.
Very good point. That Ford IC seems to be massive. I have only upgraded from a 6 core IC to a 8 core IC. Logically the efficiency would have increased by 25%. I hope it will not cause condensation issues. Will keep an eye open for that. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
There are many dyno centres in Coimbatore. It would be great to compare there. Just check the power drop after couple of runs in cars with stock and upgraded intercooler.
That would be the best way to actually come to a conclusion, but sadly, it costs money to do that. I for one really cannot afford to spend that kind of money, just to prove that my claims are right. I mean, why do I have to prove it to anyone? I have done the mod and am sharing only what I am seeing. Tomorrow, if the engine blows up due to this mod, I will post that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Stock IC yes, but out of those 90k kms, 85-90% or even more of those kms are after remapping the car, right? Also, we started data logging only very recently.
The car was remapped when it had done 40K Kms. I think that is a tad more than 10-15% of 90K Kms. Lets not assume too many things here. You might have started data logging recently, but I have been logging / monitoring ever since I bought the car. Lets also not forget that the car has switchable maps and I mostly use stock map in city conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R
Also some tall claims!
I did not make some of those claims. So, I cannot answer them. Also, I do not see the point of discussing claims made somewhere else, by someone else here on my thread. I definitely drive more in 3rd gear than in 2nd post the IC mod. I am also seeing a consistent improvement in FE. Around 1.5 kmpl more than before, in the same driving conditions.

You don't have to trust these claims. I am not here to prove myself to the world. I just shared what I am seeing. Take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Following which...

The graph is plotted, using the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

This particular sensor is located before the turbocharger, after/before the air filter box.
An intercooler is fitted to cool the compressed air from the turbo, which gets hot as a result of compression. The role of the intercooler begins only after the turbo plumbing.

So, not sure how the readings from this sensor is changed after fitting an intercooler?!
I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. The temperature/pressure sensor is right on the throttle body.

DIY: Bigger Intercooler Install for Fiat Linea T-Jet-sensor.jpg

Bottom line -

I am really not interested in proving any of my findings to anyone here. That said, I am open to doing a side-by-side drive with a stock car and help log data and compare.

Cheers

EDIT -
Quote:
I was meaning the graphs with missing vital parameters, like GPS/OBD Speed, which are used in this very thread to portray that the stock IC is doing a bad job, specifically since vehicle speed is proportional to the airflow, and airflow is vital for an ICs efficiency.
All the graphs I have shared in this thread show speed. What am I missing?

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2018 at 18:00. Reason: Quoted post edited
PatchyBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 08:54   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
That is MAF sensor what you are talking about. The IAT reading in my S-Cross is not from MAF sensor..
I was wrong! All this while I was thinking he was mentioning be ambient IAT and hence wanted to prove there is no point in using those readings in a turbo car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hmmm and one would think anyone into tuning biz would know where the sensors are.
:-l

Quote:
Why would any modern intercooled engine ecu depend on pre-cooled air temp for fueling and timing when what matters is the air temp in the manifold or after IC.
Read the posts above. My point is the same. If the sensor is not along boost plumbing there is no point. Just mistook the OP was referring to temperatures measured before Turbo.
As to knowing where the sensor I mentioned was and what it was -
DIY: Bigger Intercooler Install for Fiat Linea T-Jet-268759830cb84ac6a1bb9533afa653af.png
Quote:
And yes a larger IC would make a difference in our hot climate.
There is more to it than just better delta change in temps across intercooler ends or more cold air for engine.

How soon does the manifold get th boost, Throttle response etc.

It will make a difference in highway drives. When there is air to cool the intercooler and when milli seconds doesn’t matter In throttle response.
Old 12th April 2018, 09:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will make a difference in highway drives. When there is air to cool the intercooler and when milli seconds doesn’t matter In throttle response.
Larger intercooler always does not = lag.
On a highway drive (cruise) there is lower heatsoaking a stock IC will be just fine.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:29   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was wrong! All this while I was thinking he was mentioning be ambient IAT and hence wanted to prove there is no point in using those readings in a turbo car.
I did figure out that you had misunderstood the OP and sensor mentioned. But, some cars do show temperature reading from both MAF and MAP sensors. IAT reading for most of the turbo cars is always after the intercooler .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 12th April 2018 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks