Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 12:06   #16

Re: DIY: Cruise Control installation on my Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura

Can you please tell me what will be the total cost involved if i want to get CC in my Abarth punto?
Turboaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 12:15   #17
BHPian

Fantastic job Wildy ! Happy to note that it ended successfully... It was a real suspense to read further when the initial procurement was of no use. Don't know when the manufacturers will treat us as equals to their European /American customers.

Cruise control will become a permanent feature in the near future aka automatics which were once treated as luxury, like Toyota Yaaris which has an automatic option on all the variants. It helps your long distance driving less stressful and convenient.

Enjoy your hard work to the fullest. All the best!
7heaven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 14:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job, well done. Very neatly installed too.

Shows that with a bit of determination and some simple tools you can work on a modern car too.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 15:40   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

well done wildy, what if you lost some money in the process, you learnt so much from this DIY. Highly appreciate your spirit. Now everytime you gun past 130+ on highways, the CC lever will stare at you like a sad dog. Once you have noticed it, there is no way you will keep pumping the A-pedal, your conscience will force you to drop to ~100 range and keep CRUISING
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 16:45   #20
BHPian

Re: Conclusion

Neat installation. Congratulations. Hope fully I will muster up enough courage and energy to do something like this on my Nexon.

. Your last pic with you Standing in front of your car. Is this infront of SV university library Tirupati. my undergrad was from SV U engg college, so brings back some strong memories

Last edited by charanreddy : 10th September 2018 at 16:50.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 17:42   #21
BHPian

Well done @Wildy. You truly have an unique car now. The rarest of the rare. And with the other rare Fiat in your garage, you must be feeling quite special.
By the way, in retrospect, do you think the Linea stalk sourced from FASS can be used instead of importing it? Doesn't the Linea come with CC in the top variant?
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 18:27   #22
BHPian

Try, try, and keep trying until you succeed. Your never give up attitude amazes me.

Well done, and I hope you will put the CC to good use on your long drives discovering our Indian heritage.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 20:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Well done. I am glad it worked out for you in the end, though you did face several hurdles on the way. Kudos to your "never give up" attitude. As with anything, they will be several naysayers, who will summarily dismiss it as an useless feature. Don't let them dishearten you. I have extensively used Cruise Control on Indian Highways and the benefits far outweigh the efforts needed. Relaxed drive, better FE, less wear on the brakes are some of the benefits I have personally seen. No matter what people say, I am able to extract about 24 kmpl from the T-Jet on long highway runs, thanks to Cruise Control and it has already paid for itself several times over. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work. No one can take away the credit from you that yours is the first Abarth in India with a Cruise Control.
I totally agree with you, even I use the Cruise Control in my S-cross on daily basis. I work in Night shifts and while going home at 2 AM, I set my speed at 60 kms and enjoy the relaxed driving. Of course I really cannot use it continuously till I reach my home, but at least the first 5 to 7 km, where no traffic at all, I enjoy it. On Highways I use it extensively. As long as we know where to use it and when to use it, I am sure everyone would love this feature.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 21:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Mod's note Moved from Assembly Line to the D.I.Y section. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much Mag for moving it to the forum. Despite its Sunday, you did the noble job. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
One question, why would someone use cruise control with a rev hungry 1.4L turbo petrol under the hood
Thanks for the feedback. As, thepilot, PatchyBoy said already, it gives the opportunity for a relaxed driving, good mileage and less wear on brakes.

Other than that, honestly, iam not a speed monster. When I was in market for a petrol hatchback car, I wanted a car that also offers good safety and good driving dynamics and a joyful experience. For my budget, I see no other petrol car that meets my needs (And I still don't see any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Well done. I am glad it worked out for you in the end, though you did face several hurdles on the way. Kudos to your never give up attitude. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work. No one can take away the credit from you that yours is the first Abarth in India with a Cruise Control.
Thank You Rajan Sir for your kind words and wishes. As I said earlier, without your guidance, it wouldn't have happened. Really happy to become the first owner of Abarth in India with Cruise Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
You have explained the procedure in a nice manner which is easily understandable to people like me who are not so technically inclined. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same DIY on my Fiat Abarth Avventura in the coming month. I appreciate your DIY spirit in going ahead with these mods. First the Intercooler upgrade, Wolf remap and now Cruise Control. Rated the thread a well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks very much Harsha for your kind words and appreciation. All the very best for your DIY. Please feel free to call me or send a message in Whatsapp if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Great job! A quality DIY after a long time. You have taken a lot of efforts and so much of homework to get this thing going and it has definitely paid off. Does the set speed also show up on the MID Since yours is a dot matrix MID I suppose it should.
Thank You very much. No, it doesn't show speed on MID as it have different coding. We have to see the speedometer or GPS speed for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Is there an example of CC as DIY for 1.3 MJD I would love to do it for my 1.3 MJD emotion.
Thank You. I'm afraid it is not. Only Linea Multijet 1.3 that came after 2014 has the ECU that supports for Cruise Control. However, please check your ECU and post 2014 Linea ECU if it is the same or different. If it's same, most likely you can have Cruise Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
Really appreciate the never give up attitude!
Being part of the WA group, I totally understand the research and difficulty behind this and all the bottlenecks faced. Can't forget the enthusiasm within the whole group when you got the CC message ON in the MID!!
Thank You Sajan. Yes, it was really very hair raising experience. I still remember that night, when I was at the end of the experiment, there was a sudden power cut and I screamed with the result in the dark night with a picture in our whatsapp group. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Great work there Raaj. I especially like your 'never give up attitude', despite buying the wrong part. Your subtle visual mods, the remap and now cruise control! Take a bow. I will be calling you and troubling you over the details of this mod when I attempt it on my car.
Thank You Kanad for your kind words. Of course man, you know my number and you can call me anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am curious to know what BCM is being used in the Linea and why you went all the way to Italy for the combination switch. Could have been easily procured from FCA.
Thanks Sandeep. The BCM used in Indian Linea, Punto and Abarth are the same. The details of the BCM is, Fiat drawing number 51966727, Hardware Number BC323L.0100

Regarding Combination Switch with Cruise Control that I wanted, tell me how can FCA India provides me that, when they don't have one that matches for my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Generally cruise control SW have some conditions that it can't be activated below 'x' kmph and above 'y' kmph. You can check if Magneti Marelli have programed it in their BCM ECU.
Thanks very much. As for as I know, it can be activated from 30kms speed onwards, preferably in 4th gear. I usually activate it when I cross 70 kms speeds and on 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboaddict View Post
Can you please tell me what will be the total cost involved if i want to get CC in my Abarth punto
It depends on which stalk you choose. If it's Peugeot Stalk, it comes around Rs. 1000 in Aliexpress. If it's Alfa147, its very hard to get one. As most of the sellers don't deliver it to India, even if they do, customs won't accept it since its very old automobile part. But, if you know someone coming from UK and are willing to carry it, that's fine. Usually it would be around 50 to 100 pounds depends on the seller. You may search in Ebay UK.

And the other accessory stuff that you need for this instillation, you can browse the links that I gave in Post #3 of this thread. (DIY: Cruise Control installation on my Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heaven View Post
Fantastic job Wildy ! Happy to note that it ended successfully... It was a real suspense to read further when the initial procurement was of no use. Enjoy your hard work to the fullest. All the best!
I'm glad you liked reading this thread and thanks very much for your kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great job, well done. Very neatly installed too. Shows that with a bit of determination and some simple tools you can work on a modern car too.
Thank You very much for your appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
well done wildy, what if you lost some money in the process, you learnt so much from this DIY. Highly appreciate your spirit. Now everytime you gun past 130+ on highways, the CC lever will stare at you like a sad dog. Once you have noticed it, there is no way you will keep pumping the A-pedal, your conscience will force you to drop to ~100 range and keep CRUISING
Thanks very much Venky for your kind words and the support all through this project, especially If I remember correctly, you were the one who pointed me to use 330 ohms resister when I wanted to test port number 85 of ECU connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Neat installation. Congratulations. Hope fully I will muster up enough courage and energy to do something like this on my Nexon. Your last pic with you Standing in front of your car. Is this infront of SV university library Tirupati.
Thank you and all the best for your Nexon Project. Make sure your ECU is programmed for CC before doing anything. If it's already being offered on higher variants of that car, make sure the ECU, BCM are same in both variants.

Yes, that picture was in front of SV University library in Tirupati where I had my post graduation circa 1997/98. Last year, I've been there to recollect the old memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
You truly have an unique car now. The rarest of the rare. And with the other rare Fiat in your garage, you must be feeling quite special. By the way, in retrospect, do you think the Linea stalk sourced from FASS can be used instead of importing it Doesn't the Linea come with CC in the top variant
Thanks very much for your kind words. Yes, glad to own this very rare and endangered breed. As I mentioned in Post #3 of this thread, Linea stalk will definitely fits, but, since it's made for sedan, it wouldn't have Rear Wiper control on it. I would consider rear wiper is an essential thing and can't loose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Try, try, and keep trying until you succeed. Your never give up attitude amazes me. Well done, and I hope you will put the CC to good use on your long drives discovering our Indian heritage.
Thanks Kedar Sir for your nice words and wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
On Highways I use it extensively. As long as we know where to use it and when to use it, I am sure everyone would love this feature.

Well Said, thank you for sharing your feedback.

Last edited by Wildy : 10th September 2018 at 21:49.
Wildy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 03:13   #25
BHPian

Wow, that is an amazing DIY. Great to hear that you reached intended result even though you had to overcome obstacles. As you rightly said, these are all learnings for others.

We have a variety of DIYs now from car detailing, engine swaps. Great going.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 03:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
with Cruise Control that I wanted, tell me how can FCA India provides me that, when they don't have one that matches for my car?
The current on sale Linea has cruise control, which is why it puzzled me a bit why you went to Italy to procure the combination switch. The layout is identical to what is on the Abarth except for the presence of the Cruise stalk. Curious to know what the difference is between a Linea ECU and BCM to what is used on a Abarth.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 06:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Wow, that is an amazing DIY. Great to hear that you reached intended result even though you had to overcome obstacles. As you rightly said, these are all learnings for others. We have a variety of DIYs now from car detailing, engine swaps. Great going.

Thanks MaxTorque for your kind words and for the appreciation. Yes this project provided me a good learning which is the best part.

Quote:
The current on sale Linea has cruise control, which is why it puzzled me a bit why you went to Italy to procure the combination switch. The layout is identical to what is on the Abarth except for the presence of the Cruise stalk. Curious to know what the difference is between a Linea ECU and BCM to what is used on a Abarth.
Sandeep, it seems you missed post #3 of this thread where I had mentioned why I ruled out current Linea Combination switch with Cruise Control. That stalk was made for Sedan and doesn't have rear wiper control on it. To get one feature, I don't wanna loose another vital feature. Please see below quote for what I had written in Post #3. Regards.

Quote:
Linea Combination Switch with Cruise Control Stalk: This would be a direct fit as the mechanism and body computer is the same. But you still need to make the harness to ECU to support it. But, the big flaw is you would loose the rear wiper control as the Linea Combiswitch doesn't have it. So, ruled out.

Apart from that, what really pains me is, when FCA India able to offer CC feature in Linea, why not in Abarth besides it's the most premium car in their lineup? All they saved is a CC stalk and 8 meters wire.

Last edited by Wildy : 11th September 2018 at 06:50.
Wildy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 07:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T it seems you missed of this thread where I had mentioned why I ruled out current Linea Combination switch with Cruise Control. That stalk was made for Sedan and doesn't have rear wiper control on it. To get one feature, I don't wanna loose another vital feature.
My apologies.

I did read about losing rear wiper control. I had forgotten that was there on the Abarth.

I am still curious what ECU and BCM the Linea uses.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 07:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I am still curious what ECU and BCM the Linea uses.
Dear Sandeep, the FCA India is using same ECU and BCM both in Linea Tjet and in Abarth. As I mentioned in Post #2 of this thread, here is the information.

ECU:
Bosch ME7.9.10
Bosch Number: 0261S11343
Fiat Number: 55269849
Software Number: 555777

Body Computer aka BCM:

Fiat drawing number: 51966727
Hardware Number: BC323L.0100
Hardware Version: 03
Software Number: 04440004106
Software Version: F002

Regards
Wildy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:42   #30
BHPian

Take a bow and a standing ovation Raaj, your perseverance just doesn't stop to amaze me.

Your never back down attitude is amazing!

Its a pitty manufacturers still continue to resorting to punny cost cutting techniques while selling there products in India.
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks