Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 00:35   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's not the bulbs but the reflector that is for RHD and LHD. Bulbs don't matter at all.

It's just the design of this bulb that is causing the incorrect cut off on the right.
Sorry Vid, the cutoff is created by the shield in the bulb. The illumination pattern can be set by the reflector, but cutoff is simply the shade of the shield in the bulb that prevents the low beam from shining into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I feel the unadjusted pics might show a low beam that rises on the right instead of the left, but it would have a better aligned throw for the high beam.
calibrating the height and shape of cutoff is best done against a wall, but real life performance of both the low beam and high beam will have to be tested by OP. I would suggest he checks the beam pattern in both the original and adjusted positions for the LED lamps. The results might surprise everyone.

Last edited by Ravi Parwan : 7th November 2018 at 00:39.
Old 7th November 2018, 09:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
Sorry Vid, the cutoff is created by the shield in the bulb. The illumination pattern can be set by the reflector, but cutoff is simply the shade of the shield in the bulb that prevents the low beam from shining into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
The shield in the bulb for H4 is just to prevent the light from shining on the bottom half of the reflector. The bottom part of reflector is for high beam.

Yes the shield will have an impact on cut off for LED but there is no difference between LHD and RHD. They remain the same.

When you look at the reflector design in the headlight you can clearly see the way the line slants to create that cut off. The shield merely ensures that all light stays within the top half of reflector giving that cut off line.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
There was only one tiny screw and the whole unit seemed sealed - I did not want to mess with it. However I managed to put the Dust Caps in the normal manner back.

As can be seen from the side-by-side pictures, the left hand side is the stock Halogen Beam, the middle one is the current configuration after fine tuning and the right hand side is the earlier configuration prior to fine tuning. It looks like the pattern is now much more similar to the stock Halogens

I think one improvement that can be made is to raise the height for the left hand side (Passenger side) beam as it is lower compared to the right hand side - that would be my next step.
It's good that you got the dust covers to fit in the correct way. I would just like to mention that you can rotate the heat sink by hand, and it should come off after a few rotations. I just wanted to clarify this.

Regarding the beam pattern, it is better but you can try rotating the bulbs more to mimick the angle of the "wedges" from the horizontal plane. You should be able to get the beam pattern almost exactly like that of halogens.

Good luck.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 7th November 2018 at 10:02.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 12:50   #19
BHPian

I have been using LED's on both my fogs as well as headlamps.This are personally my views, i feel they are just brighter and serve no much aid to visibility. Maybe its just a perception that white light is more better.
I have done multiple trips of over 600 kms and have directly compared both and i feel the visibility and comfort with halogens is much higher then led's.

With Led's they just light up everything but i still struggle.They add to the bling, but with halogens i am more comfortable and my driving comfort increases.

I think Led's are fine for city use but on highways i prefer the phillips rally any-day for the immense usable light.
Also the HID's are good but reliability issue with multiple components of HID kits is not something that i would like to take a risk with while being in unknown territory with family, in 20 years i have never had a single halogen bulb go bad on me.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 17:27   #20
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this blog. I am seeing a lot of DIY blogs on LEDs. DIY, because they are relatively easy to install. For cars that have their headlight ON for 12-13 hours on long trips definitely need lights with lower operating temperature and less power consumption.
I am using AuxBeam NF-S1 series that's very helpful for a car like Duster which has Dust caps.
H1, H7 and H11 fogs , all have been upgraded to LEDs now.

Sharing a picture of the lighthouse that's always a charm to drive on the Highways.
DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-psx_20181018_042209.jpg
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 22:02   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Good to hear your feedback on the BeamTechs!
Thanks, but that wasn't me. Anyways, I want to know if you had thought of using the headlamp cluster from the Alpha with the projectors and DRLs.

Others can shed some light on the topic and tell if the Alpha variant's projector setup is a simple plug-n-play or requires a considerable amount of splicing.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
I also had similar doubt while upgrading my Punto's headlight to Beamtech H4 LED. But didn't find any issues at night during rainy days.
I am yet to test it out in rains but its good to hear your positive feedback on the Beamtechs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
AFAIK, the rubber is resistant to the heat of the halogen bulb, which can scald your fingers when hot. Should not be an issue with the LED driver.
Wow! It is indeed reassuring to hear that the rubber can withstand the heat of the driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Thanks, but that wasn't me. Anyways, I want to know if you had thought of using the headlamp cluster from the Alpha with the projectors and DRLs.
Sorry, I believe I mixed up the posts when i used the multi-quote feature. I did not consider the option of using the headlamp cluster from the Alpha variant mainly due to the higher cost. While I have not checked, I assume the LED Projectors on the Alpha variant of the Ignis would cost upwards of 20K excluding DRLs. If there are BHPians who have checked then they can share more accurate prices for the Ignis Alpha Projector Headlamps.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 23:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I just saw that BulbFacts.com folks have just released a new review video today. Here is the video...

They have called out a new Budget option called TechMax. If people are planning to source the Beamtechs from Amazon USA then do consider the TechMax Bulbs as well: TechMax

While I have no first hand experience with these bulbs, I have found the Bulbfacts guys to be quite trustworthy with their independent LED Bulb reviews

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th November 2018 at 23:04.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:17   #24
BHPian

I have been using LED in head light for 4 yrs now and experimenting with different bulbs (LED).
I had the same lights ordered from AliExpress, used then for 11/2 years before recently upgrading to better bulbs.
My few observations are that 6000k or 6500 k 3 CSP or even 4 CSP LED are useless in rains and wet conditions. Visibility with strong incoming had lights is poor compared to 100/90.
They feel excellent when it's s completely dark but so will normal 100/90.

Any upgrade without dust caps is strict no.
The best beam pattern in h4 is by csp chips as they mimic the filament shape best.
My present lights in S cross and Ertiga have 5 CSP for low beam and Cree xhp50 chip for main beam.

My high beams are too powerful and have big spread and I rarely use them. They are used only for forcing incoming traffic to dip. While low beams have excellent cutoff.
As with most LED bulbs, there's a issue with high and low beam levels. I keep low beam down in city and increase the level on highways to parallel. It allows me to drive confidently on low beam and avoiding high beam for regular use.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2018 at 20:41. Reason: typo
Old 16th November 2019, 15:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Headlight Swap from BeamTech to TechMax LEDs

I sold the BeamTech LEDs several months back and moved to TechMax LEDs in Feb 2019 - based on the review comments and ratings from www.bulbfacts.com. These are based on CREE Chips rated at 30 Watts each. Color Temperature is rated at 6500K.

The Bulbs were sourced from Amazon.com USA: URL

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20190227_202026.jpg
TechMax - Box Packing

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20190227_202049.jpg
Bulbs in the Box

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20190227_202103.jpg
View of the H4 LED Bulb

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20190227_202132.jpg
Techmax H4 LED - Close Up

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20190227_212713.jpg
TechMax H4 LED - Alignment Check

Results/Comparison:

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-beamtechled_vs_techmax_ignis_s.png
BeamTech Vs TechMax LED Comparison (Click on Image to Enlarge)

First Row in the Image compares the Low Beams from Left to Right / Second Row in the Image compares High Beams from Left to Right.

Definitely the quality of the newer LEDs when used from within reflector housing is improving over time

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 16th November 2019 at 15:15.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Few More Recent Shots showcasing the power of the TechMax H4 Bulbs:

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20191116_212706.jpg
Baseline - No Light

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20191116_212710.jpg
Low Beam

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-img_20191116_212716.jpg
High Beam

These are rated at #3 on the www.bulbfacts.com website behind the Nineo Gen II and the Cougar Motor.

DIY: LED Headlights Upgrade (Maruti Ignis)-techmax_bulbfacts.png
TechMax Bulb - Rated as Best Value
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 10:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few More Recent Shots showcasing the power of the TechMax H4 Bulbs:
Ah there is an evident improvement in illumination as well as beam pattern. I'm sure this is going to enhance your night driving experience quite a bit. A good swap I must say.

The Cree chips are certainly doing a better job than your previous bulbs. Most importantly - the position of the chips in the bulb seem to be better suiting the reflectors of the Ignis compared to your previous LEDs. The light is much sharper & concentrated where it should be.

I have always felt that your previous change primarily changed the colour from yellow to white rather than bringing a significant improvement in overall lighting. This change now I'll say completes a proper upgrade.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 20:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A good swap I must say.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The Cree chips are certainly doing a better job than your previous bulbs.This change now I'll say completes a proper upgrade.
The enthusiast in me has not settled down. I am trying to source the Nineo Gen II as well. Check the review here: URL

Quote:
We were so surprised, we double, triple, quadruple checked the results. They perform exceptionally well in reflector style headlights!

When it comes to peak brightness, the Nineo II LED Kit is our top-rated #1 LED kit for Reflector Headlights, even beating out most the premium brands at nearly 200% more light, which is 3X the peak brightness. In terms of the lux rating, it’s right in-line with the much more expensive Philips Xtreme Ultinon LED Kit for the low beams (4820lx vs 4830lx). If your installing into high-beams, it’s brighter than ALL the premium kits we have tested. 6490 peak lux vs 3550 for standard halogen. Getting a higher rating in high-beam headlights seems to be more of a challenge, but these bulbs achieve 83% more light.
Given that I am getting these bulbs directly from US and these being not available locally is enabling me to get a good resale value when I do sell the bulbs. But I wish these bulbs were available at lower rates locally as well. Somehow none of these seem to appear on AliExpress.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 23:55   #29
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I can see several options for ignis headlight upgrades sourced from US or outside India. But does anyone have any good suggestions that are available in india for ignis?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks