Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 20:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change

When you have a free day at home, and something pings you, with "tingg" sound really hard. Well, it was a coolant replacement day today for my little workhorse, the humble Hyundai Accent 1.6.

Quick Info
=======
Car: Hyundai Accent GLS 1.6 DOHC
Radiator fluid capacity: 5.3 liters.
Last coolant replacement: 2017
Tools required: Patience and some elbow grease.
Time taken for the procedure: 1 hour approx.
(Most of the time was attributed to the repeat flushing after cooling the engine, without which it would have been an half an hour job)

The last time I replaced the coolant was a year or so back. Though there wasn't any increase in temperature nor anything unduly, the one thing I noticed was the coolant in the reservoir turning to mild brown.

Opening the radiator cap did confirm my doubts, the coolant has lost all its electrolyte properties and was in the color of brownish muddy. I had four liters of Motul Inugel Expert Hybrid 4 liter can left with me, and there I went.

I wasn't able to click much pictures, but I will try to keep it as short as possible with the pictures I was able to click to let readers know that it's a very easy process to replace the coolant, provided I didn't use the jack.

==============================================
Step 1

Find where the radiator drain bolt/plug is located in your car. In my case, it was to the right of the radiator, underneath. Since, I replace my brake pads, struts, replace the engine oil, nitty-gritty all by myself, I am well adapted to this car's tight spaces.

The Hyundai Accent is one of the easiest cars to work with after the Honda City, in my personal experience. Almost everything is accessible very easily and the space for limb movement under the hood is pretty much easy, at least for the DIY procedures we're dealing with.

Nonetheless, it's an extremely easy going car to work with.

Note: Some car manuals don't provide the location of the coolant drain plug, apart from the usual engine oil drain bolt. If you don't, nothing to worry, there "will" be a drain bolt along the lower rail underneath of your radiator. Takes a little patience to find it out, especially in fancy cars today. But, you will.

Step 2.

Make sure the engine is mildly warm. Actually, it's better to replace the coolant when it's cold. I make sure the engine's a little warm. Warm water acts as a scrubber and the drain force makes sure all the crud comes out of the radiator easily. Nevertheless, exercise "extreme" caution when touching surfaces that are prone to getting hot easily. You can get scalded and skin worse get burnt in a fraction of second and regret it for the coming weeks to months. 100% discretion advised.

Step 3.

Getting underneath the car. Most would use jacks to lift up the car and then find the drain plug and then loosen, which is the right way to do it, if you're doing it for the first time. In my case, all I needed was an old sack, and peeped in under and removed the plug, all in less than 20 seconds. So, use your judgement, tools, and what not to give you the maximum comfort.

Step 4.

Pictures!

Tools required:

In my case, all it required was well, "nothing". I was able to undo the drain bolt with my hand, albeit with a little struggle as that little thing was super tight in there. I did intend to use the pliers, but didn't want to break the drain plug ears, because you never know. Slid underneath the car and it was a few seconds job.

I had a 10 mm T handy to remove the reservoir bolts and a toothbrush to clean the internals of the reservoir, and a siphon hose to remove the coolant from the reservoir before removing the reservoir itself.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-13.jpg

The Motul Inugel Expert - Ready to use Coolant. I prefer ready to use than I mixing them independently. Peace of mind.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-2.jpg

Up close. This is how the radiator drain plug on most cars look like.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-4.jpg

Though radiator cap was in great shape, I could see mild deposition underneath it. Gave it a good clean. Note: You see the pressure reading on the cap. Make sure it's the right cap of the right pressure, very, very, very important.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-6.jpg

All the pawn there is to it.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-3.jpg

Siphoning out the coolant out from the reservoir. I must tell you, the shape of the coolant was in pretty bad shape once I saw the coolant draining out of the hose. The color was almost reddish, and was horrendous indeed. I had to clean the reservoir alone for more than 10 minutes to make it look clean on the inside. So much deposition.

Notice, the clean water coming out of the siphon. This was after the installation of the reservoir and made sure I flushed it every ounce of crud once again, and a job well done!
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-8.jpg

Along with this, the radiator was flushed four times, all with a fully warmed up engine. Upon the fourth exit, the water was crystal clean. All three tries did yield significant coloration of the water coming out, that is, brown as I mentioned above. Made sure this part of the process is as clean to my satisfaction. 100% DISCRETION ADVISED ON HOT PARTS

The final few steps are pretty much easy. But, what one needs to take into consideration is make sure you press the tubes all along, both the inlet and water pump hoses several times when purging the water out and when installing fresh coolant. Most miss this.

Pressing the tubes gently allows the air that's inside the system to slowly bleed out and come up as bubbles near the radiator filler neck.

Me pressing the tubes, did made sure a few big bubbles coming out, and simultaneously adding coolant in small quantities till I made sure there is no more overflow or bubbles. Well, there wasn't any.

Note: Make sure you squeeze them mildly and gently, and don't press them hard, else your coolant will flow out. Squeezing them softly is the key.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-10.jpg

Bubbles coming out after fully topped up radiator and system bled well. Installed the radiator cap.
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-12.jpg

After everything's done!
DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change-1.jpg

Observations
========

After the entire procedure was carried out, well. I let the car idle for exactly 10 mins to make sure it reached its optimum temperature, and here's where I found something -- different. Usually, within 10 mins, upon normal operation, the temp gauge would exactly stand in between the markings in the gauge. In my years of owning the car, I haven't seen the needle budge even a mm above the mark where it's supposed to be, irrespective of the temperature under the hood.

After the coolant change, the needle is slightly lower than the desired mark itself, which I found strange and satisfying. To rule out any leakage, I took the car for a short spin, still I can see the gauge almost touching the required mark on the gauge, albeit slightly down, but not exactly where it's supposed to be.

So, a job well done!

Conclusion
========
The replacement of coolant in a car is far simpler than that of a motorcycle, at least personally, since I know the pain process behind bleeding and replacing coolant in a motorcycle.

The car requires 5 liters of coolant, where the radiator gobbled up full and exact four liters and the rest I had in a separate pack was used to top up the coolant reservoir.

In the end, it was a day well spent, learnt a few hacks and techniques and I guess that's all there is to it.

Appreciate readers for their patience.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
one thing I noticed was the coolant in the reservoir turning to mild brown.

Opening the radiator cap did confirm my doubts, the coolant has lost all its electrolyte properties and was in the color of brownish muddy.
Are you sure it's not the engine oil mix-up?
Old 1st March 2019, 22:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Are you sure it's not the engine oil mix-up?
Nopes! Absolutely not. In fact, I checked for everything from coolant leak, to oil leak, to blown gasket, nothing, all stock all good, still at 90k. Oil mixed up would be gummy and pasted up for so long. The color is synonymous with when the coolant has lost up the dye and has broken down due to heat.

I will be replacing the oil in the coming months, as it's over due. The oil is in good shape.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

See, coolant replacement schedules are like three years or 30k km - or even more for some cars. Having coolant lose its properties in under two years is rare. Did you pour tap water into the coolant tank sometime?

Make 100% sure that the discolouration to brown is not an oil mixed with coolant type situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Nopes! Absolutely not. In fact, I checked for everything from coolant leak, to oil leak, to blown gasket, nothing, all stock all good, still at 90k. Oil mixed up would be gummy and pasted up for so long. The color is synonymous with when the coolant has lost up the dye and has broken down due to heat.

I will be replacing the oil in the coming months, as it's over due. The oil is in good shape.

Cheers!
VJ
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
See, coolant replacement schedules are like three years or 30k km - or even more for some cars. Having coolant lose its properties in under two years is rare. Did you pour tap water into the coolant tank sometime?

Make 100% sure that the discolouration to brown is not an oil mixed with coolant type situation.
Hey hserus. Indeed, and as answered to the prior Bhpian's query, there wasn't any coolant mix up with oil and that sort. Coolant mixing up with oil is very much self explanatory along with the characteristic of the oil itself. None such differences were observed.

One thing I'd like to point out is that, many here have the notion that a coolant will last three years irrespective of brand, the base and what not. Wrong! A coolant just as any other liquid can get used up depending on the usage. Modern day premixed coolant have very little dye in them, it's almost they are not present at all. So, when they get used up, all that remains are dirty water and it's time to replace the coolant.

We've been using the green dyed coolant for years, wherein very few understand how to mix it in their proper proportions. Green dyed coolants though they look green even after years, they cause deposition inside the aluminum passageways and do the opposite of what they intend to do, once the electrolyte balance is used up. Distilled water is what's always been used till now, unless it's a premix.

Today's coolants can and will last a few years, but on the hindsight, it's better to keep track of them on a yearly basis, in my case two years.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 2nd March 2019 at 13:22.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 16:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

In the picture with the reservoir being siphoned ? Is the fluid being dumped into the floor ? There does seem to be a hologram film/oil slick to it
Old 2nd March 2019, 21:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
In the picture with the reservoir being siphoned ? Is the fluid being dumped into the floor ? There does seem to be a hologram film/oil slick to it
That's plain clean water being siphoned out one last time after the reservoir installation, after the reservoir was removed then scrubbed inside clean. The hologram film slick on the portico is nothing but stagnant water and gives that an impression of oil film.

The old fluid was siphoned out the same way, then the reservoir removed, cleaned then installed back. The water you see is the one being siphoned out from the reservoir that is clean.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:10   #8
BHPian

Re: DIY: Radiator Flush & Coolant Change

Nice Job. This made me remember the coolant change done by me in my car. For me a bad thing happened as while taking out the radiator drain plug it broke and I had to use a jugaad kind of thing to stop the coolant from leaking and then went to the spare parts store and bought a new one.
sdg4wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 22:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4wheels View Post
Nice Job. This made me remember the coolant change done by me in my car. For me a bad thing happened as while taking out the radiator drain plug it broke and I had to use a jugaad kind of thing to stop the coolant from leaking and then went to the spare parts store and bought a new one.
Hi, sdg4, that's precisely the reason, I took it easy on the drain bolt. Didn't use pliers, gave it the all-muscle treatment, slowly, and then she gave up. Because the plastic drain cock hardens over time and gripping them with pliers, and if it slips, then we're in trouble.

Thanks for your comment.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th March 2019, 13:11   #10
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, this is a good piece of information, was not aware of the need to change the liquid in 2 yrs.
Also for the old baleno at home noticed there is a bit of corrosion at the joint where the hose meets the other end of the radiator some white powder like. The hose also seems bit hard , is there a need to replace it, the car is 14 yrs old.
majumon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 15:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is a good piece of information, was not aware of the need to change the liquid in 2 yrs.
Also for the old baleno at home noticed there is a bit of corrosion at the joint where the hose meets the other end of the radiator some white powder like. The hose also seems bit hard , is there a need to replace it, the car is 14 yrs old.
Calcifiations of the coolant over time. That white powdery stuff that you see at the end of the tubes. A hard tube is easy to crack and can in fact crack giving the wrong set of circumstances. If you haven't replaced your coolant in a while, it's time to replace the coolant along with the coolant passage tubes. After all, cooling system is the one that's least taken care of.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 6th March 2019, 03:00   #12
BHPian

I did this for my Accord last year. It helps to keep the front of the car a little elevated (park on a slope) in getting the bubbles out.
Old 10th November 2020, 08:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I got the radiator cleaned on my Swift 2005 recently which was clogged badly.

Since it was done at dedicated radiator repair shop, they just cleaned the radiator and didn't flush the system completely because of which there is a litre of old coolant still in the system. The old green coolant is what is visible even now although the new coolant was a different color.
The system I know holds 4 litres and I filled 1 litre of coolant and 2 litres of water after the radiator was removed and cleaned. I am planning to do the flush to remove the coolant and fill fresh pre-mixed coolant from MGP.

I have a radiator flush liquid with me and needed to know if I need to flush with just boiled water or do I need to mix the radiator flush in case there is a gunk in the engine block that needs to be removed?
Old 10th November 2020, 09:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have a radiator flush liquid with me and needed to know if I need to flush with just boiled water or do I need to mix the radiator flush in case there is a gunk in the engine block that needs to be removed?
As you had dirt issues and also changed coolant brand flush the car with distilled water not tap water five or six times of which the first time uses radiator flush mixed in.

See that no trace of the old coolant comes out by the time you do your last flush then insert the drain plug and refill the fresh coolant.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 09:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
As you had dirt issues and also changed coolant brand flush the car with distilled water not tap water five or six times of which the first time uses radiator flush mixed in.

See that no trace of the old coolant comes out by the time you do your last flush then insert the drain plug and refill the fresh coolant.
Thanks,

When doing the flush cycles, the drain plug needs to be in place with the engine running for few minutes and then drain and repeat the cycle, if am correct?

Most Viewed