Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 03:07   #1
BHPian

70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations

Back in 2013, we bought a Hyundai Grand i10 (1.2 Petrol, Manual) for our family. The first bit of enhancement performed on the car was wrapping B and C pillars in black vinyl sheets. More details on the DIY can be found here: DIY - Black B & C pillars (DIY - Blackening the B & C Pillars). I am fairly surprised and pleased that the stickers have held up pretty well.

About the car:
The car was from the first batch and we have faced niggles as often is the case with the new cars. Engine check light came on with barely a few 100 kilometers on the clock. The error code showed that the cylinders were misfiring. The dealership could not figure out the problem initially and we faced this issue a few more times. After a lot of frustration, Hyundai provided a software update to fix the issue. Since then, the car has been working without problems.

The version we bought was Magna and it did not come with a stereo from the factory. I did not want an aftermarket headunit as they rarely go well with the car interiors and stick out like a sore thumb. I looked on the internet and found a headunit from Grand i10 Asta on Olx. I bought it and got it installed on our car. It preserves the clean look and doesn’t look out of place. It does the job just fine.

Buying a dashcam:
There was a minor crash with an auto rickshaw which resulted in a broken bumper and dented driver side fender. This made me look for a dashcam for the car. I scoured the internet including Team-bhp to find a good dual channel dashcams within my budget.

I read that dashcams from Viofo are a good choice and they also record the rear view with an optional rear camera unit, but I found those to be quite expensive for my liking. I stumbled upon a few other dashcam that masquerade as rearview mirrors. A few of those also had option reversing cameras which also record video and most of them were relatively affordable.
There were a lot of products from lesser known manufacturers. I liked two such mirror dashcams from Yi and 70mai.

Shortlisted dashcams
Yi mirror dashcam
This mirror dashcam has a touch screen.
Link to buy: Aliexpress - Yi mirror dashcam

70mai mirror dashcam:
This does not have touch screen. (Although the latest version of this mirror dashcam has a wider touch screen display)
Link to buy: Aliexpress - 70mai dashcam

Both these cameras have a small capacity battery which allow them to shutdown gracefully in case of a disruption is power supply. However, it isn’t enough to power it for a long duration. No parking mode recording on battery power.

Our car is rarely parked in the sun and I am not sure how heat would affect these batteries. Batteries might explode when exposed to severe heat for extended periods of time. Be vary of this factor if you are choose such dashcams.

After comparing these two, I decided to buy the Yi dashcam but unfortunately it was out of stock at that moment. Therefore I had to order the 70mai dashcam with the optional rear view camera.

Note:
I bought this product in October from Aliexpress, long before the current Corona situation. It was shipped to me from a warehouse in Poland to Germany (where I live).

Installation
Box and its contents:
Mirror dashcam and rear camera module
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-boxes.jpg

Box contents:
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-open_box.jpg

Ports
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-ports.jpg

Installed on the existing mirror:
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-installed1.jpg
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-installed3.jpg
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-interior1.jpg

After installing the mirror, hide the power supply cable under the roof liner using the supplied pry tool.
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-pry_tool.jpg70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-roof.jpg

To install the rear camera module, plug the cable into the mirror and run the cable towards the back of the car.
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-img_20200201_105438.jpg

Connect the rear camera module to the reversing light. This powers the camera when reverse gear is engaged.
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-tail_lamp.jpg

70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-taillamp2.jpg

The reverse camera is mounted above the license plate. I found this spot to be ideal to provide a great rear view while reversing. The camera is waterproof and it is safe to place it here.

70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-reverse_camera.jpg

The cable are concealed under the roof liner and trim pieces.

70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-wires.jpg

Final check:
Front view:
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-display.jpg

Rear view:
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-reverse.jpg

Recorded videos:
Front camera:

Rear camera:

My observations:
  • Having buttons instead of touchscreen seems to be the better here. Does not leave fingerprints on the mirror.
  • Video from the rear camera is of a relatively low quality. Although it is just enough for use as a reversing camera, the videos recorded from the rear camera don’t show the license plate clearly from a distance.
  • Take time and adjust the reversing camera angle such that the guide lines for the reversing camera represent the actual distance. You don’t have to guess the distance while reversing and can simply trust the camera. Placing the reversing camera low helps achieve this.

Last edited by puneeth2 : 11th May 2020 at 03:20.
puneeth2 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
fter comparing these two, I decided to buy the Yi dashcam but unfortunately it was out of stock at that moment. Therefore I had to order the 70mai dashcam with the optional rear view camera.
Nifty DIY there Puneeth. I have only one question - How heavy is the unit attached to the IRVM and does it work as good as the OE mirror for seeing things behind? I'm asking this because my uncle has a similar display unit (minus the front camera) in his Honda City. Over time it sags and points downwards and its terrible as an IRVM.

Front camera quality is good and the rear as you mentioned not the best, but should be enough at times. Most probably a vehicle behind you will go ahead of you and get captured in your front car, or vice versa.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Nifty DIY there Puneeth. I have only one question - How heavy is the unit attached to the IRVM and does it work as good as the OE mirror for seeing things behind? I'm asking this because my uncle has a similar display unit (minus the front camera) in his Honda City. Over time it sags and points downwards and its terrible as an IRVM.
It is fairly light and I drove the car around for 2 weeks and it hasn't changed its position. I think sagging due to weight might not be an issue. However, it might also depend on how stiff the existing mirror's movement at the ball joint is.

It obviously adds a bit of thickness to the existing mirror, but one can get used to it.

I didn't expect it to be as reflective as a regular mirror given that it has a display undernearth. However, it is just as good as the OEM mirror if not better. When the display is off, it is properly functional as a rear view mirror.
puneeth2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Hi,
Quick question, does this have a auto-dimming function?
The manual function provided on the original IRVM will not function any more so this again may be a negative.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Hi,
The manual function provided on the original IRVM will not function any more so this again may be a negative.
I have used similar type IRVM with dashcam but hardly kept it for a week or two. They have no auto-dimming function and are highly reflective of the headlights that appear from behind giving you a possible headache at night especially on the highways. I used to get teary eyed and my headaches start within 10 mins of driving on highways. But in day time it did a decent job.
abbyanish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyanish View Post
I have used similar type IRVM with dashcam but hardly kept it for a week or two. They have no auto-dimming function and are highly reflective of the headlights that appear from behind giving you a possible headache at night especially on the highways.
Yes, it doesn't have auto-dimming. The original mirror has manual dimming feature. But it is hard for the manufacturers to integrate such manual feature to these mirror dashcams since they sit over the existing mirrors.

Another method would be to have auto-dimming in the mirror dashcam itself. I could not find such a device in the market that has such a feature. Until then, it's a compromise.

I'm willing to ignore that since it adds a few useful safety features to the car. With my limited night drive, I didn't find it a problem. However, users must be wary of the lack of auto-dimming before buying these devices.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read that dashcams from Viofo are a good choice and they also record the rear view with an optional rear camera unit, but I found those to be quite expensive for my liking. I stumbled upon a few other dashcam that masquerade as rearview mirrors. A few of those also had option reversing cameras which also record video and most of them were relatively affordable.
There were a lot of products from lesser known manufacturers. I liked two such mirror dashcams from Yi and 70mai.
I'm perplexed by the footage in your second video. How the vehicles plying opposite to you are passing to the left of the guy in that two wheeler trailing you

That being the rear camera, the vehicles coming from opposite direction should be seen passing on the left side of the footage. Here it's inverse ?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th May 2020 at 12:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I'm perplexed by the footage in your second video. How the vehicles plying opposite to you are passing to the left of the guy in that two wheeler trailing you

That being the rear camera, the vehicles coming from opposite direction should be seen passing on the left side of the footage. Here it's inverse ?
Yeah, the footage is flipped..

I noticed it after I exported it to my phone. It seems like that's how it records the video from the rear camera.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I noticed it after I exported it to my phone. It seems like that's how it records the video from the rear camera.
I would say it's a flaw. You may want to check with the manufacturer just to ensure you haven't got a defective piece unless stated clearly by them that it records in this fashion - that's a oddity though.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:22   #10
BHPian

Great write up on this DIY project, I myself considered the same mirror type Dashcam for my TUV 300, but went ahead with 70 mai dashcam, as I wanted to get an auto-dimming RVM and I already had a reverse camera installed to my HU previously.

My dashcam does not have a screen, but connects wirelessly to the 70 mai app and can watch videos and take pictures from app directly.
Attached Thumbnails
70mai Rearview Mirror Dashcam - Installation and observations-img_20200220_101818.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I would say it's a flaw. You may want to check with the manufacturer just to ensure you haven't got a defective piece unless stated clearly by them that it records in this fashion - that's a oddity though.
I think it's in the software. The reversing view looks fine in the display. Only the recorded video from the rear camera seems to be flipped.

If there's no setting in the device to flip the video, it could be done manually when needed.

Videos recorded by both the cameras are in 1 min long chunks, so it shouldn't be very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post

My dashcam does not have a screen, but connects wirelessly to the 70 mai app and can watch videos and take pictures from app directly.
I came across this one as well. They also offer a small dashcam with a display. I didn't choose it because only the mirror dashcam has reversing camera feature.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th May 2020 at 22:06. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This is because you have an integrated rear view camera. All the rear view cameras feed a flipped image to the screen for driver. Maybe a software patch by the manufacturer should have fixed this.

I too was scouting for a Dashcam with same setup as yours for my new car in the booking to delivery period. I came across all the dashcams mentioned above but I am really concerned about the batteries heating up due to open parking.

Still have not finalized for one since six months of the purchase of the car and already had a funny occurence:

A three wheeler cargo carrier was slowing to dead stop for small speed breakers in front of me and scooty was about to rear end me on the first bump. I was watching him in the IRVM, he avoided; rather flew all over but crashed over my car's corner on the second bump.

Later he came to me and showed damages to his new scooty. I calmly asked if he could have ridden a little slowly at a distance and what damages he had caused to me. He replied nothing's happened to my car and he is at loss. I quickly assessed my rear bumper and found just a couple of displaced joints from the clips. They were put back with a little jolt by my fist.

Interestingly the scooty rider was still holding up for me and asked for compensation of his damages!
I sternly replied that I didn't bump into the three wheeler (which he was already falsifying that it wasnt there) in front of me and that he shouldn't have into my car. The fault is purely on his side.

Now its high time I install one; maybe same as yours.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:39   #13
BHPian

I don't think you are using the rear camera as intended. Dual camera dash cams are intended to record both the front view and back view of the car in case somebody rams you from behind. It isn't intended to be used as a reverse gear camera unless you specifically opted for it.

They are both meant to record simultaneously.
zzzehar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:53   #14
BHPian

Last year I purchased similar product from Aliexpress -- E-ACE Full HD 1080P Car Dvr Camera Auto 4.3 Inch Rearview Mirror Digital Video Recorder

I purchased only the front cam which sits on the rear view mirror. The power source was from the cigarette lighter socket.

Everytime after starting the car, I used to plug it in and disconnect once I park my car.

The main unit stopped working during a long drive on a hot sunny day. (Had my AC on but still). The final video was 30 seconds long but the playback was stuck with 5 seconds (looping)
Not sure if the unit failed because of high temperature.

Tried to reset the unit via the small pin hole.. But no use.
Old 12th May 2020, 19:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
This is because you have an integrated rear view camera. All the rear view cameras feed a flipped image to the screen for driver. Maybe a software patch by the manufacturer should have fixed this.
Yes, software patch can fix it. Until then, I can just flip the video when I want it. It is the rear one, so it's no big deal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
I don't think you are using the rear camera as intended. Dual camera dash cams are intended to record both the front view and back view of the car in case somebody rams you from behind. It isn't intended to be used as a reverse gear camera unless you specifically opted for it.

They are both meant to record simultaneously.
Front and rear both record simultaneously and store the footage in separate folders.

This unit is intended to work and a reversing camera as well.

Reversing mode is activated one when reverse gear is engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nax04 View Post
Last year I purchased similar product from Aliexpress -- E-ACE Full HD 1080P Car Dvr Camera Auto 4.3 Inch Rearview Mirror Digital Video Recorder

I purchased only the front cam which sits on the rear view mirror. The power source was from the cigarette lighter socket.

Everytime after starting the car, I used to plug it in and disconnect once I park my car.

The main unit stopped working during a long drive on a hot sunny day. (Had my AC on but still). The final video was 30 seconds long but the playback was stuck with 5 seconds (looping)
Not sure if the unit failed because of high temperature.

Tried to reset the unit via the small pin hole.. But no use.
I saw that product. Somehow I didn't feel that it would be good enough. That's why I went ahead with 70mai. I read a few reviews, I found it that 70mai and Yi produced good mirror dashcams.

70mai is a part of Mi and has some good products.

Maybe for your usecase, a regular dashcam would be suitable. Those are durable as well.

Most Viewed