Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:17   #1
BHPian

DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago

Short Introduction

During lockdown days, I was contemplating, among other things, which features I missed buying a Tiago XZA+ instead of an Altroz XT. I was not considering the obvious segment differences, but other small things that are visual/practical which create great value additions. Here's a list that I came up with:
  1. DRLs
  2. Mood Lighting (aka Footwell Lights)
  3. Dual Horn
  4. Boot Unlock with Remote Key

I searched the forums if any of the above was possible without significant investment of time and money. Stumbled upon a4anurag's thread on Footwell light install in his Swift. Ended up doing it as a DIY and the end result gave so much satisfaction considering that all it took was couple of hundred rupees and few hours.

Tools and Materials Used

Tools
  1. Soldering Kit
  2. Small Flat tip Screw driver
  3. Scissors

Materials
  1. Generic LED Light Strip(1m)
  2. Wires (Red and Black- 4m each)
  3. Connector Blocks
  4. Insulation Tape
  5. 3M Double Sided Tape

Plan

The footwell lights would be installed in such a way that it works along with the cabin light's door ajar/lock-unlock feature. If the vehicle is unlocked or a door is open, cabin light's would turn on. The cabin light also has the theatre dimming effect. These two functions would be carried over to the footwell lights. The idea was this:
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-picsart_082307.34.11__01.jpg

Procedure

Step 1: Removing the Cabin Light

The cabin light was removed by prying it open with a screwdriver on the two slots shown below. Using plastic tools can be a more safe bet but I was careful. Unplugging the 3-pin connector completely removed the light from it's holder. I had to unscrew the cabin light holder to access the roof liner. This was necessary to route the wires from cabin lights to the top of the B-pillar and, in turn, to the A-pillar.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-cabin-light.jpg

The other side of the Cabin Light module. The picture is self explanatory on the purpose of the wires. In my particular case for the theatre dimming effect/door ajar fuction, the Red(+ve) wire need to be connected to the Door/Green terminal and Black(-ve) wire to the -ve terminal.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200806_120029__01.jpg

Step 2: Soldering wires to Cabin Light
Connected about 6 inches of wire to the block connector and soldered the other end to the Cabin light as explained in previous step.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200808_172943__01.jpg

DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-cabin-tucked-wire.jpg

Step 3: Routing wires to Footwell
The cabin light holder was removed and wires routed through the roof liner in between insulation material. You cannot go diagonally, first route the wire to top of B-Pillar and then to the A- Pillar. Remove RH front and rear door beadings for easy access.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200823_120851.jpg

Remove the A-Pillar panel by gently pulling on it. Put pressure on each clip at a time to remove the panel. These clips won't break but might dislodge. They are easily reattachable.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-pillar-panel.jpg

Fix the wires on the A-Pillar using insulation tape.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-wire-taped-.jpg

Put the wire through the space where the existing wires pass through to the footwell area.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-wire-under-apillar-panel.jpg

I again used a connector here so that I can swap the LED light strips later if required. Connected the driver side light strip to the wires that came from top.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-light-taped-driver.jpeg

Step 4: Soldering LED light strips to wires
I had cut the light strip for my required length before starting the procedure. There are markings on the strip where you can cut through with your scissors.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-light__01.jpg

Light strips in the Driver side and passenger side had to be connected and needed to be soldered. The light strips I had bought had transparent rubber sheath on top. It was peeled and required portion cut off. Soldered Red(+ve) to the +ve terminal denoted and Black(-ve) to the -ve terminal. Carried out same on the other strip on the passenger side.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200808_170232.jpg

Step 5: Connecting Driver side light to Passenger side
Connections between driver side light and passenger side were hidden using the center console panels on both sides.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200823_121535__01.jpg

DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-driver-footwell-panel.jpg

There is only a tiny space between the two footwell and routing wire through that was tedious. But because of the lack of space and availability of plastic panels, it was easy to tuck away the extra wiring out of sight.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-passenger-area-wire-came__01.jpg

DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-passenger-side-wire-through__01.jpg

Step 6: Fixing LED light strips
The generic light strips came with adhesive but was not sticking to the plastic dashboard panel. Used 3M double side tape I had in stock with me to get the job done. They are good and considering the strips weighing very little, will hold on for a long time.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-light-taped.jpg

End Result

I bought all the items required from the neighborhood electrical shop. Specifically asked for white color LED and when the guy showed me the demo in bright sunlight, it seemed to be white. But after installing, it turned out to be blue. Even though blue was not my expectation, it gives a certain cool ambience when you get into the car

In Daylight:
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-day-light.jpg
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-driver-daylight.jpg
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-driver-side-close.jpg
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-passenger-daylight.jpg
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-passenger-side-close.jpg

At Night:
The blue tinge of the LEDs and light grey interior syncs so well. It looks even better in person.
DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200823_185527.jpg

DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago-img_20200823_185557.jpg

Cost
  1. Soldering Kit (Including Iron, Solder and Flux)- Rs.150
  2. LED Light Strip (Generic 5m)- Rs.200
  3. Wires-Rs.50
  4. Connectors- Rs.20
  5. Insulation Tape-Rs.10
Time taken - ~2hrs

This DIY was heavily inspired from a4anurag's DIY (D.I.Y. Install: LED Footwell Lighting). A big thanks to him for his help in the PMs.

Also need to give a special mention to Mod Gannu_1's thread on his DIY install (VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights) in his Polo which was the first DIY of this kind. That thread also gave me pointers with regard to soldering.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 23rd August 2020 at 19:53.
janakiram_m is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 05:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:55   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago

Rated 5 stars . Excellent DIY and much easy and safe solution instead of costly aftermarket solutions.

Already making a list of stuff I will try on my new car.
Right now we have finalised the Tigor XZ+ striking the Figo off the list.
PS:- I read your ownership review of Tiago. Looks sexy in that Red.
Cheers!

Last edited by chiefpk : 24th August 2020 at 12:24.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:14   #4
BHPian

Great work. DIY always gives invaluable experience and good satisfaction along with an urge to better it again and again.

Just one query - you could have used door button for electric supply and auto-dimming feature. Any reasons not to opt for it?
amk_2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:20   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
Just one query - you could have used door button for electric supply and auto-dimming feature. Any reasons not to opt for it?
I don't own a Tiago but AFAIK, the boot light won't have the theatre-dimming feature in it so no point in picking that as a 'source'.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:26   #6
BHPian

Cool, clean DIY. Thanks for sharing. Recommend you replace the strips with the below for a more OEM & durable build. I use these in my canopy and they're awesome. Very bright, even light. And inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.in/Super-2801-Cab.../dp/B01HRD03EU

Also take a look at this for some fun lighting:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0711B7JBP

I have this hardwired with a separate switch and plays to music. My 4yr old son loves them all the time. My friends love them after a party.
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:16   #7
BHPian

Simple and sweet diy. I would suggest to wrap the connectors with some sort of foam/foam tape and also the wires to prevent it from rattling in the long run.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice DIY. Rated it 5 stars. A very clean implementation with nice wire routing, soldering & proper wire connectors. This is something I have been contemplating on doing in the Nexon once in a while. Perhaps I'll do it some time too. I'll be adding the lights in the rear foot well too, since that's where the lighting is really low in the Nexon thanks to the stupid front placement of the single cabin light. Thanks for sharing. This sure will be a reference for me.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 15:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
Short Introduction

[*]Soldering Kit (Including Iron, Solder and Flux)- Rs.150[*]LED Light Strip (Generic 5m)- Rs.200[*]Wires-Rs.50[*]Connectors- Rs.20[*] Insulation Tape-Rs.10[/list]Time taken - ~2hrs

[/center][/i]
That's one of the very simple but a great DIY !! Its very neat and all the wires have been tugged in very cleanly. Thanks for sharing and I guess it can be done with any cars' cabin light circuit.

Cheers!
-DB
DBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 15:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Also take a look at this for some fun lighting:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0711B7JBP

I have this hardwired with a separate switch and plays to music. My 4yr old son loves them all the time. My friends love them after a party.
Cheapest and best fix for anyone wishing for ambient lights. End results are better than OEM because it is more bright. Music synchronization is another feature which I love.
I think I got it for some 250 Rs with 10 day return policy xD
My Hyundai has 2 cigarette ports, hence didn't even care hard wiring it. Plugged it in the rear. This thing already lasted an year. Never expected it to last for more than a month. Hahaha.

Last edited by ron82x3 : 24th August 2020 at 15:40.
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 15:45   #11
BHPian

That’s amazing.

Can someone help with telling how I can (in a simple way) have the following features

1) ON with DOOR AJAR as shown here.
2) ON with a separate switch maybe installed In a blank somewhere.
3) FULL OFF

Is it possible with a simple diy with a couple of switches or would I need a separate controller for these functionalities.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I don't own a Tiago but AFAIK, the boot light won't have the theatre-dimming feature in it so no point in picking that as a 'source'.
Thank you amk_2009. Door button only 'activates', sort of like a switch, the cabin light's theatre dimming feature, it cannot be used as a source as a4anurag pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Cool, clean DIY. Thanks for sharing. Recommend you replace the strips with the below for a more OEM & durable build.
Thank you Tassem. Just like you said, I don't expect them to be that durable. That is why I have provided seperate connectors for an easy swap later, if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Simple and sweet diy. I would suggest to wrap the connectors with some sort of foam/foam tape and also the wires to prevent it from rattling in the long run.
Thanks Blow Horn Ok , that's a good point. The 3m tape I used is foam type and I will use it to wrap them, though there are no rattles till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'll be adding the lights in the rear foot well too, since that's where the lighting is really low in the Nexon thanks to the stupid front placement of the single cabin light. Thanks for sharing. This sure will be a reference for me.
Thank you sir. Single light in a big cabin like the Nexon's is a real pain for sure. I did think about putting lights at the rear too but the throw of the LEDs reach the rear Footwell as well, although not so bright as in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
That’s amazing.
Can someone help with telling how I can (in a simple way) have the following features
1) ON with DOOR AJAR as shown here.
2) ON with a separate switch maybe installed In a blank somewhere.
3) FULL OFF
Thanks viXit. May be you can add a third wire connected to the +ve terminal in the cabin light and connect it via a switch to the circuit that's going to the Footwell lights. I don't think that would help in all the scenarios that you had mentioned. Experts please correct me if wrong.
janakiram_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post

Thanks viXit. May be you can add a third wire connected to the +ve terminal in the cabin light and connect it via a switch to the circuit that's going to the Footwell lights. I don't think that would help in all the scenarios that you had mentioned. Experts please correct me if wrong.
I thought it would be nice to have the lights on even when doors are closed.
There's no denying how cool the light look.
Most cars nowadays offer the lights to be controlled individually from the MID or the Head Unit.

and damn, really smart installing those terminals to easily change them. you have essentially placed two power sockets, one in each footwell. Imagine the possibilities.

Last edited by viXit : 24th August 2020 at 19:11.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I thought it would be nice to have the lights on even when doors are closed.
There's no denying how cool the light look.
Most cars nowadays offer the lights to be controlled individually from the MID or the Head Unit.
Just like you said most cars have it nowadays. Altroz has the 'Mood Lighting' feature where in addition to Footwell light, there is also a light band that runs through the middle crevice of the dashboard. It looks really cool. You can adjust it's brightness and turn it on/off as you please in the Infotainment system.

These are much more premium and I don't think any manufacturer, let alone Tata, would bring it to the budget segment anytime soon.

Keeping bright lights on in the cabin while driving is a safety hazard as well.

Quote:
and damn, really smart installing those terminals to easily change them. you have essentially placed two power sockets, one in each footwell. Imagine the possibilities.
Yep. DIYs planned:
1. Missing Boot Area Light
2. Puddle Lights, although wondering how to without cutting into door panels.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 24th August 2020 at 19:24.
janakiram_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I know I'm going off topic here - but instead of tapping for power into the car's electricals, is there some kit available, perhaps powered by a battery pack, by which the same footwell lighting can be achieved? This looks good definitely.

This is for those of us who are under finicky OEM warranties. I know what Mahindra service guys will say to me - "Oh my God! You have tapped into the electricals sir, tomorrow don't ask us if your alternator dies. No warranty coverage can be applied then".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks