Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:32   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair

Many Fiat linea cars are plagued with the issue of its MID LCD giving up somewhere in the vehicles life. The same issue occurred with my linea where in the LCD randomly conked off one evening. I called numerous meter repair guys in the city but all of them said that id need to get a new meter. The new meter on the other hand costs a whopping 17K which did not make sense the age of the car.
I happened to source an LCD unit from Kava Automobiles and below is the DIY on how i changed it.

The DIY applies to Linea and Punto cars with the same LCD/ MID issue

Tools required:
Set of scree drivers (Philips head and Torx)
Set of allen keys
needle nose pliers
trim removal tools

Difficulty: Moderate

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-1.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-2.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-3.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-4.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-5.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-6.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-7.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-8.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-9.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-10.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-11.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-12.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-13.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-14.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-15.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-16.jpg

Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair-17.jpg

Here is a video explaining the entire process along with the end results!
HimuraKenshin is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:08   #2
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair

Thank You. As a Punto owner I really appreciate the thread.

My uncle's 2009 Linea has the same issue, when he consulted a repairer he was given the option to either replace the entire cluster with new/used or replace LCD. He did not go through with either as none of the options were readily available and is running around without a working LCD.

Can I get a few more information on the LCD

1. Cost
2. Manufacturer or part number ( Some way to identify for purchasing )
3. Is it same for all versions of Punto/Linea
4. Is it shared with any other vehicle

Thank You in Advance
The Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great work !!!

Think about it - would you have ever gone this route if the console were available for, say, 3k?

Our head works best when pushed to the wall !!!
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Great job, thanks for sharing.
Small suggestion; when working on modern car electronics (or any electronics) it does make sense to always use a proper anti-static strap.

Of course, the environment you work in does make a difference. Cant tell from the video, but you seem to have some mat on your work surface. Is that a proper antistatic mat by any chance.

Especially in wintertime, where you might take your parts from outside to work on them in the comfort of your home, introduces the risk of ESD (Electrical Static Discharge) (dry air due to heating in home, walking on carpets etc).

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd November 2020 at 08:25. Reason: Formating post.
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:59   #5
BHPian

Kudos to the effort and this thread will surely be helpful to many Fiatians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
The new meter on the other hand costs a whopping 17K which did not make sense the age of the car.
The cost doesn't make sense even for a new car considering the quality of Fiat's electronics. Even if you spent 17k you wouldn't know when it would decide to give up. I've seen more Fiats with blank LCDs and faulty blue&me than ones in which they work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Great work !!!

Think about it - would you have ever gone this route if the console were available for, say, 3k?
This LCD is not the most crucial or expensive part in that assembly and is quite easy to replace, so why not go this way. The sad part is that this LCD alone (most probably salvaged from scrapped cars) would cost 3k and the new chinese replacement LCD alone costs almost the same as the complete console of some japanese cars of far better quality and functionality (~100USD).

Quote:
Our head works best when pushed to the wall !!!
Absolutely true. Once FASS suggested to replace the climate control's wiring loom, blower motor's resistor (variator) (Rs.2900) and also the blower motor assy. (Rs.5500) when the blower used to stop working intermittently in our Linea. This usually happened in hot days. They told it was a common issue and replacing these parts was the solution and that very rarely a faulty ACC control panel can also cause it. (Rs. 23k).

Since I wasn't satisfied with their explanation, I decided to run the car as it is and to fix it myself whenever I get time. Downloaded the Fiat's Service Manual CD and went through the wiring diagram (colour codes were abbreviated in German took quite a while to figure out). After taking apart half of the dashboard, I found out it was just a faulty connector and consequently overheating wire. This overheated wire altered the resistance value in the feedback circuit from blower and the ACC control panel kept turning off the power to the motor till the temperature (resistance) dropped.

Fixed it myself at no cost and since everything was removed, I was able to clean the blower thoroughly and it was far more effective than the spray through vent cleaners.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 2nd November 2020 at 23:01.
--gKrish-- is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea & Punto DIY: Speedometer Cluster LCD Repair

Quote:
Many Fiat linea cars are plagued with the issue of its MID LCD giving up somewhere in the vehicles life. The same issue occurred with my linea where in the LCD randomly conked off one evening. I called numerous meter repair guys in the city but all of them said that id need to get a new meter. The new meter on the other hand costs a whopping 17K which did not make sense the age of the car.

I happened to source an LCD unit from Kava Automobiles and below is the DIY on how i changed it.
Thanks for sharing this DIY. I know many who have faced this issue are are looking for a solution on the same problem. I will be sharing this thread with them.

Cheers.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post

Can I get a few more information on the LCD

1. Cost
2. Manufacturer or part number ( Some way to identify for purchasing )
3. Is it same for all versions of Punto/Linea
4. Is it shared with any other vehicle

Thank You in Advance
Hi! The cost of the LCD was 5K, and i got it from kava Automobiles in Opera house. The unit is same for Punto and linea for the variants with the same type of meters. The new LCD is available online as well from a few sites in europe but it costed over 8K + shipping online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great job, thanks for sharing.
Small suggestion; when working on modern car electronics (or any electronics) it does make sense to always use a proper anti-static strap.
I agree! i did use a silicone anti static mat, however i did not use one of those bracelets. in hindsight i should have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks for sharing this DIY. I know many who have faced this issue are are looking for a solution on the same problem. I will be sharing this thread with them.
thank you!
HimuraKenshin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The DIY applies to Linea and Punto cars with the same LCD/ MID issue
This is a blessing for all Fiat Linea owners. Thanks a lot for the thread, very detailed one and gives a feeling to the Fiat owners that the DIY is doable without any major damage chances.

Was the LCD unit from Kava a new one or an used one? I hope there will be a spare LCD availability for the Punto owners too because the display unit in my Punto does act weird at times with the figures all going haywire.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2020 at 23:34. Reason: coz > because.
Old 4th November 2020, 23:27   #9
BHPian

Thank you for sharing this DIY. This is Amazing and at the right time. I was searching for a DIY on how to change the display but found tutorials only for the Fiat Doblo and 500. My Grande Punto's LCD is dying a slow death. The pixels are melting from the center and currently only the Trip A/B, top line stats are visible.

Similarly I went through the same phase as you and 17k is extremely ridiculous for a new cluster. I kept digging through and came across Kava automobiles selling this replacement LCD for 5K. But in the interest of saving more money and for what is essentially a part that is prone to failure without announcement. I dug deep and found a shop called Noble Meter service in Thrissur.

The replacement LCD display they sell is between ₹750-1000 and I have reached out to them. They currently have run out of stock and told me they are expecting a new shipment in a few weeks.

As I am able to keep track of my Odo reading through the trip A/B have decided to wait and see if I can end up getting the display from them for under ₹1000 bucks. If not I will go ahead with the replacement from Kava Automobiles.

Last edited by Shanksta : 4th November 2020 at 23:38.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 23:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing.

Given my high odo figure - this thread gives me the shivers and I'm not good with DIY installations as well. But still - good to know there are options available to keep the thing running. 17k sounds plain ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I dug deep and found a shop called Noble Meter service in Thrissur.
Thanks for sharing. Please do update once you get the work done as well.
Old 5th November 2020, 09:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is a blessing for all Fiat Linea owners. Thanks a lot for the thread, very detailed one and gives a feeling to the Fiat owners that the DIY is doable without any major damage chances.

Was the LCD unit from Kava a new one or an used one? I hope there will be a spare LCD availability for the Punto owners too because the display unit in my Punto does act weird at times with the figures all going haywire.
Thanks so much! The LCD is a new but from a "lot" apparently. I dont quite understand what a lot means according to them.
Quote:
Thank you for sharing this DIY. This is Amazing and at the right time. I dug deep and found a shop called Noble Meter service in Thrissur.

The replacement LCD display they sell is between ₹750-1000 and I have reached out to them. They currently have run out of stock and told me they are expecting a new shipment in a few weeks.

As I am able to keep track of my Odo reading through the trip A/B have decided to wait and see if I can end up getting the display from them for under ₹1000 bucks. If not I will go ahead with the replacement from Kava Automobiles.
Woah! do keep us posted! the dispaly for under 1K seems like a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing.
thank you
Old 18th January 2021, 17:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for sharing. Please do update once you get the work done as well.
Quote:
Woah! do keep us posted! the dispaly for under 1K seems like a bargain.
thank you
UPDATE:

With the new car bug biting me, I kept following up for the elusive 1000bucks replacement display. But to my luck, the store owner informed me he has not yet received the same and told me he just does not know when he will get it.

I checked with a few stores in Chennai namely in Pudupet. Every single store told me point blank as soon as I mentioned Punto “You will not get it”. I also have the below two offers from 2 stores:
- Refurbished instrument cluster from Active/Dynamic variant for ₹4500. The owner specifically told me I can try and get you an emotion variant cluster for 7-8k but there is no guarantee on the life and suggested the above from the lower variants as the displays are more robust, but we will lose some warning messages that is displayed in the Emotion due the smaller screen.
- The other store owner asked me if the numbers are even faintly visible. If yes he said the display can be restored. But if it is totally blank he told me not to bother bringing the car over. This job was offered at ₹1500.

Common Advice from all the stores I contacted (6 stores)
“ Saar, just live with it. This is common issue in Linea and Punto and there is high demand. But no one is making aftermarket display”

I am in a dilemma now if I should spend anything at all. But this dead display is hindering the sale of my car. Not sure what to do.

Is there an alternate way via OBD where the buyer can verify my car’s odometer mileage ?

Last edited by Shanksta : 18th January 2021 at 17:07.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Is there an alternate way via OBD where the buyer can verify my car’s odometer mileage ?
Yes, odometer reading can be checked via the OBD as well, but you'd need the alfa OBD software.

The LCD is available in Europe at the below site. Very expensive though..
Click Here
Old 20th January 2021, 17:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
Update : I have sold my car.

While I was breaking my head as to how a potential buyer (Individual or Dealer) would be able to verify the reading and the dead display might be a hindrance to the sale of my Punto.

The dealer I had called for evaluation came over to my house saw the dead display and took a picture of the display off-center from the right and the picture captured showed the odometer reading.

He verified my claimed mileage and inspected the rest of the car and offered me a decent sum.

Sad to let her go, but wanted to post this here as it may be helpful. Fiat owners with dead instrument displays that are planning to sell the car -> do not spend on a new display. Almost all the car dealers I spoke to were well aware of this common issue in the Linea and Punto emotion variants.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Since I wasn't satisfied with their explanation, I decided to run the car as it is and to fix it myself whenever I get time. Downloaded the Fiat's Service Manual CD and went through the wiring diagram (colour codes were abbreviated in German took quite a while to figure out). After taking apart half of the dashboard, I found out it was just a faulty connector and consequently overheating wire. This overheated wire altered the resistance value in the feedback circuit from blower and the ACC control panel kept turning off the power to the motor till the temperature (resistance) dropped.

Fixed it myself at no cost and since everything was removed, I was able to clean the blower thoroughly and it was far more effective than the spray through vent cleaners.
Please share the steps for the above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks