Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 22:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Footwell lamp added! The XL6 is as well equipped as a cave, specially when compared to Brezza or Baleno. One of the many things I missed in this car was a warm welcome the footwell lamp provides. At the same time, I wasn't ready for those insanely bright setups by LED strips, needed something more "OEM" looking. Well, in MGA, there are some options. Celerio got footwell lamp option as MGA in Orange color, while old WagonR got it in dark blue. Opted for more subtle Celerio's setup.

Part Number for Celerio's MGA lamp, this one glows Orange/Reddish:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174001.jpg

2 Lamps with couplers:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174145.jpg

Wiring has a provision for fuse also:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174212.jpg

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174219.jpg

The open leads, you need to tap these to Cabin light wires using scotch locks

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174231.jpg

Instructions manual:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174245.jpg

Box contents:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210319_174403.jpg

Some advice from my end if anyone tries this:

1. I tapped connection from left A Pillar. Manual recommends tapping from sill area, but since the wire may become short(notice it was designed for Celerio), I tapped from another location. Hardly matters.

2. Do tape/Zip tie everything firmly else things like scotch lock, fuse holder may rattle. I used OEM wiring harness tapes MSIL uses (36930M70F10 and 77591M75000)

3. There is enough space available to nearly hide the lamp underneath.

4. Make sure you use Adhesion promoting primer on plastic surfaces before sticking the double sided tape.

Some after pics:

Daytime:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210320_185635.jpg

At night

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210322_225105.jpg

Part Number for Old WagonR's Blue illumination:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210322_152629.jpg

Signing off with recent clicks of the XL6:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210324_103531.jpg

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-20210324_103555.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Aditya : 25th March 2021 at 12:06.
Leoshashi is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 09:22   #2
KPR
BANNED

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Update: Footwell lamp added!
Great addition to your XL6. I'm surprised that S Cross has footwell illumination in stock condition but XL6 doesn't ! Anyway it is not a big ask and can be added as you've done through DIY route. It's intriguing how MS give features to their cars. Nexa has nothing premium to it.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6 - Posts copied to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great job, Shashi! Footwell lights have become a necessity for me since the Vento came home 5 years ago. I sorely miss the convenience of having them whenever I get into the Spark.

P.S - Is their anyway of doing this under the rear seats also? Or will this only always work in the front?
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 11:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Great job, Shashi! Footwell lights have become a necessity for me since the Vento came home 5 years ago. I sorely miss the convenience of having them whenever I get into the Spark.

P.S - Is their anyway of doing this under the rear seats also? Or will this only always work in the front?
You can install this anywhere, just make sure wiring is long and flexible enough so that functionality isn't hampered when seat is moved.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 13:08   #6

Did the same to my Jazz last week, still need to tidy up the wiring a bit but it definitely does a lot to modernize the cabin. Dark blue to match OEM JDM Honda Access footwell lights as well as the OEM illuminated door sills.

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_6323.jpg
zhp46 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 15:10   #7
HMV
BHPian

Quote:
At the same time, I wasn't ready for those insanely bright setups by LED strips, needed something more "OEM" looking.
Awesome work, as always! This is something I wanted too (OEM-looking Footwell lights) but couldn’t find anything other than LED Strips. So, in order to get that OEM-look, I got LED strips in warm-white colour but they still didn’t help and looked almost white in colour. So, removed them. Now, after seeing your DIY, I know what to get in order to achieve OEM-look. Thanks!
HMV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 18:37   #8
BHPian

I really loved the fact that:

1) extremely value for money!

2) The color temperature of the light is very soothing and as rightly said isn't as strong as the white led strips.

I had one noob query and wanted to install these in the vento as well? It's no major electrical change but still asked for the sake of it and I guess it will be the best bet for other cars too.
Old 28th March 2021, 18:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
I really loved the fact that:

1) extremely value for money!

2) The color temperature of the light is very soothing and as rightly said isn't as strong as the white led strips.

I had one noob query and wanted to install these in the vento as well? It's no major electrical change but still asked for the sake of it and I guess it will be the best bet for other cars too.
Yes you can install it anywhere, in any car. All it needs is a signal from cabin light wire/door switch.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 12:13   #10
BHPian

Great work as usual Shashi.

I see the illumination is significantly high compared to Baleno which light like candles. If the bulb set up is different will I be able to replace these with the existing ones. The stock set up is more or less useless.
Old 29th March 2021, 16:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Footwell lamp added!
A good DIY when compared to non OEM footlights, Thank you.

Quote:
Did the same to my Jazz last week
My car is Honda WR-V and I want to do this DIY, but with a separate switch to control it.

Please suggest a Fog light switch/Normal switch which fits perfectly in the empty slot of Honda Jazz/City/WR-V
DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-2017hondawrv20.jpg
Old 29th March 2021, 21:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post

Please suggest a Fog light switch/Normal switch which fits perfectly in the empty slot of Honda Jazz/City/WR-V
Attachment 2138321
I've actually been looking for another fog light switch to wire it to, but the fogs were dealer installed and not factory and so I can't find the button in any parts catalogues. Will let you know if I find it somewhere.
zhp46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 00:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
[b]
Part Number for Old WagonR's Blue illumination:

This looks a lot different than the Celerio one's you've Installed, is there any image of it in work ? I really like the subtle blue colour effect and planning to install in my Tiago.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-screenshot_20210424003318.jpg  

pritanshchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 00:49   #14
BHPian

Inspired by your DIY, decided to get footwell lamps in our Ecosport. Since Ecosport comes with blue back lighting, went with the WagonR ones. Special thanks to @Leoshashi for sending the lights to me . The most common (& more easy to install) footwell lights are the LED strips (easily available online or offline) which get power from the 12V socket. I had few issues with these, they were too bright, they needed to be turned on/off manually & a 12V socket will have to be permanently dedicated to it. In short, I wanted an OEM kind of installation, with no wires hanging around.

The installation is rather straightforward except for the part of tapping into the cabin light wires (for a newbie DIY guy like me). For my installation, I first removed the rear interior lamp (Ecosport gets 2 lamp), did a trial run from there. Then I opened the door sill plastic panel (driver side), traced out the wires I needed to tap in (matched the colour code from the rear lamp wiring). Tapped into the wires using scotch locks (provided in the packaging), did a final trial run, the lights worked perfectly. Then fixed the plastic trims back (carefully).

Routed the wiring through the firewall area, from the driver side to the passenger. Tidied the wiring with zip ties, tried my best to hide everything. The lights turn on when I unlock the car, turn off after I start the car/put in accessories mode. They also turn on when any of the door is opened. Basically they work like how the cabin light in center position work.

The packaging:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-packaging.jpg

The content:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-contents.jpg

Instruction manual:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-instruction-manual.jpg

Rear cabin light wiring (+ve terminal goes into the green wire, -ve terminal into the yellow):

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-rear-dome-light.jpg

The plastic trim that needs to be removed:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-plastic-trim-removed.jpg

Scotch lock in place (see the number of wires in a modern car, it's very important to know which wires to tap into):

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-scotch-lock.jpg

Driver side final look:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-driver-side-final.jpg

Passenger side final look:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-passenger-side-final.jpg

Night look:

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-night-full-view.jpg

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-rhs-night-view.jpg

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-lhs-night-view.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 10th May 2021 at 01:08.
chiranjitp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:11   #15

Thank you @leoshashi for sharing this!! I wanted to add the footwell lights in my car for long and like you didn't wanted to add LED strips and was looking for something more 'OEM'.

I bought Baleno (delta) in February this year in the signature blue (Stargaze Blue) color. The car is overall a great package when it comes to equipment and features!! But there is always some scope.

So finally decided to add the footwell lights and upgrade the cabin lamp bulbs.

For footwell lights, I choose the MGA blue lights for Wagon-R as would go with the overall blue theme of the car. I had the illuminated scuff plates installed as an accessory so decided to connect the footwell lights on the same wiring instead of dome lamps; reason: less fiddling with the stock wiring and no cutting/soldering with the stock wiring as well!!

Ordered them from boodmo: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-intr...gonr-50392877/ - Rs. 550 each

I bought 2 sets (added the lights under the front seats as well) & the complete process took about 45 min. to complete and the end results were quite satisfying!!

Choose Osram LED lamps for front cabin lamps: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GFPNC8Q/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

and Phillips LED for the center cabin lamp: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NAZKZE8?...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_4439.jpg  

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_4440.jpg  

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_4441.jpg  

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_4442.jpg  

DIY: Adding footwell lamps in my Maruti XL6-img_4443.jpg  

sramdev9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks