Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 12:34   #1
BHPian

DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals

How many of you have ever done this?
We wash the car exterior , polish it, clean the tyres and rims, underbody wash, rust treatment and in the interiors we vacuum the seats, and once in a while foam wash the seats , the dash board, steering wheel, knobs, stalks, door pads, floor mats.
The 2 or 3 main things which are constantly under our feet which makes our car move and take us to our desired place is the most ignored part of car during car wash.
You need not clean it during every car wash. Just give an attempt and see the results , and you will be glad with the outcome.
This is the first time in my life I am cleaning the pedals.
Materials required:
* An old toothbrush
* Soap water in a Mug or bucket
* A cloth

Time required: 15-30 minutes.

- Place a cloth under the pedals , wet the toothbrush with soap water and keep scrubbing the pedals.
- I recommend to scrub the brush to match the pattern of the pedals. It will be more effective , and bristles reaches every nook and corner of the pedals.

DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-dad027b4eb5f4109990400845ade6e40.jpeg

DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-5ede07d309e048c9817136fef5ca1e22.jpeg
Look at the dirt which was accumulated for over 6 years of ownership

- For eg. the accelerator pedal should be brushed up and down & The Brake pedal should be brushed diagonally.
DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-7261b57d3e3b422382e17a7762e7cc48.jpeg

- Repeat the process again by rinsing the brush in soap water
- Wipe of the pedals with a cloth , and spray a multi purpose cleaner if you wish to do so.
DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-1e1b5ccf8cc34e1ebd643f81dbba6b11.jpeg

- Results are outstanding. I was hesitant to stamp the pedals again

DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-46856f95a6cb470c96919bb6c68652c4.jpeg
DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals-8b8815abdf7a442c904283a6e2984bfb.jpeg

Thank you.
Vasanth is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 12:57   #2
HMV
BHPian

re: DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
How many of you have ever done this?
Interesting DIY. I used to clean them every time after the carwash. However, they would become filthy again and that sight, minutes after cleaning them (can be rectified by driving without shoes put on though!) makes me hesitant to do them now.
HMV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 14:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals

Wow, I used to always wonder why these are not cleaned during a regular wash. I just try to wipe them with a wet cloth but the results are just average. Your pedals looks stunning, I will do this on my car this weekend. Thank you for the lovely DIY!
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 08:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY - Cleaning the ABC pedals

Only a BHPian would do this - those pedals look good enough to eat out of! Great job, Vasanth. I must appreciate your attention-to-detail with cleaning the pedals and documenting its DIY. Gone to our homepage today .

My pedals are currently looking *almost* like this (but not as good) because I just got both my luxury barges detailed at the start of the week.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 08:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The 2 or 3 main things which are constantly under our feet which makes our car move and take us to our desired place is the most ignored part of car during car wash.
Hadn't ever thought about this until now, I too wonder why our pedals are constantly neglected! In the Covid era especially maintaining hygiene becomes really important and I think the pedals can easily become one of the dirtiest areas in our car.

Many Youtube videos have complicated pedal cleaning e.g. Steam wash and wipe with 2-3 different products. The simplicity of your method is really awesome and works wonders! Thanks for sharing, I am sure it will help many other BHPians!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 13:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Great job!

I use Colgate with tooth brush on the pedals, the process is more or less similar.

Result is perfectly clean pedals.

After that I usually drive without the footwear to avoid getting dirt on the pedals, keeping them clean for a bit longer.

Last edited by iamahunter : 26th May 2021 at 13:36.
Old 26th May 2021, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Definitely never cleaned the pedals before, but I am getting this done the next time I clean my cars. Great job and your pedals looks like the car has just been delivered !

Off topic: Any clue why the accelerator pedal grip comes with straight lines while the others are crisscross ? Any function besides grip ?
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 15:45   #8
BHPian

Hi Vasanth,
I do the exact same steps after a car wash. Interesting to know there are others who do the same
Herbie98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 16:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to admit, shamefully, that I have never ever cleaned the pedals on any of my cars, ever! You make us look bad!
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 16:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Used to clean the pedals religiously. Ofcourse I only do a deep thorough wash once a month.

Have to admit that I forgot the last time I cleaned the pedals. Maybe five-six years since I last touched them with hands.
Old 26th May 2021, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Lovely DIY! I am not even sure if 3M covers the pedals during interior detailing

The twinkle from Aluminium pedals in footwell lighting would more than make up for the efforts (which includes a not too convenient crouching position)
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Those pedals look cleaner than in factory new cars ! The only time I cleaned my pedals was when bubblegum was stuck on the brake pedal and was causing obvious problems.

This might sound stupid, but I actually like some mud stuck in the grooves. When the pedal rubber is squeaky clean, there tends to be friction between the shoe sole and the pedal, giving the feeling that shifting of foot may be slower than desired. Of course, this maybe entirely due to my driving style.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 19:33   #13
BHPian

I bought a set of MGP A,B,C pedal rubber pads for my cars from boodmo at 6 rupees each. If there is some wear and tear, then replacing them might actually work out cheaper than applying a cleaning product for mainsteam manufacturers.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

This damned virus and the resultant lack of driving is getting to all of us, I guess. For an extreme lack of anything to do with our cars, we are cleaning things that are never normally cleaned - the A, B & C pedals, the upper surface of our ceiling fan blades, the soles of our shoes, and even those black coated pots and pans in the kitchen.

Especially remarkable is the fact that all the pedal rubbers in the last picture of OP's post shows absolutely no wear in any of the pedals. I had to go out and check my own car - there's noticeable rubber wear on the clutch and accelerator pedals even after ~19k km.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 22:49   #15
BHPian

Excellent DIY... I am used to do this not with the cleaning liquid as OP but with regular soap water mixed with bit of disinfectants / phenyl. OPs ABC pedals look almost new but i do see lot of worn out rubber after ~100K Kms on my Grand i10.

---
Sukumar
niceguisuku is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks