Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 15:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Installing an OEM 288mm Big Brake Kit | VW Polo

Bravo @FludicJoy - kudos, welldone and a very detailed writeup. Did you at any point think about disc brakes for the rear?
Old 9th September 2021, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Bravo @FludicJoy - kudos, welldone and a very detailed writeup. Did you at any point think about disc brakes for the rear?
Glad you liked it. I did not consider the rear disc right away for a few reasons. The most important one being an incompatible Rear Axle. The present Polo comes with a rear axle which cannot be mounted with the OEM rear disc kit. Please don't quote me on this, but to the best of my knowledge the first Gen Polo sold in India and the Fabia had a compatible axle. For installing rear discs on the present car, folks use an adapter mounting plate as an intermediate. I feel this is still kinda risky, though once done, should work just perfectly. I had heard a lot of praise about the Big Brake Kit so logically wanted to do that first since it was more bolt-on. I drove a few 310mm brake kit cars and found the bite too strong for daily driving. 288mm felt like the middle ground. Additionally, 288mm is the only brake size which can be coded with the rear drum, which I intended to keep. All that being said, I drove a rear disc kitted Polo a few weeks ago, and the car was a sure stopper.
Old 1st June 2022, 10:27   #18
BHPian

Hi @fluidicjoy, kudos to you on successfully completing the big brake upgrade.
I've recently bought a pre-owned Jetta and would like to have some insights on the ideal brake pad replacement. The stock pads seem okayish but on hard braking, it tends to fade. All-round have about 5mm of pad thickness as per my SA. Kindly suggest what pads to replace with and if you have the part numbers of the same handy do share them.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 20:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
I've recently bought a pre-owned Jetta and would like to have some insights on the ideal brake pad replacement. The stock pads seem okayish but on hard braking, it tends to fade. All-round have about 5mm of pad thickness as per my SA. Kindly suggest what pads to replace with and if you have the part numbers of the same handy do share them.

Thanks
In the same boat for my Jetta. If you've found something useful please share
Old 4th June 2023, 07:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post

Thanks
Congratulations on your new car. Plenty of owners have had good success with EBC Yellow Stuff, Brembo brake pads and found the brakes to have a good improvement. However, these might eat into your rotors a little faster than the OEM stock pads. Have you checked the present brake pads on the car? I personally like the OEM brake pads which are imported brake pads made by ATE, since they're a middle ground in braking and durability.

To specifically reduce brake fade, you may look at some improved rotors like slotted or drilled rotors, which will dissipate heat faster and theoretically show lesser brake fade. These are available with major parts dealers and performance retrofit garages.

Unfortunately, I do not have part numbers for these performance parts, but it should be very simple to find them since Jetta is a very popular car in India. I found these stock OEM brake pads on Boodmo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkaushal View Post
Hope the above response helps! Please keep us posted on what you ended up purchasing, and your braking performance.
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 18:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkaushal View Post
Hi, I've replaced the rear pads with ATE. They seem to be as good as the stock pads if not marginally better. They don't leave a lot of brake dust either.

When it's time for the replacement of the front pads I'm mostly going with ATE only. Quite a few of Jetta Owners are happy with them.
duker2997 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks