Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 06:42   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent

My parents use a 2018 Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT. The Santro has a wiper stalk which has a let-down - lack of the intermittent (INT) mode wherein the wiper works in breaks/pauses.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_1.jpg

We usually engage this mode, when there's a light rain/drizzle and switch to the low speed when it starts pouring. In the Santro however, Hyundai chose to do away with the intermittent speed mode. When I visit my parents, I take the car out and during monsoons, this used to be bothersome. You've to constantly engage the wiper for that one wipe.

That’s when I decided to check the wiper stalk of the Grand i10 and Xcent which has the intermittent mode and figured that they all looked similar in construction including the electrical connector (verified from Boodmo's images).

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-xcent_wiper-stalk.jpeg

I decided to try my luck, bought a wiper stalk assy. from the Xcent off Boodmo, installed it and guess what! Not only did the intermittent mode work, as a bonus, the wash-and-wipe feature worked too! In the Santro, if you were to pull the wiper stalk towards the driver side, the nozzles spray the fluid on the windshield but the wipers won’t work in tandem. We have to manually turn the wiper on. This issue was sorted too which I realized during a drive later. Two birds in one shot eh?

Installation is simple and takes about 20 minutes tops. The replacement wiper stalk costs less than Rs. 800 (inclusive of shipping charges) and this upgrade is highly recommended for existing Santro owners! As always, I’ve listed down the tools required, part required, the procedure and a video as well. Santro owners who are bothered about this should definitely get the stalk replaced – makes your drive during monsoons that much more convenient.

Tools required:
  1. Phillips screwdriver

2. Flat blade screwdriver

3. Trim removal tool or cover the flat blade screwdriver with some masking tape

Part required:

SWITCH ASSY. - WIPER & WASHER - 93440-4N100 (Boodmo – link)

Costs Rs. 671 (during Sep '21). Boodmo shipped the part on time and shipping charges were reasonable (Rs 76).

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_4.jpg

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_5.jpg

Procedure:
1. Undo the 3 Phillips screws holding the bottom steering cowl.

There are 2 screws on either side of the cowl:

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-1.png

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-2.png

And 1 at the bottom:

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-3.png

2. Use a trim removal tool (or a flat blade screwdriver covered with masking tape) to pry open the top and bottom steering column cowls.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3026.png

3. Pull the top and bottom steering column cowls.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3024.png

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3025.png

While removing the bottom cowl, you need to take it out of the ignition lock assy. carefully.

4. Press the tab on the connector of the wiper stalk and pull it off.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-4.png

5. Use the flat blade screwdriver on the tab and that will release the stalk assembly from the slot.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-5.png

Some snaps of the areas around the steering column:

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_6.jpg

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_7.jpg

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_8.jpg

The two stalks side-by-side (same size; the image is causing a perspective difference):

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_11.jpg

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_12.jpg

6. Reverse the steps - insert the new stalk in the slot and it will lock itself in with a firm click.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3031.png

7. Plug the connector to the assy.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3030.png

8. Before replacing the cowls back, test the working of the new stalk assy. just to be sure it is working fine.

9. Replace the bottom cowl and the 3 screws holding the cowl.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3028.png

10. Replace the top cowl.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img3027.png

This is going to be a bit of a struggle as the steering column isn’t adjustable and there is limited space on top to work with. I took the most time here.
Result:

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-santro_13.jpg

The intermittent mode works nicely now! After this was done, we went for a drive and that's when I realised the wash-and-wipe system works without the need to engage the wipers after the wiper stalk is pulled!

I've also clicked a video of the whole process for those who find videos convenient. Check it out:

Trust this was useful. Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any queries/feedback.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th October 2021 at 10:06.
Gannu_1 is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:54   #3
BHPian

re: Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
My parents use a 2018 Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT. The Santro has a wiper stalk which has a let-down - lack of the intermittent (INT) mode wherein the wiper works in breaks/pauses.

Trust this was useful. Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any queries/feedback.

Just one word for your DIY "AWESOME"

It really amazes me on your knowledge and endeavor to perform DIY, which are not just useful feature but also enhances the car user's overall experience of driving the car. I have gone through all of your DIY threads and each of them are superb and inspiration for many others to apply same in their cars.
aeroamit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:46   #4
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
The intermittent mode works nicely now! After this was done, we went for a drive and that's when I realised the wash-and-wipe system works without the need to engage the wipers after the wiper stalk is pulled!
Congratulations on performing this excellent upgrade brilliantly

Sadly, automobile manufacturers are making such upgrades increasingly difficult on newer cars by adding blockages in the ECU software itself. For example, I wanted to add the cruise control feature in my 2017 Creta but apparently that feature is blocked in the software even though there are no restrictions from the hardware point of view
Chhanda Das is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats an awesome DIY.

However I found it surprising that there is no intermittent wiper on the Santro Sportz which is 1 variant below top end! Even the humble Maruti 800 had intermittent wipers.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Thats an awesome DIY.

However I found it surprising that there is no intermittent wiper on the Santro Sportz which is 1 variant below top end! Even the humble Maruti 800 had intermittent wipers.
Hyundai is known to skip intermittent wiper feature often. I had the same issue in my 2009 model i10 Magna AT. At that time, intermittent was offered from Sport upwards. This wiper stalk swap solution was widely discussed on this forum even back then and I got it done at an FNG. 10 minute job, but worth every penny of money spent.
autotranny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Thank you so much for a very useful DIY. I badly miss this in my wifeys Santro Sportz AMT as my 10yr old vista has this feature. It used to be really annoying to use the wiper stalk again & again during slight drizzles. My weekend plans are finalized
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Thank you so very much for this DIY. My wife has the Santro AMT and this has irritated me to no end. I'm absolutely going to do this as soon as I get my hands on the new stalk!
medicineman1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 18:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The Santro has a wiper stalk which has a let-down - lack of the intermittent (INT) mode wherein the wiper works in breaks/pauses.
One of the most satisfying car DIYs I read in the recent past, yet simple to implement. A few years ago, I roamed around in one of my cousins Santro for 2 years or so , and this was one of the most wanted features I wished for
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 21:17   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the DIY. Looks neat. Curious if I can repeat the feat on my Eon in the same way. Got my weekend work cut out.
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 01:37   #11
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, especially the video.

This was done in our i10 Magna by replacing the wiper stalk with that of Sportz variant.
The latter came with rear wash wiper which is absent in Magna. The intermittent functionality still worked fine.
This investment keeps wiper blades and windshield in healthy condition.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:31   #12
BHPian

Old model Santro had an intermittent feature IIRC. Recently I rented a REVV car - Santro AT and I was surprised that this feature is missing. Also the blinker - 3 times to overtake on the lanes - is missing, which is available in Celerio. More than 7" touch screens, these kind of features are more important.

A trivia: In 2001, I paid Rs 350 to get a LHS side mirror for my Santro LE model, as I was driving on a 4-lane highway every day to my work place. It was not mandatory those days.
Old 18th December 2021, 09:48   #13

Just changed mine and I'm super relieved, thanks a ton
btdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 13:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! This is the beauty of team bhp, we share with each other what we find useful. Using your post as a guide, I did the same in my car; and now I have a great wiper-washer. Some pics form the installation job that I did:

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img_20220407_092503.jpg
Mobis part from Boodmo.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img_20220407_115019.jpg
Old and new together. One extra pin.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img_20220407_115044.jpg
Connector.

Hyundai Santro DIY | Adding intermittent wiper stalk from the Hyundai Xcent-img_20220407_120800.jpg
New one attached.

Hope to see more DIY from you.
BhaskarG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 18:27   #15
BHPian

I have also changed my wiper stalk by following Gannu_1's post. A big relief the intermittent feature works well.

Thanks Ganu_1 please keep on posting such DIY's.

This is one of the reasons to be a part of Team-BHP.
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks