Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 19:36   #1
BHPian

DIY: My Racing Simulator Build

This post dates back to 2017 when a thought of building a racing simulator came to my mind.
I had taken part in the prelim rounds of Nissan Gran Turismo academy in 2015, which made me experience the amazing Logitech G27 racing wheel on a F1 styled seat in combination with a PS3 and a 6 speed MT.
Name:  gtacademy2013638x424.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  57.1 KB

DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-2015nissangtacademyindia.jpg

Thought of getting a Logitech G27 but with a twist and adding some creativity to it.
Since I had started to drive on a Fiat Petra 1.6 EL, so planned to create a driving simulator which had the theme of the same spec vehicle so that I can treasure it in my bedroom.
Name:  IMG_20200422_230839_275.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  99.9 KB
So basically this was a project which had focus on Form more than Function

Search for a similar spec Palio GTX/Petra started.
The Aim was to get the following things
1. Grey/Black dashboard (Pre Palio NV cars)
2. Silver backed Instrument Cluster with tachometer (Palio 1.6 GTX/S10/Petra 1.6 specific)
3. Center Console with defogger & fog light buttons
4. Specific Driver Seat upholstery (Palio/Petra 2003-2005 models)

Hunting down these parts was a pain, as most scrap cars were 1.2 Palio models. After some searching, finally found out the dash stuff out of a 2002 Palio 1.6 GTX & the clean seat from a super rare 2004 Palio 1.9D Safety Pack.
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180114_162229125.jpg
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180112_165319988.jpg
Wrapped the seat in a cling film as it was literally like a brand new one.

Post this procurement, the designing & fabrication of the body for the simulator started.
Firstly cut the dashboard in half in order to save space & make the setup compact
Secondly used a mild steel setup for the fabrication part & a checkered plate in the base (Pedal location)
Thirdly designed it in such a way so that the Screen can be swiveled 90 degrees so that it can be used other wise for playing other games as well when not on the seat.
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180112_165348723.jpg

DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180112_202102388.jpg

DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180113_123232013_hdr.jpg
Post all the fabrication process, I gave it a good sanding & a spray of red oxide primer followed by black paint & clear coat.

Installed a VU 32 Inch screen & connected the setup to my PS3 & Alienware
Also with help of a friend, connected the lights of the IC, Dashboard & the digital clock to a 12v adapter for better aesthetics.
Below are the pics of the completed project after installation in my room
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-dsc_6240.jpg
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-dsc_62433.jpg
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-img_20180115_223732987.jpg
The ergonomics of the whole setup are definitely not the best (vs professional setups), but since it has been built as per my dimensions so I and even other friends of similar built are able to fit in easily & have a good experience overall & the best part I get to relive atleast some part of the old days of my Fiat Petra.

And last but not the least, special thanks to my Safari which helped me haul this heavy setup right from the scrap guys to the raw material guys to the welder to the painter & finally home.
DIY: My Racing Simulator Build-dsc_2809.jpg

Last edited by 123.rishabh : 16th January 2022 at 02:36.
123.rishabh is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 05:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: My Racing Simulator Build

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: My Racing Simulator Build

What driving simulators do you use? Do you play Gran Turismo on this? It looks really great!
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Wow! This was an amazing build. Hope to make something like this very soon.
Thanks a ton. Really helpful.
Cheers,
D
Dwaipayan26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 15:28   #5

You’ve built a racing setup and are using it for EURO Truck Simulator lol. Good setup though, I’m getting inspired now. Would you mind sharing the total cost?
aviator47 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
What driving simulators do you use? Do you play Gran Turismo on this? It looks really great!
I have played the following games so far on this
1. Gran Turismo 5 & 6
2. Grid 2
3. Euro Truck Simulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator47 View Post
You’ve built a racing setup and are using it for EURO Truck Simulator lol. Good setup though, I’m getting inspired now. Would you mind sharing the total cost?
Yeah, personally love euro truck simulator a lot.
Total cost of the setup excluding the Play station & PC is around 75k
123.rishabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Do the gauges work ?
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 19:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
I have played the following games so far on this
I am looking for setting up a sim driving setup in my home. I am absolutely newbie. May I please know, which are the required things to purchase. I want a shifter as well.

I will use the setup to teach preliminary driving to my dad and mom and can use myself for sim racing as well as sim driving. I have a budget of approximately 1 lac except pc.

1. Name of the required parts
2. Suggested sim driving (not racing) games for pc

Thanks in advance.
indrasis_gun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Holy smokes!! That's a lovely build. I plan to do a similar setup with Ritz dashboard, I love it's tacho-speedo setup. Is it possible to use the original steering wheel somehow?
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 00:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Do the gauges work ?
Unfortunately no, could only provide the backlighting as of now. I have seen a few people on international forums who have used CAN based VW speedos and made them work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrasis_gun View Post
I am looking for setting up a sim driving setup in my home. I am absolutely newbie. May I please know, which are the required things to purchase. I want a shifter as well.
I will use the setup to teach preliminary driving to my dad and mom and can use myself for sim racing as well as sim driving. I have a budget of approximately 1 lac except pc.
1. Name of the required parts
2. Suggested sim driving (not racing) games for pc
Thanks in advance.
You can go for a Logitech G29 for using with PS or a G920 for an xbox setup as they are reasonably priced good setups, the G27 has now been discontinued but also supports PC.

You can definitely build a setup under 75k(Excluding PC). All you need is a Steering setup with manual gearbox & pedals, a good gaming PC, a big screen (I use 32 inch) and a car seat to get a better feel.

City Driving Simulator for PC is a game which you can use for giving basic lessons to your parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Holy smokes!! That's a lovely build. I plan to do a similar setup with Ritz dashboard, I love it's tacho-speedo setup. Is it possible to use the original steering wheel somehow?
Thanks, there are high end FANATEC units available which give you the option to choose various wheels but they are very expensive. Using an existing car steering would give you a poor feel of the force feedback functions as it is not designed for the weight and size of that wheel
123.rishabh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks