Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2024, 20:05   #1
BHPian

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N

DIY Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio N Z8 D AT 4Xplor

After the rendezvous with the Duster and then the All New Thar, it was time for Scorpio N. And now after about an Year and 20k Kms later, 2 things that bugged me was the GPS Signal Loitering issue when connected over Android Auto and someone like me, who spends a lot of time driving at night, the absence of an auto-dimming inside rearview mirror (IRVM)was a sore point on a well kitted car. I was able to fix the GPS issue while browsing through some Android Forums and then this was the next big thing which i had to fix

The Auto IRVM as a feature, automatically reduces glare from the headlights of vehicles behind you, it can significantly enhance nighttime driving comfort. Luckily, installing an auto-dimming IRVM turned out to be lengthy but a feasible DIY project with adequate support from Ankit
(https://durvient.com). A big shout out to him for the constant support which was required due to an unique type of mount used by Mahindra, making it not compatible with any standard mounts available in the after market.

And a clarification too, I am in no way involved commercially with Ankit or Durvient

Tools and Materials Needed

1)Ensure it is compatible with your vehicle.
2)Mounting Bracket/Adapter: Specific to the Scorpio N. This was the single impediment in a Standard swap job, otherwise.

Images of the Std IRVM and the internal components..

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0016.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0017.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0018.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0019.jpg

3)Wiring Harness: For connecting the mirror to power. Didn't have to do much here as Ankit had ensured extra cable length was already provided with the mirror.
4)Trim Removal Tools: For removing interior panels.
5)Fuse Tap Connectors: For connecting wires securely. Fuse Tester, Heat Shrink: For securing wire connections.
6) Start with Clean Hands unless you want to soil the light color interiors

Step-by-Step Installation Guide:
1. It was a Saturday post Breakfast project, so I moved my car within the basement parking lot
to an empty parking bay which received adequate light and was well ventilated.
2. Removed the Existing Mirror Using a trim removal tool and removed the cover to access the
existing mirror. Gently detach the mirror from the windshield.
3. Install the New Auto-Dimming Mirror by Attaching the custom mounting bracket which was
the Original Scorpio N IRVM’s fabricated on the Auto IRVM by Ankit in a very skillful manner.I
had to ensure that it was fixed to the Windshield on the base plate was securely fastened.

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0020.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0021.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0022.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0023.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0024.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0027.jpg

DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N-img20240525wa0025.jpg

4. Wiring the Mirror by Routing the wiring harness from the mirror to the fuse box located under
the steering in Scorpio N. The harness includes a power wire (red), a ground wire
(black).Identifying Power Source using a Fuse Tester was easy and I quickly located a Fuse
which is Powered on Ignition Only. Used a Fuse Tap and connected the Red Wire to it and heat Shrink the joint for a stable and secure power to the Auto Dimming IRVM. Attached the
(Black)ground wire to a metal part of the car’s body for a solid ground connection.
5. Secured all wiring to prevent them from hanging loosely. Reconnected the Fuse and time to
test the mirror. Turned the ignition ON and Bingo!, the mirror powers on. Exposed the sensor to
bright light to check if it dims and clears up when the light is removed.
6. Reassembled Interior Panels Connections and time for a road test.

Post Installation Testing:

I am certain that many Scorpio N users would be contemplating to add an auto-dimming IRVM
and I hope this guide may help them to install the mirror, enhancing nighttime driving
comfort and safety.
If at any point you feel uncertain, don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance to ensure everything is installed correctly and safely.

Enjoy the glare-free drive

Last edited by soumobakshi : 25th May 2024 at 21:34.
soumobakshi is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 23:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio N Z8 D AT 4Xplor

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 12:33   #3

re: DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N

Hey Soumo!
This is a much-needed upgrade. Thanks for the guided DIY post
I am hoping that the recently introduced IRVM in XUV700 could be retrofitted into Scorpio N. Did you check out this option too before going ahead with your DIY?
I have asked the same from my Mahindra SCA but haven't received a revert yet.
Old 26th May 2024, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio N Z8 D AT 4Xplor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Hey Soumo!
This is a much-needed upgrade. Thanks for the guided DIY post
I am hoping that the recently introduced IRVM in XUV700 could be retrofitted into Scorpio N. Did you check out this option too before going ahead with your DIY?
I have asked the same from my Mahindra SCA but haven't received a revert yet.
Is it possible for you to share more pictures of the new XUV700's IRVM? I will check and confirm if the same DIY is needed or if Mahindra is making things easier for everyone.

This weird mount Mahindra is using has a mysterious origin. We tried a lot of similar-looking mounts, but none were compatible.
durvient is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 14:53   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY: Installation of Auto-Dimming IRVM in the Mahindra Scorpio-N

Hi sir,
Excellent work on the SN. I too had done this with my Thar but using the Maruti OE parts. I had a few questions before getting down to it.

1. Does the ball socket shake a ton like it does on the Thar? Once I swapped mine with a Maruti mount + maruti mirror, that made the mirror one with the glass. There are now zero vibrations. It seems like the plastic clip extending around the sensor cover will not allow this, so the maruti mirror is thus incompatible.
Please see this link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ndra-thar.html (DIY: Fitting an auto-dimming IRVM in a Mahindra Thar)
It has a GIF of me shaking the wobbling mirror.

2. Any comments on the quality of IRVM provided? Where's it made? Does it look like any of the OE products sold here? And does it get sufficiently dark at night? I find the Maruti one to be tuned very well.

3. Did the harness come with an override for reverse? I feel it's unnecessary since we have parking aids.

4. Did you consider any alternatives?

Looking forward to your response.
Old 26th May 2024, 21:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
I am hoping that the recently introduced IRVM in XUV700 could be retrofitted into Scorpio N.
The IRVM in the 2024 XUV7OO is not auto dimming. What purpose would it serve to replace your existing IRVM with that?
Old 27th May 2024, 09:24   #7
BHPian

Quite ironical that the XUV300 has this while the more pricier Scorpio-N and XUV700 have to make do with the manual day-night mirror.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Quite ironical that the XUV300 has this while the more pricier Scorpio-N and XUV700 have to make do with the manual day-night mirror.

XUV300 isn't a Mahindra invented car, it's SsangYong Tivoli, this car has same IRVM as MG Astor and Mahindra Alturas (which is also Ssangyong).

ScorpioN's IRVM mount is same as XUV500, XUV700 and Bolero (new).

Last edited by durvient : 27th May 2024 at 13:50. Reason: Fixed Typo: Invested to Invented.
durvient is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks