Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 09:34   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Lancer has ducts for rear seat cooling?
Yup, but only for the feet. Ducts are located under the front seats.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

The purpose seem to be a better and faster air circulation then. But I will check the ducts out. Thanks for the lead.
Old 4th September 2010, 19:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of procrastination I ahve finally started on redoing the setup again to cover the few drawbacks from the existing set up. Shall post the pictures of the setup asap too. Removing the centre console has given me time to clean it up as well and believe me guys do take time out to open it occasionally to clean the carpet and the floor area under the console. You will be surprised to see how much it does accumulate over time.
The idea is to
1. Straighten out the delivery pipes and shorten the distance too.
2. Refix the vents so that they point upwards and not merely straight to the feet only.
3. Redo the chamber to realign the vents and refix the fans.
4. Remove the plastic chamber in favour of alluminium.
Old 5th September 2010, 16:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

The pictures are posted below of the set up. Questions and suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03940.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03941.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03942.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03943.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03944.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03945.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03947.jpg  

DIY: Rear Air-Con Vents-dsc03948.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 5th September 2010 at 16:11.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 11:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

A brief explanation of the set up is as follows:-
Two small holes were drilled into the blower outlet wall facing the cabin. Small funnel shapes were cut from the neck of the soft drink bottles and were inserted into the holes so that the open end of the funnel would face the downward draft of the air from the blower. The pipes were attached to the bottle necks and would be covered by the gear console. Lower ends of the blower outlet have been taped shut partially to increase more air pressure and flow through the pipes. Since this entire setup would be covered by the console the tapes would stay out of sight.
Now the Dilemma: How to construct an Aluminum Box that will fit beneath the centre arm rest but also house the two small ventilators in a slightly upward tilt position. In case the air pressure is not enough will ahve to install the fans as well the same way as in the older setup. Ideas, mate?
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Still in a fix. have sourced smaller vents but now finding it tough to make the pipes attach to them. One option is again using the bottle necks from the 500 ml bottles on individual vents or using a rubber hose to fix the pipes to them. Fabrication a unit to hold them is even more trickier than I thought it to be.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:10   #52
BHPian

@wanderernomad,
why dont you install a centre armrest with storage space and use the back wall for the installation of the vents which can be adjustable fins .
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

@marine: Mate I already have the central arm rest. See the first pages of this post for the initial set up. Unfortunately my arm rest doesnt have a back wall. Its hollow from beneath. Now I am trying to cut a plastic water jug into half and try to fix the vents on the curvaceous side wall. Let me see how it works out.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

After 4 days of labour and finishing the plastic jug into a black matte finished product it has come to a naught. As I had used the Jug outer curvature to hold the vents the pipes cannot attach properly to the vents rear sides. Tried making an enclosure but then the flow of air was not adequate. Again mounted the fans but even then didnot work out properly. Now in a fix. Tonight will discard the jug and just use the vents propped against the side walls of the arm rest with open pipe outlet just in front of the vents. In case more speed would be required will try to attach the fans once again.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:20   #55
BHPian

Rather than doing the complete overhaul of the plastics, why not go and buy the roof mounted blower. I d seen one in a tavera. IMHO, the blower dispersion will reduce the pressure upfront too, if you use special rear blower setup and will also Mar the looks, finishing would be tacky. Go whole hog, get an elegant roof mount and enjoy..
Old 29th September 2010, 18:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Rohit: Two things.
1. The satisfaction of a DIY.
2. Space constraints in a car vis a vis a tavera.
Old 9th December 2013, 17:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Rear A/c vents DIY

This DIY is for those cars only which have an a/c vent below the front seats.

Summers in Ahmedabad put the citizens on the burner and car a/c's are only respite for people who commute long distances.

Both my cars have rear a/c vents but only under the front seats where they are not useful.. This leads to the passengers at the back suffering for the first 15-20 minutes.

Hence I came up with the idea of getting a/c vents at the rear but extending the tubes further.

Cars in question (Honda Jazz and Mitsubishi Lancer). The lancer goes first.
Materials needed- Heavy rubber pipe, plastic pipe (vaccum cleaner) or copper pipe (used in home ac's) covered with rubber.

I intend to fit an extension to the four vents below the front seats and bend them to go under the center storage bin. The pipes end where the Mitsubishi Lancer's have an ashtray at the rear. I intend to cut the ashtray from the back and leave it as it is so it works as an open and shut vent. I hope the passengers at the rear will thank me if this is effective.

Ideas and suggestions? If this works, I intend to do the same on my Jazz also.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 9th December 2013 at 17:07.
Old 9th December 2013, 17:31   #58
BHPian

Re: Rear A/c vents DIY

^
I haven't seen the 4 vents of Lancer but saw it on Jazz and other hatches, so my comment may or may not be relevant to your current endeavor. Rather than extending it with rubber/copper pipes (which even if gives respire in summer, will be very sore to eyes), isn't it possible to get some OEM or after market spares available for similar cars.

Let me put an example, there are AC vents available under front seats for Fabia. There is a rear AC vent with flow control (at the back of central armrest cum storage) for Rapid. If you could source something in line with this from whichever make/model, fit to your car and feed those pipes underneath, it would be pleasing to eyes. That's what matters most, we could live with some heat, but the Car appearance should not be spoiled!
Old 12th December 2013, 12:52   #59
Team-BHP Support

Some thoughts:

1) How strong is the air-flow from under the front seats? I'd imagine its already quite weak, and extending the pipes is barely going to make a noticeable difference.

2) Why don't you build in some sort of electric fan instead. Either below the front seats (computer fans? but they might be noisy), or on the center console.

Remember that cooling comes from more than just cold air. The rate of flow also plays a big part.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 13:16   #60
BHPian

Honda Jazz or Lancer; has quite a shilling AC even when rear, I ma talking Delhi or Mumbai heat..

before trying to do this mod are you sure your AC is working at its optimum??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks