Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 19:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY HID Install in an Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
haven't tried yet! But will do in the near future when i have a bit of time.

But the regular oven will not melt the plastic.?

I was thinking microwave dishes are also made of plastics and it acts on food only, and the microwave heat will act only on glue, but not on the plastic.
Food items have water molecules in them and its the movement of water and fat molecules which generate the heat. So if the glue/sealant doesn't have suitable microwaveable molecules in it microwaving it may not do any good.

Plastic is not the problem here but the reflective coating inside the reflectors is metallic, and anything metallic will generate sparks and sometimes burns.

The regular electric oven has to be heated first and then turned off and the headlight has to be placed inside. And taken out after a while to see if the lens can be pried off. If not it has to be heated more.

Hope this helps.
E39_Headlight_FAQ.pdf
Old 15th January 2011, 22:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Thanks for the advice and the pdf is very useful indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Will try sometime later and post the result.

I have couple of 800 lights that my MASS owner friend gave it to me which has some minor defects. will try on that just for the result.

Last edited by SirAlec : 15th January 2011 at 22:06.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:35   #18
BHPian

Is it leagle to install HID bulbs into light cowls desinged for halogen bulbs? The last time I tried to get the bulbs upgraded to HID, the vendor was menitoning it is not leagle in Bangalore. What is the legal limit on the brightness of thse bulbs?
Old 29th January 2011, 19:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Is it leagle to install HID bulbs into light cowls desinged for halogen bulbs? The last time I tried to get the bulbs upgraded to HID, the vendor was menitoning it is not leagle in Bangalore. What is the legal limit on the brightness of thse bulbs?
The *legal* limit is a 55W halogen bulb. I installed my HID in Bangalore as well [an year back] but was told there is no legal issues with this. If its illegal, how come Skoda / Toyota Corolla / BMW / Audi etc are able to use it right from factory ??

Now I have removed because one of them conked off and its 4000/- for a new pair of bulbs [Philips Bi-Xenons].

Whats the life of these bulbs if used for long highway runs ? Mine conked off in just around 2-3 months and I had 2 or 3 long drives with lights ON for nearly 7-8 hours in these drives.

Are these advisable if you have long night drives?

Off topic
: These lights look super cool in the nights and from a utility perspective have a very wide spread and you dont need a fog lamp to see the sides of your car!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th January 2011 at 20:14.
Old 30th January 2011, 02:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The *legal* limit is a 55W halogen bulb. I installed my HID in Bangalore as well [an year back] but was told there is no legal issues with this. If its illegal, how come Skoda / Toyota Corolla / BMW / Audi etc are able to use it right from factory ??
I think they're legal when the HIDs are behind a projector which projects a low beam. I think they are not legal when fitted without a projector.
Old 30th January 2011, 04:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I think they are not legal when fitted without a projector.
What about the factory fitted HIDs on the Altis?
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Whats the life of these bulbs if used for long highway runs ? Mine conked off in just around 2-3 months and I had 2 or 3 long drives with lights ON for nearly 7-8 hours in these drives.
As far as I know HIDs have longer lifespan, but they need certain warm up time, so if they are switched on and off frequently it can reduce their lifespan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks