Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 16:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lancer DIY's

Lancer petrol is one of those cars that wont over heat even if the radiator fan is conked off. Reason Has another Fan(AC Fan) which takes the load when the AC is turned on and the radiator cools effectively when the car is running. But if the car is idling i am not sure it will still be in the running temprature.

My car's Radiator fan stopped working during the 120k service(it happened at the service station) The new one was 11k(with the radiator). As the car was not overheating we did some 20k with the present situation.

Recently the AC pipe got cut due to prolonged contact with the headers and all the gas and oil leaked, the compressor got cut off preventing further damage.

We went to a AC shop got all the piping changed, recharged the gas and then came my 140 k service, we changed all the fluids and after doing it at a non A S S location this time the mech revved the engine waiting for the radiator fan to kick in, but this didnt happen, so he called me and i said the fan is broken. he took me to the car and showed me the AC is cutting off every 30 seconds and coming back on after another 10 seconds, he said this will not affect cooling but might damage the engine because of frequent load. So the idea of getting the new fan came into my mind but Vitamin M was the factor.

Today i had some free time so removed the fan to check if this can be serviced. And yes it can be.

Removed the fan motor and cleaned the internals, changed the carbon contacts(50 Bucks) and gave it to a workshop to clean the armature properly and reseat the motor properly. All was done in 15 minutes and was really easy.

I suggest every one should try the DIY route before going in for expensive replacements, especially if the problem is electrical.

I have not taken any pics but will be glad to answer questions if any one has any.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 27th January 2011 at 16:24.
Old 27th January 2011, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Lancer DIY's

Mr Lancergod: On a cold morning start, my temp gauge takes about 3 mins to steadily rise to the halfway mark. Then it just stays there irrespective of the driving speeds,engine load, ambient temperature etc. I am not losing any coolant and I've seen both fans come on, do their bit and turn off again. Is this normal behaviour fpr the entire cooling system?
Old 27th January 2011, 21:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Mr Lancergod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
On a cold morning start, my temp gauge takes about 3 mins to steadily rise to the halfway mark. Then it just stays there irrespective of the driving speeds,engine load, ambient temperature etc. I am not losing any coolant and I've seen both fans come on, do their bit and turn off again. Is this normal behaviour fpr the entire cooling system?

This is absolutely normal for a lancer, and i am proud in saying there is not even one stock Petrol lancer with overheating issue in india, the engineering is so good that you can count on the car, it will never leave you stranded.

Pramod
Old 27th January 2011, 22:10   #4
BANNED

@ deeps

yes , it is normal, the gauge shows just one point below the half way mark. (near, but below half mark), but if AC is on, mine will come down to 1/4th of the gauge and slightly up and back. Mine is diesel lancer.

@pramodkumar

i have also done the same thing, and got the same problem as yours, so i went to my friends electrical shop and removed fan and fixed it with new carbon brush and cleaning armature and refitting it, but i spent Rs.180 for indica carbon brush set, since i could not get for lancers nearby. and altered indica's by just scrapping some carbon breadthwise. it is working fine thereafter.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-problem.html

Last edited by rajivanoj : 27th January 2011 at 22:13.
Old 27th January 2011, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
@pramodkumar

i have also done the same thing, and got the same problem as yours, so i went to my friends electrical shop and removed fan and fixed it with new carbon brush and cleaning armature and refitting it, but i spent Rs.180 for indica carbon brush set, since i could not get for lancers nearby. and altered indica's by just scrapping some carbon breadthwise. it is working fine thereafter.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-problem.html
Mi sourced the bushes from/a heavy duty drill. It was a straight fit no filing required.

Pramod
Old 28th January 2011, 03:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
This is absolutely normal for a lancer, and i am proud in saying there is not even one stock Petrol lancer with overheating issue in india, the engineering is so good that you can count on the car, it will never leave you stranded.

Pramod
So true.
Recently, my car had an encounter with a dog and the radiator and AC condenser got busted.
I drove to the A.S.S with a leaking radiator but the temp guage was showing normal.

OT:I have the Tactrix MUT data logging cable and EVOSCAN software using which we can monitor the coolant temp. If you are free this weekend, we can datalog from your car and then compare with my ride?
Old 28th January 2011, 03:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
OT:I have the Tactrix MUT data logging cable and EVOSCAN software using which we can monitor the coolant temp. If you are free this weekend, we can datalog from your car and then compare with my ride?

G A M E for it !!! So you finally got the cable, awesome.

Pramod
Old 28th January 2011, 13:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Sarath: More updates of evoscan, cable, cost and availability please. And do post results of what you guys are upto.
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mods: Kindly change the tittle of the thread as Lancer DIY's

Due to a recent accident i am on leave, hence plenty of time and nothing much to do, so started DIYing

Today i fixed a green cotton wind filter and smoked the indicators, and yes this time i have pics of WIP.

Things needed

* 800, 1500, 2000 Grit Sandpaper
* Masking Tape
* cutter Blade
* matt black Spray
* Clear coat spary can
* rubbing compound
* Star screw driver
* lot of patience

First removed the lights and did wet sanding using 800 grit paper

Lancer DIY's-03022011004.jpg

Lancer DIY's-03022011.jpg
Applied a thin coat of matt black and wet sanded again using 1000 grit paper
Lancer DIY's-03022011002.jpg

Applied a thick layer of clear and let it dry for 20-30 minutes and sanded again using 1500 grit paper and then with 2000 grit paper

Lancer DIY's-03022011006.jpg

Finally used rubbing compound to get the final finish.

Lancer DIY's-03022011007.jpg

Lancer DIY's-03022011008.jpg

Please feel free to ask any question i would be glad to help.

Pramod
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lancer DIY's

Nice one Pramod. Here's a suggestion:

Lancer DIY's-03022011007.jpg

Raab Rakha.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Nice one Pramod. Here's a suggestion:

Attachment 495097

Raab Rakha.

Thanks for reigniting the fire , i was planning to DIY paint my RX tomorrow, now i may also do this.

Pramod
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:55   #12
BHPian

In addition to servicing the fan motors, it can be a good idea to check all the relays in the circuit for proper operation too. Over time their contacts can cause intermittent problems too in engaging the fan when needed.
Old 16th February 2011, 01:52   #13
BHPian

Awesome looks Pramod!! Now your car has a distinguised character, loved it.

I completely agree with Lancers never getting overheated. Mine is 2001 model and recently I drove Belgaum to Pune - approx 300 kms with just a brief halt. Many times the speed exceeded 150 kmph, with 4 people onboard + A/C and a loaded boot, yet the temperature needle stayed just a notch below halfway. I simply love this car.

---------------------------------
Chewbacca
Old 6th April 2011, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Hello Pramod,

I have some sort of situation where I believe you can guide me! Mine is a 2006 Lancer LX which clocked around 125 K as of now. 2/3 rd of the distance (around 80 K) was covered by the previous owner and the rest by me but I am using this car for over a year now.

Now, I am planning to do a few modification jobs (re-painting, changing the interior, putting a nice pair of alloy wheels+tires, stereo and GPS) but before that, I need to make sure of the car's engine health.

I don't have a problem in doing the engine overhauling and suspension upgrades to ensure that my car will do another 100K effortlessly. As you can see, a good part of my car's life has been in the hands of someone else, so I am not certain how good the car is. I have driven this car all the way from Kerala to Kolkata and everything was just fine.

What do you think about my plans? I believe it's imperative to ensure the mechanical healthy before proceeding with cosmetic modifications. Really appreciate all your insights on this matter!
Old 9th April 2011, 19:06   #15
BHPian

Is it legal to paint these lamps in black color? Don't the cops raise objections?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks