Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 18:49   #181
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
you mean near fatal road accident.
Thanks for correcting mate. I am still not able to come to terms with the sequence of events. No matter what people say about the Hyundai's build quality, this car has been our savior.

Quote:
You should look into buying a car that performs well at small frontal offset impact tests
The relative velocity (car + truck combined) would have been close to three digit mark. Right now evaluating car options with at-least 2 airbags and ABS+EBD.
abhipuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 18:50   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post

Lesson learnt: Never underestimate the importance of sleep. Buckle up as soon as u enter the car.

RIP I20, u shall be missed!
First line made me shudder, thankfully I was proven wrong.

Seatbelt saves lives, and so does sane speeds. My prayers for them to get well soon.

Cars can always be bought, not a life. Stay safe.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th March 2016 at 18:51.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 19:15   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The relative velocity (car + truck combined) would have been close to three digit mark.
Highly doubt that. Go through videos of how a Verna performs in a small frontal overlap crash test

This will give you an idea of how a Hyundai in this price bracket performs. These tests are conducted at around 64kph so I would think 70kph would be the relative velocity. In the moment of the crash it would obviously seem like more.

Anyway, dual airbags, abs and ebd may all be good. BUT look for cars that perform well in the small frontal overlap crash test. It isn't about build quality either because you will see Audi A4s and well built Fiat 500s failing this test. Buy a model launched in recent times. Something like the Ecosport post price reduction, looks good
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 10:32   #184
BHPian

Glad to know your parents are safe! Even glad that they hit a truck not any other smaller vehicle which might have caused to fatality others.

I had similar instance & when my car swerved to left at good 70 -80 K and everyone else were sleeping.

That was the end, I stopped driving when tired or if I have not had good rest.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 10:59   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Lesson learnt: Never underestimate the importance of sleep. Buckle up as soon as u enter the car.
That's a horrendous crash. Hope everyone is doing well. As you mentioned, sleep deprivation can have devastating effects which I've experienced once (luckily didn't crash though).

Quote:
You should look into buying a car that performs well at small frontal offset impact tests
+1 to that. Safety must be given paramount importance along with build quality while buying a car.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:54   #186
BHPian

I am glad your parents escaped with minor injuries. Driving when sleepy is no minor matter. I have lost a friend to this. If you do feel drowsy, please pull over and nap for 20 minutes or so. It does wonders to your alertness. I drive a lot and I always follow this rule.

I hope we get independent crash testing started in India. One can't apply the Euro NCAP ratings to cars in India because their construction in India is usually very different.
kovilkalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 14:26   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
... One can't apply the Euro NCAP ratings to cars in India because their construction in India is usually very different.
Actually, I think that is the whole point --- and why they should be applied!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 14:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:

The relative velocity (car + truck combined) would have been close to three digit mark. Right now evaluating car options with at-least 2 airbags and ABS+EBD.
A very fortunate let-off indeed. God bless all of you.

Is relative velocity the chief determinant of the impact of a head on collision. I believe the relative incongruence between the size of vehicles matters more.

For instance, a 50 foot trailer colliding another 50 foot trailer will not leave as much destruction as a 50 foot trailer meeting an i20 head on. Momentum when conserved during such collisions (theoritically some momentum will be lost) leaves passengers of the smaller vehicle pushing forward at seriously high velocities.

For instance if an i20 is travelling at 60kmph and bangs head on into a 50 foot trailer (which perhaps weights ten times more than an i20) also travelling at 60kpmh, i20's travellers will experience a 'Jerk' which will propel them forward at unimaginable speeds tough to calculate exactly but could be upwards of 250kpmh. That is 'deadly'.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 25th March 2016 at 14:53.
Old 25th March 2016, 14:56   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi

So This is how I or rather my ride does it. 2011 i20 top models (the ones I own) came with an irritating alarm which would go off after crossing speeds of 20 kmph. The alarm is so annoying and it's fun to see their reactions when they see no other option but to wear the belt.

It's noise to them but music to my ears since I know that both of us are safe.

P.s: I feel all cars should have the annoying alarm feature.
Can this be added as an after market accessory? I would love tto have this in my car.
Old 25th March 2016, 16:45   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
For instance if an i20 is travelling at 60kmph and bangs head on into a 50 foot trailer (which perhaps weights ten times more than an i20) also travelling at 60kpmh, i20's travellers will experience a 'Jerk' which will propel them forward at unimaginable speeds ... ... ... be upwards of 250kpmh. That is 'deadly'.

Assuming, for the purpose of argument, that the hypothetical i20 stops instantaneously, the passengers will continue to move forward at 60kph The jerk will happen when they collide with the stuff in front of them. That stuff will be moving towards them, the speeds will be additive, but not equal to the sum of the two vehicle's speeds, unless that other vehicle has so much momentum that it doesn't stop at all.

The speed of the passengers is not going to depend on what they hit, although the speed of their deceleration might. As Clarkson said, Speed doesn't kill; it is the coming to a sudden stop that does.

It isn't going to be fun, colliding with steering wheel, dashboard, windscreen. not even at 30kmph. It is not even going to be fun colliding with the airbag, although one hopes that that makes the difference between minor and major injury

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th March 2016 at 16:48.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 17:07   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Assuming, ..., that the hypothetical i20 stops instantaneously, the passengers will continue to move forward at 60kph The jerk will happen when they collide with the stuff in front of them. That stuff will be moving towards them, the speeds will be additive, but not equal to the sum of the two vehicle's speeds, unless that other vehicle has so much momentum that it doesn't stop at all.
I know we are discussing a grotesque situation here.

But somehow I am not able to accept this argument at some level. May be I am wrong. If my hypothetical trailer comes to a stop as soon as it collides with the i20 (assuming both are travelling at the same speeds), the momentum of the trailer is transferred to the i20 (which comes to a near standstill following the impact or just veers off in a random direction) and its occupants. Given that momentum is calculated as a product of weight and speed and theoretically it stays constant (in the direction of motion), just imagine the speed which is imparted to the occupants who weigh about 75kg each. I believe they will meet fatal circumstances regardless of whether there are obstacles in their motion following an impact (assuming they are not insured through a seat belt etc.). Yes, I agree the presence of obstacles (Steering/dashboard etc.) make them more vulnerable to the aftermath of impact.
Old 25th March 2016, 20:10   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given that momentum is calculated as a product of weight and speed and theoretically it stays constant (in the direction of motion), just imagine the speed which is imparted to the occupants
The speed of the occupants is the speed they are travelling at before the vehicle stops. They continue to move at that speed. No other speed is imparted to them. They do not accelerate in an accident.

I am not talking about damage to the car, about which I am much less sure: it strickes us that a mutual 60 + 60 accident must be equivalent to hitting a stationary concrete block at 120. Whilst that still seems intuitively correct to me, I think Mythbusters did some experiments and found that the intuitive answer isn't actually the right one?

Well... I guess we should get back on topic [Blush]
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:23   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i20's travellers will experience a 'Jerk' which will propel them forward at unimaginable speeds tough to calculate exactly but could be upwards of 250kpmh. That is 'deadly'.
Quote:
Assuming, for the purpose of argument, that the hypothetical i20 stops instantaneously, the passengers will continue to move forward at 60kph

The speed of the passengers is not going to depend on what they hit, although the speed of their deceleration might. As Clarkson said, Speed doesn't kill; it is the coming to a sudden stop that does.
Quote:
But somehow I am not able to accept this argument at some level.
Quote:
The speed of the occupants is the speed they are travelling at before the vehicle stops. They continue to move at that speed. No other speed is imparted to them. They do not accelerate in an accident.
Thad is right. I think the word we are all looking for here, is Inertia. regardless of combined velocities and force of impact to the car, the passengers will move at the rate at which the vehicle was originally travelling.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th March 2016 at 20:25.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 00:40   #194
BHPian

Quote:
You tell them it isn't an option!

You can tell them you won't start unless seatbelts are worn!

Actually, my seat-belt habit is so engrained that it is a nuisance sometimes. Like, after opening the compound gate, I reverse out, then have to get out and close the gate. I find I had put my belt on! Completely automatic, even when I don't mean to!
Actually that is not a bad idea. What if you get hit by another vehicle as you are exiting the compund? Anytime your car is on or when you are sitting on a public road, it is good to keep the seat-belt fastened. Even moving a little in the parking garage, one can have some unforseen incident like pressing the accelerator by mistake. It is a good habit to always have your seatbelt on. It costs you nothing and can save you from injuries or worse.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 04:05   #195
RSR
Senior - BHPian

abhipuri, I'm relieved to hear that your parents escaped with minor injuries & bruises in this terrible crash. I hope they recover completely very soon, both from their minor injuries and mental trauma.

The driver airbag and seat-belts surely played a huge role in this. The i-gen i20 has a really irritating, persistent & loud driver seat-belt reminder, which is simply a fantastic feature! More than my vehement & repeated advice, pleadings, warnings and threats, it is this lovely alarm that forces my forgetful dad to wear his seat-belt everytime he drives the car. I only wish the front passenger seat too had a similar reminder. It was actually there on the pre-facelift version, but was omitted on the facelifted i-gen.

Quote:
No matter what people say about the Hyundai's build quality, this car has been our savior.
+1 to that! The poor i20 did its duty by taking most of the impact and destroying itself in order to save your parents. A saviour without doubt.

Here is another horrific i20 accident which is like a mirror image of the one suffered by your car. Fortunately, in this case too, all the occupants escaped with only minor injuries & bruises:

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-images-6.jpg

Quote:
I met with an accident with my Hyundai i20 Car. Fortunately due to the Seat Belts and Air Bags none of my family members faced any major injuries.

Quote:
I was travelling with my family on the expressway, was driving at about 100km/hr speed on the middle lane, suddenly a mini truck came and cut my lane sharply as he wanted to give way to another car, while trying to save myself and the car I took a left turn and dashed against the start of the tunnel wall.
More details here: http://www.carwale.com/forums/18034-...otal-loss.html

The previous generation i20 was also the only car in its class in India to have a variant with 6 airbags. It's a real pity that Hyundai had most foolishly decided not to offer the earlier Asta(O) variant with 6 airbags on the new i20/Active. I hope they re-consider their utter stupidity and introduce this variant when the car gets a facelift. At the same time, I must add that the new i20 is actually heavier than the old one. For instance, the older (i-gen) i20 Asta 1.2 VTVT weighs 1036 kg, while the equivalent new (Elite) i20 Asta 1.2 VTVT weighs 1080 kg.

It's also highly imperative for Hyundai to make their cars positioned below the i20 in India safer, be it in terms of build quality or safety feature spread. We have an i10 and an i20 (both previous generation ones), and believe me, there is a huge difference in build quality between the two. This can literally be felt everytime I switch cars.

It's high time for Hyundai to abandon the idea of reducing weight to extract better fuel efficiency in their economy cars. If it leads to lower monthly sales, then so be it! If it leads to those absolutely obsessed with fuel efficiency veering Hyundai's economy cars, then so be it! As the market matures & progresses, they can make up for the lost numbers with more profits on safer cars with better build quality.

Are you listening, Mr. Young Key Koo & Co?

Quote:
Right now evaluating car options with at-least 2 airbags and ABS+EBD.
I also say don't look at anything with less than 2 airbags & ABS (EBD happens to be an integral part of the ABS system on most cars on sale today). At the same time, if you can afford it, try to go for a car that also has side & curtain airbags (6 in total), and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) if possible. Apart from side collisions & tree impacts, side & curtain airbags also play a role in minimising injuries in an unfortunate accident like the one your i20 was involved in.

My wishes for your parents' complete recovery. Belt up and drive safe always!

Last edited by RSR : 26th March 2016 at 04:32.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks