Old 20th November 2020, 18:22   #316
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Sharing this video by Volvo.

rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:18   #317
BHPian

Thank you for this thread. I would always buckle up in the front seat and insist that my co-passenger in the front seat always does the same. However I was not aware about the rear seat belt so much. I did not use it on a regular basis whenever I was in a cab and used it only once when I needed to sleep in the rear seat. However on reading this thread, I have understood that how dangerous it is to not wear the rear seat belts. The video "Julie knew her killer" really drives the point home. There is also another video by Toyota "Slingshot" in which they show the dangers of unrestrained child in a car (though not in a child seat). This thread along with the scariest PSA's on YouTube have made me think over my driving habits. The tips given by the members on convincing passengers in rear seat to Belt up are also really helpful.
NG_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:00   #318
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Buckle up, guys, even on the backseat. My brother-in-law was returning from a Californian pub and was seated on the backseat of his Uber. Another car hit them from the right side. The side airbags popped open which saved by BIL on the right side, but due to the sheer impact, he was then thrown to the left side of the car and hit his head on the left window. Ended up with a head injury which luckily didn't turn out to be serious, but it was a close shave. Had a big bump or two on his head and went for all the usual scans.

He wouldn't have been thrown to the other side if he had buckled up on the back seat.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img20201203wa0005.jpg
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:29   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Buckle up, guys, even on the backseat....

...Ended up with a head injury which luckily didn't turn out to be serious, but it was a close shave. Had a big bump or two on his head and went for all the usual scans.

He wouldn't have been thrown to the other side if he had buckled up on the back seat.

Good to know all is well. Rear seat belts are so undervalued and can save you so much misery if not your life in accidents. I walked out of a high speed accident in Sweden with only a chest pain all because I was belted in the back seat. If I wasn't belted up that day, I am 100% sure I would have broken a couple of bones if not something more serious.

Link to my post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4576050 (Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts)

Please enforce the rear seat belt rule as much as possible as everyone should not learn the hard way.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 17:17   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Buckle up, guys, even on the backseat.

Glad he is fine. We were rear ended once, thankfully nothing happened as it was side swipe hit and we were all belted up.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 17:33   #321
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought putting on seat belts in the rear is mandatory in the US! Atleast thats what I remember of it everytime I've visited there over the last 2 decades. Or maybe the State of California has different rules.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 18:11   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear-seat passengers have double responsibility to belt up. It not only protects them, but protects the people sitting in front of them. A back-seat passenger can easily become killer.

It's been said many times, but can't be said too many times.

You all know the British Public-Service ad on the subject. And if you don't, you should

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th December 2020 at 18:12.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 21:20   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Buckle up, guys, even on the backseat. My brother-in-law was returning from a Californian pub and was seated on the backseat of his Uber. Another car hit them from the right side. The side airbags popped open which saved by BIL on the right side, but due to the sheer impact, he was then thrown to the left side of the car and hit his head on the left window.

Hi GTO, the exact same type of accident (T-bone impact) happened to my parents, Back in 1988 in Perth, Australia, My Dad's friend was driving a Mercedes Benz S-Class (W126), my parents were returning home after dinner. My dad was in the front passenger seat and my mom was pregnant with my elder brother, she is seated in the rear seat with seat belts on. She made sure she wore a seat belt even though she was pregnant (I saw few women these days giving excuses to wear a seat belt when they are pregnant as it might press the belly and affect the fetus, but that's not true, it will hold a person intact during any collision and it does more good than bad at all times, my dad always narrates this incident to my cousins too - to always be belted), So this Mercedes Benz S-class was going straight on a green signal, and a drunk Ford Falcon Taxi driver jumped the signal and rammed into the rear passenger side of this Mercedes, the complete front end of the Ford Falcon got crumpled and the right rear door of the Mercedes took all the impact, but protected my mother and my unborn elder brother. The door of Mercedes S-class was jammed due to the impact and heat, it had to be welded and cut open and a new door was installed next day at Mercedes Service center (Diesel Motors).

Dad being a doctor got all health checks done to mom and also ultrasound as she's pregnant, luckily there wasn't any issue at all. I'm not sure if the side airbags were there or not, I think there weren't any during those days, but wearing seat belt and a structurally safe car (Mercedes W 126) saved my mom that night. This is the reason my Dad always prefers safe cars, and that's the reason he bought Tata Sierras and Estate (Mercedes - Tata JV with TELCO cars) as soon as he moved to India in 90s, after which I was born, we went to school in these cars and felt very safe during those times. It is very heartening to see Tata and Mahindra focusing on safety of their Indian customers, no matter how safe the cars are and how many safety features they come with, it is our duty to wear seat belts for our own safety.

My mom wore seat belt even when she was pregnant about 30 years back, and it saved her life, what's your excuse?

Now we have an Innova and a Crysta with rear captain seats, so it is very easy for my folks to wear seat belts even in the 2nd row.

Just for reference :

S-Class W126

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-w126_1989560sel102.jpg

Ford Falcon Taxi which T-boned the Merc

Name:  falcon.PNG
Views: 1241
Size:  668.1 KB

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 14th December 2020 at 21:25. Reason: added pictures
WhiteSierra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 13:52   #324
BHPian

Recently I was transferring old images to a portable hard disc and found this picture.

It happened in May 2016 near Navsari [NH-48] while we were returning from Valsad. There were 4 people in the car – Me [driving], sister [front passenger], mother and maternal grandmother in rear seats. I and my sister were buckled up while rear passengers weren’t.

There were 4 cars in line [I was last among them] doing roughly 80-85 kph. We were in the middle lane and one by one all the cars overtook a multi-axle truck only to find a stalled truck on overtaking lane without any hazard lights or sign of it being stationary. The first car managed to stop 2-3 meters from the truck while the other 3 cars got lesser time to react and slammed into each other, I braked hard too but as I was last in the queue had the least time to brake, luckily I was the slowest [thanks to the recent lane change and a car being CNG] and rear-ended the dolphin Honda city which had rear-ended a Bolero.

I vividly remember how my upper body had been stopped by seat belts from going forward and was being bounced back in the seats. My sister was fine as well. Mother had hit my seatback and end up with some blood from nose and teeth and cramp/muscle pain in left hand, luckily no major injuries. Most surprisingly maternal grandmother somehow had a cushion [square car pillow] in her hands and came out with just a little pain in few fingers, maybe the pillow acted as a “ little airbag”?!!

We recovered in no time but Esteem never ran completely trouble-free after that accident and eventually we had to sell it off.

Since then, all the passengers in my car must buckle up if they want a car to be moved.

One more thing I realized from the accident that never keep big/heavy/pointed stuff including idols on the dashboard, it could hurt in such incidents.

Drive safe .

PS. - I had shut off the main CNG valve immediately after the accident.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160515_183454.jpg

Last edited by JJay : 1st March 2021 at 13:54. Reason: Minor correction
JJay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:50   #325
Senior - BHPian

If you have any friends/relatives/colleagues who refuse to buckle up in the rear seat, kindly show the video below at points 3:37 & 5:37.

In both the videos the passenger behind the driver not only has to bear the impact of the accident but also the other passenger falling on them. Better to be safe than sorry. Such impacts can affect the quality of one's life. Don't believe me ? Go visit a hospital and the doctors can show plenty of cases.
On a side note in the 3:37 , I believe the woman is the mother of the child. Despite her being seriously injured, she checks her child first. A mother's love for the child is unconditional and the purest form of love .

Last edited by TrackDay : 1st March 2021 at 14:58.
TrackDay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 19:13   #326
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This simple safety device saved me from injuries earlier today, and I'm so glad that the authorities have made rear seatbelts mandatory, even in cabs.

Had to go someplace with impossible parking, so called for an Uber. I usually (like 90% of the time) sit on the front seat only, but for no particular reason, I jumped on the backseat of this Dzire Uber and was off. Buckled up, I did what most passengers do in a cab = I was on my smartphone. 10 minutes into the drive, I heard a loud crashing sound and was thrown toward the front. Luckily, the seatbelt grabbed me and I didn't smash my head into the back of the front seat. Because of the loud thud & severe jolt, I was disoriented for a few seconds, then realised what was happening. My Uber driver rammed his cab into an XUV500 waiting at the traffic signal. He basically drove straight into a stationary vehicle.

Have a sore left shoulder since afternoon. The shoulder was already sore from a gym injury. Happy to have walked away otherwise unscathed.

This was a low speed crash, little more than a fender bender, yet the impact was strong. I can only imagine what people have been through in more severe accidents. Be safe, guys

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (157) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 20:29   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This simple safety device saved me from injuries earlier today, and I'm so glad that the authorities have made rear seatbelts mandatory, even in cabs.
... Happy to have walked away otherwise unscathed.

This was a low speed crash, little more than a fender bender, yet the impact was strong. I can only imagine what people have been through in more severe accidents. Be safe, guys

Attachment 2399915
Thank you for sharing your personal experience GTO. Coming from a much listened to and credible industry expert like you I hope some more will actually start buckling up when seated at the rear. Even when being driven, and seated at the rear, I always buckle up. Period. If others wish to snigger let them. It doesn't matter if the drive is of 5 minutes or 5 hours. Accidents do not announce their arrival.
V.Narayan is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 23:40   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was a low speed crash, little more than a fender bender, yet the impact was strong.
Most people have banged their head or walked into something. It hurts, right? At walking speed.

I belted up, the other day, to return a borrowed car to my friend's car shed. It was literally around the corner. Whilst that particular corner does happen to be a blind L shape of a corner, I would have done anyway. It's as automatic as starting the engine.

Thank you for sharing the experience. Hope your shoulder gets better very soon.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:33   #329
BHPian

I keep buckling up in the rear seat, whenever there is a seatbelt I can find. I say this, because I see this in several Ola and Uber cabs where the seatbelts have been pushed behind the seats (probably while installing some aftermarket speakers/parking sensors) and I'm unable to pull them out at all. At this stage, the cab has set off, I cannot stop the journey and ask the driver to remove the seats so that I could pull out the seatbelts.
I do not see this issue in most of the fleet taxis that pick up and drop office folks, as I think the rules around the drivers ensuring everybody wears their seatbelts and locking all doors before driving off are generally more rigorously enforced.
Small Bot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 12:20   #330
BHPian

As they say, a seat belt is your best defence against a drunk/drowsy/sleepy/rash driver. More so when that driver is in your own car.
Whenever I sit in Ola/Uber every once in a while I keep checking on the driver. Try to see his eyes from the rear view mirror even though he thinks I may have mine on the phone. It has become a habit from personal experience that it’s been one too many times that I have found them drowsy. Driving for unlimited hours trying to make the extra buck, not realising that they end up putting theirs and the customers life on the line.

Not sure GTO, but could it have been that the driver was behind the wheel for very long hours?

Reports suggest that getting less then 6hours of sleep for one night can lead to 30% drop in day time alertness and increase response time to critical situations.

Why don’t these cab hailing companies work on some facial recognition technology which will only allow a driver to log in / drive for a certain number of hours per day after first logged in?
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks