Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2023, 13:12   #346
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Glad that you and your family made out from what looks like a nasty crash. It was sheer luck I guess and not the build quality; With A pillar sheered off, nothing was left there to protect you other than Luck. If I were you, would chose an actual safer car keeping the emotional value aside for what looks like a totally unsafe car.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 14:08   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very true. The front seat occupants were injured ONLY because of the unbelted rear seat passengers. Ordinarily, a 100-130 km/hr crash in a GLC would be nothing for properly belted in front seat occupants; they would have walked away unaided.
You are correct about seat belts. However, you are severely underestimating the impact of a crash at 130kmph. Most vehicles would not be able to prevent injuries if the crash takes place at such a high speed. A person might be driving at 130 but most people apply brakes before a crash and that reduces the speed considerably. If a vehicle actually crashes at 130, it becomes a crumbled heap of metal. Even in the instance above, the driver was driving at 100kmph but fell asleep. That means the speed likely dropped by at least 20 to 30kmph before the crash.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 15:39   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Glad that you and your family made out from what looks like a nasty crash. It was sheer luck I guess and not the build quality; With A pillar sheered off, nothing was left there to protect you other than Luck. If I were you, would chose an actual safer car keeping the emotional value aside for what looks like a totally unsafe car.
Although I agree that the driver survived due to sheer luck and not due to the car's build quality, I disagree that there is any 'safer car' out there that would have saved the driver in the absence of the truck's spare tire. No car in the world is designed, crash-tested, or safety rated for truck underrides. Such a car would require a lot of reinforcement in the pillars, bonnet and roof.

The solution accepted across the world is to install underride protection devices (UPDs) in all trucks. However, just installing one is not enough. Such devices should meet the standard specifications for force absorption. Unfortunately, most such devices in India are not built as per the standards.

Then there is a question of the standards themselves. The IS14812 standard for RUPDs in India was last revised in 2005. The forces generated by modern cars have long surpassed the standard requirements. I have seen this for almost a decade in countless crashes where the UPDs either break or shear due to car impacts.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 15:58   #349
BHPian

That was a horrific crash.

Glad to know all of you are safe. Nth lesson for everyone to belt up whether you are the driver or passenger, front or rear seats.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 17:11   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Again, spot on! That horizontally mounted stepney 'steered' away your vehicle and prevented a terrible under-run. However, I feel the under-run bar was good quality too - SATRAC vehicles are usually scientifically designed and built.
This is damage to the truck tyre. Yes Stepney certainly helped car push away from the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-img20220416wa0013.jpg  

speed79 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 07:21   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Although I agree that the driver survived due to sheer luck and not due to the car's build quality, I disagree that there is any 'safer car' out there that would have saved the driver in the absence of the truck's spare tire. No car in the world is designed, crash-tested, or safety rated for truck underrides. Such a car would require a lot of reinforcement in the pillars, bonnet and roof.

The solution accepted across the world is to install underride protection devices (UPDs) in all trucks. However, just installing one is not enough. Such devices should meet the standard specifications for force absorption. Unfortunately, most such devices in India are not built as per the standards.

Then there is a question of the standards themselves. The IS14812 standard for RUPDs in India was last revised in 2005. The forces generated by modern cars have long surpassed the standard requirements. I have seen this for almost a decade in countless crashes where the UPDs either break or shear due to car impacts.
I agree that all trucks must have the under running bars. We had cars like Fiat Punto and Linea which had one of the best build quality and in many cases, there cabin had remained intact after going under truck/ fully loaded dumper tipping over them/ head on collision with truck / heck even after hit by a train! . My point being, we cant rely on government or truckers for our safety solely. The primary responsibility is ours and we can do it by choosing a proven safe car.

Not a direct comparison by any means but a safer car makes a lot of difference: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/...-in-the-uk?amp

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th January 2023 at 07:23.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 17:50   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Although I agree that the driver survived due to sheer luck and not due to the car's build quality, I disagree that there is any 'safer car' out there that would have saved the driver in the absence of the truck's spare tire. No car in the world is designed, crash-tested, or safety rated for truck underrides. Such a car would require a lot of reinforcement in the pillars, bonnet and roof..
Actually, most modern cars are safer. The Safari is a ladder-frame chassis with the body not being as structurally sound or well-engineered as newer monocoques. You will not see this kind of isolated A pillar deformation so easily with a modern monocoque, all other things being equal. This is exclusively the domain of ladder-frames like the Safari, Scorpio, Innova, etc.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:37   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
In mid-April 2022, me, wife and two kids (8 and 13) while going on a trip of over 5k kms from Bangalore - Delhi - Bangalore, I slept at wheel just after 200 kms from Bangalore and rear ended a truck at about 7:00 AM. I had been driving at about 100-110 kmph. As a result of the impact with truck, Storme was pushed to the left, it jumped the road shoulder, went into the field and stopped against a small tree. All of us were belted. It was seat belts, strong build of Storme and a lot of luck that we had survived the accident. I had fracture (meta carpels 3, 4 and 5) and a deep cut in my right arm (can't post the horrible picture of the cut) and some cuts and bruises on forehead, face and right hand. Kids and wife were thankfully unhurt except for the trauma of the accident and some hurt in chest due to seatbelt. Wife probably hurt her head against door and had sever pain for few days.

Now every time my daughter (now 9 years old) sits in car (on rear seat), she reaches out for the seat belt. In the hindsight, everyone wearing the seatbelts was the best decision. And not getting proper sleep the night before travel was the worst. I did not even realise and the sleep had me.
First of all, I wish and pray you and family are fully fine now. I hope you all start safe travel soon with happy memories.

Very recently, I completed a trip of 5k kms to Rajasthan and apart from all the travel thrills and excitement the most important feeling is being grateful to God.

I now feel happy to develop the habit of reading/discussing daily news and current affairs with my son and how things connect. Immediately after we discussed the unfortunate news of Cyrus Mistry, he decided that he would start wearing rear seat belt irrespective of the distance and speed. During the Rajasthan trip many times police stopped for a check-up and without even looking at rear seat I knew he was wearing it. Kids teach us more than other way round.

Take care.
pravs3012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 11:34   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This simple safety device saved me from injuries earlier today, and I'm so glad that the authorities have made rear seatbelts mandatory, even in cabs.
I usually don't wear seatbelts when sitting in the rear seats in a cab and I've been ignorant so far, till I read this post and thought I should make this a habit.

Day 1 of wearing rear seatbelt, in a late night cab from Bangalore Airport to City, the cab driver took the hennur road and at a junction a bike from the right caught the cab driver off-guard and he hit the brakes hard and the cab driver (who wasn't wearing the seatbelt) hit himself in the steering wheel. Luckily, the seatbelt saved me from hitting the front seat and saved me from injury.

Defintely wearing rear seatbelts on cabs from now on, everyday!
vignesh207 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:32   #355
BHPian

Quote:
(I have dashcam footage of the crash)
Very glad that you and your family are safe.
Could you please share, if its not a concern and if it doesn't violate any norms of the forum.

Having a visual in mind, will keep us more alert while driving.
Most of the videos in the forum had helped me/many of us, to mentally prepare for unknowns, while driving on our roads.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 12th January 2023 at 15:01.
Old 12th January 2023, 15:53   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One of my best driving gurus used to drill this into me. Especially on long journeys, people relax when nearly home. She told me, "You have not reached home until you walk in your front door."
A very good advice from your Guru
I remember reading this from one of your earlier posts as well. In the last year or so, my wife always thanks me (for a safe journey) after a long out-station trip, just when we are entering Bangalore city. And I always quip 'Dont thank me yet. Thank me after we have reached home'
I was wondering where I picked this response from. Now I remember
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 00:07   #357
BHPian

Quote:
In mid-April 2022, me, wife and two kids (8 and 13) while going on a trip of over 5k kms from Bangalore - Delhi - Bangalore, I slept at wheel just after 200 kms from Bangalore and rear ended a truck at about 7:00 AM. I had been driving at about 100-110 kmph.
Scary as hell, but super glad that all of you made it out of the wreck with only minor injuries, given the seriousness of the incident. You certainly had some guardian angels working the night shift, watching over you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One of my best driving gurus used to drill this into me. Especially on long journeys, people relax when nearly home. She told me, "You have not reached home until you walk in your front door."

For this thread, I'd add, to keep your seat belt on until your car is properly parked. It hasn't reached home until it is in its parking place with the engine off and the brake on!
Very sensible advice. At driving schools here, it's the first thing that is mandated to new students; step 1 is to adjust the seats, step 2 is to adjust the mirrors, step 3 is to belt up (steps 1 and 2 require more freedom, so best to get it done before belting up), and step 4 is turning the key.

The other drill that I like very much is the 'May I blink' routine, for starting from standstill say from a parking spot or sidewalk; you say out aloud, 'May' and check the mirrors, you say "I" and check the blindspot, and only when it's clear, you say 'blink' and turn on the blinkers before rolling out onto the road, from the sidewalk. The 'May I blink' routine ensures that we make it a habit to never simply pull out into traffic, or put on the blinkers without first checking for traffic behind and in the blindspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh207 View Post
I usually don't wear seatbelts when sitting in the rear seats in a cab and I've been ignorant so far, till I read this post and thought I should make this a habit.
Definitely wearing rear seatbelts on cabs from now on, everyday!
Most cabs in India tend to cut off the seatbelts from the rearseats entirely, or to install a seatcover, over the seatbelts. I saw this on many uber vehicles in Blr, during my last visit. Unless the government actually orders a drive against such practices, this is likely going to be the standard situation.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th January 2023 at 07:26. Reason: Quote tags fixed
supermax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 13:39   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Most cabs in India tend to cut off the seatbelts from the rearseats entirely, or to install a seatcover, over the seatbelts. I saw this on many uber vehicles in Blr, during my last visit. Unless the government actually orders a drive against such practices, this is likely going to be the standard situation.
I agree cabbies removing/hiding rear seatbelts is quite common in Bangalore. Even my office cars/taxis have pushed the rear seat belts below the seat base .

You would think educated folks, that too with the mandatory audible seat-belt reminder for both driver and front passenger will belt up. Nope. Recently, I saw a well-educated, young neighbor and his partner keep their front seatbelts always buckled up (Nissan Magnite) and sit on top of it when they drive-off . What I'm trying to say is, Govt can only do so much through legislation and laws; It will work only if people value their life and their loved ones lives.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 14:08   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
What I'm trying to say is, Govt can only do so much through legislation and laws; It will work only if people value their life and their loved ones lives.
So very true! It's a travesty that we still have to resort to arm-twisting, to get people to belt up, or wear a helmet. And this attitude by our countrymen doesn't disappear in a hurry, even when they move abroad. I have Indian friends living here who don't belt up in the rear seat, when they travel in their own car. When they travel in mine, I'm polite but firm, and don't turn the key till everyone is belted in. As part of our driving test requirements, we undergo a step called Risk 2 training, which comprises of rapid acceleration and hard, emergency style braking, in various simulated weather conditions, corresponding to summer, wet, and icy conditions. The first hand experience of the violence of the sudden braking from higher speeds is enough to convince us once and for all that nobody in our cars should ever ride unbelted. This fact boggles my mind extra hard when I see my riends who've undergone the same course as I, not insisting that their wives in the backseat be belted in! Some things just don't change!
supermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 17:23   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
The other drill that I like very much is the 'May I blink' routine, for starting from standstill say from a parking spot or sidewalk; you say out aloud, 'May' and check the mirrors, you say "I" and check the blindspot, and only when it's clear, you say 'blink' and turn on the blinkers before rolling out onto the road, from the sidewalk. The 'May I blink' routine ensures that we make it a habit to never simply pull out into traffic, or put on the blinkers without first checking for traffic behind and in the blindspot.
That is a nice way but out here in the concrete jungle that is ruled by chaos, it's mostly "May they brake" and just blindly merge onto the traffic whether it be from a side road or from parking, it's just merge as if the world will come to a stop for them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks