Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 19:46   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Do you guys have any good way of convincing people to wear seatbelts? Especially the older crowd who can easily get offended when requested.
You can tell them your car won't start unless the seatbelts are worn; one of those 'advanced safety features' built in the car. You don't have to turn the key until they wear it. At least that's what I do when my folks are here. Works every time.
Gannu_1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:03   #167
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What one does need to make clear is it's not an option to belt up because an un-belted passenger isn't a hazard just to themselves, but can be a fatal projectile to ones around them in case of a shunt.
Absolutely.

Here's another very unfortunate incident that illustrates this : Link

Maybe sharing the link can be used for education in extreme cases.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th November 2015 at 21:08. Reason: I guess Chetan_Rao's post was spawned because of this discussion, but leaving the link since the posts have been moved.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:18   #168
Senior - BHPian

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
The fact is it's very difficult to convince people to wear seatbelts. They just laugh over it and say that nothing is gonna happen. Even my mom wears it only on insisting several times. Do you guys have any good way of convincing people to wear seatbelts? Especially the older crowd who can easily get offended when requested.

Hi

My story has been shared on the first page of this thread. So I have had first hand experience of seat belts saving my life. It's been a long time. 6 years.

The incident has made me wear my seat belts every single time I get into the driving seat of my car. When I say every single time I mean 'every single time' even if it is for a kilometer drive. Yes. That is the effect the accident had on me.

But obviously not everyone shares the same frame of mind when they sit beside me. So I have to convince them to wear the belt. Not many are keen on wearing the seat belts because you know this is how we are. 'Chalta hai' attitude is an innate quality we all possess.

So This is how I or rather my ride does it. 2011 i20 top models (the ones I own) came with an irritating alarm which would go off after crossing speeds of 20 kmph. The alarm is so annoying and it's fun to see their reactions when they see no other option but to wear the belt.

It's noise to them but music to my ears since I know that both of us are safe.

P.s: I feel all cars should have the annoying alarm feature. It stings me when people abuse and call this feature stupid. I mean this feature is there to save your life. Endless meaningless debates happen. Most people say Seat belts are not for city drives. Makes me laugh and cry at the same time. We will only learn when it happens to us. I must say that's not the best way to learn and not always are we lucky.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th November 2015 at 21:21.
Pancham is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 22:14   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys have any good way of convincing people to wear seatbelts? Especially the older crowd who can easily get offended when requested.
You tell them it isn't an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You can tell them your car won't start unless the seatbelts are worn ... ... ...
You can tell them you won't start unless seatbelts are worn!

Actually, my seat-belt habit is so engrained that it is a nuisance sometimes. Like, after opening the compound gate, I reverse out, then have to get out and close the gate. I find I had put my belt on! Completely automatic, even when I don't mean to!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 00:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
P.S: Another thing I noticed was when car accessory shops put on seat covers (even the posh leather ones) they some how manage to tuck the rear seat belt points(the red object where you insert the clip). This is atrocious. I mean they take it for granted that the owner will never use the seat belts. There was this situation where a former friend was driving very rashly with the city and I was in the back seat shouting at him to slow down and I was scared, very scared. I tried to buckle up. I pulled the belt but could not find the red point to put it into. It was neatly tucked into the seats.
The same thing was done in my alto k10. I will have to take them out. My chauffeur asked me not to. He said the clips will poke and hurt when someone sits in the rear bench.
Old 12th December 2015, 11:50   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
The same thing was done in my alto k10. I will have to take them out. My chauffeur asked me not to. He said the clips will poke and hurt when someone sits in the rear bench.
Often it is possible to remove the rear seat bottom and pull in the red seatbelt receptors through the gap where the seat back and the bottom seat cushion meet. This eliminates the need to cut the seat cover and can be a useful short term solution.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 09:58   #172
BHPian

Yes.Rear seat belt receptors have been tucked somewhere below the bottom seat cushion by the seat cover people in my car also.Thus the purpose is not served,as I am unable to enforce seat belt rule for rear passengers.
Whats the procedure to remove seat bottom and pullout the red receptacles.? Can it be done at home?
Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 15:13   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear passenger seat belt incident on 19th December 2015: Last night I was driving an XC60 in the semi-rural/semi-urban areas of Gurgaon district at about 70 kmph late at night. My in-laws aged 89 and 85 were at the rear properly buckled up. Wifey in front. And suddenly I jammed the brakes because of a monster speed breaker that loomed up which for some reason I had not spotted through my headlights in time. Thankfully the seat belts kept both the elderly passengers in check - in fact the belts tightened instantly and literally locked the passengers in place! If they had gone lurching forward and hit the front seats it may not have been a pretty picture given that both, especially my mother-in-law, are quite frail. Ordinary enough situation, nothing spectacular but the humble seat belt helped. So if you plan to drive above 50 kmph buckling up at the rear helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 22:02   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Rear passenger seat belt incident on 19th December 2015: .
Can relate to this. Dad, wifey, SIL and I were going to hometown in the nano. I was repeatedly telling the girls to wear their lap belts. My SIL was sitting cross-legged on the seat, ignoring my requests. Sometime later, when Dad was driving and he saw a reason to brake abruptly. Heard a whoosh and thud from behind. When I looked back, I saw my SIL extracting herself from the rear footwell. It looked funny then and also served as a first hand lesson to her atleast.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 23:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

I work as a Engine / generator technical personnel with a company. I work in different countries, environment, conditions, I am on the road to reach customer place.

Safety and security is the first thing we have to check before commencing.

Safety training is must every year.

The bottom line is - we have 2 helmets and riding jackets, whenever inside the car all passangers are buckled up whatever be the speed or whatever be the distance. PRS is a must.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 09:10   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

Safety and security is the first thing we have to check before commencing.

Safety training is must every year.
This has started in India in some MNCs too. I am proud that i work for a company where safety is primary. We have presence in 90 countries and Safety is the first priority every time. All activities are preceded by safety assessment and a tool box talk.

For vehicles we have the following rules
  • Vehicle Speed of 20 KMPH inside the plant and colony premises.
  • All two wheeler drivers and pillions have to wear helmets.
  • All person in the car have to wear seat belt , front and rear. In fact we are not supposed to hire a taxi without seat belt.
  • No use of mobile phone while driving any vehicle. Even while walking if you get a call then you need to stand at a safe place and talk.
  • Reverse camera/ horn/sound is a must for four wheeler.
  • Registration and Insurance checked every year.
  • Lights ON at all times in plant when vehicle is moving.
  • All vehicles are parked front facing the exit.
  • Separate pedestrian pathway at all locations.

It was a tough task to implement in remote areas around our country, but now all locals and contractors who work here also follow these rules because the company has made it clear that no unsafe behavior will be accepted.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:45   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

My Brother in law used to work for an oil giant in GGN, and he once told me that there was a severe reprimand, even firing, provision if you were found taking concalls while driving. Seemed a little out there at first.
Old 17th February 2016, 00:37   #178
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

SEATBELTS all around, no other option.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.07.49-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.08.14-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.08.28-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.08.39-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.08.54-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.09.07-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.09.21-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.09.39-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.09.54-pm.png

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-screen-shot-20160216-7.10.09-pm.png

Source : Facebook
ecenandu is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 17:15   #179
BHPian

My parents had the trauma of going through a near fatal road accident. My Dad was driving the car and mother was co-passenger.
My marriage was scheduled for 11th March. Religious ceremonies ensured that both the families were awake till 12th early morning. Mom and dad had gone for performing religious ceremonies in the morning.
Accident happened on 12th March, 2016 10:30 AM.

Dad fell asleep on the steering wheel. our speed would have been ~ 60-70 Km. I20 bore the brunt of head on collision with a trailer(16 tire truck). Car swung 360 in the air before landing in a pit. Car had just one airbag which deployed to save dad from severe chest injuries. Dad has a hairline fracture in hand along with bruises and swelling in chest area. Mom has a hairline fracture in one of the ribs and body aches. Luckily, both of them were discharged from hospital the same day.

Attaching pics for your reference.
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132043.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132053.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132103.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132114.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132207.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132223.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132318.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132320.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132330.jpg
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-20160312_132334.jpg
OTR car (2012): I20 p sportz, 5.8 L
Repair Cost: 7.7 L

Lesson learnt: Never underestimate the importance of sleep. Buckle up as soon as u enter the car.

RIP I20, u shall be missed!

Last edited by bblost : 24th March 2016 at 18:53. Reason: Edited the post to show that it was thankfully a "near fatal" and not fatal accident.
abhipuri is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 18:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
My parents had the trauma of going through a fatal road accident.
Reading this I was shocked you mean near fatal road accident. Fatal implies that your parents didn't make it. I'm glad to hear that they did. The car looks like it was hit pretty bad. Lack of sleep is definitely something everyone must take into consideration when going on long journeys. I myself have had near misses on one journey where I had stayed up all night and decided to drive to Bangalore from Hyderabad in the afternoon. Thankfully not everyone in the car was as stupid as me and they had all got their sleep so I pulled over to the side and handed the keys to a friend. That was enough to teach me a lesson.

PS: 60-70 kph seems about right mate never usually hear a realistic estimate. You should look into buying a car that performs well at small frontal offset impact tests

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th March 2016 at 18:36.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks