Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Drive Safe

Old 19th June 2019, 13:02   #511
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Safe Driving in the Rains

Thank you so much for this post! I have made a note of all these tips because, tomorrow morning, I start on a driving trip from Bombay to Goa (and maybe beyond).

I will be driving in a Tata Nano. I intended to take the scenic NH66 but I heard that it is in a bad shape. So the scenic drive has gone for a toss. I will take the Bangalore highway and hopefully get beautiful roads at Chorla Ghat etc.
sjain2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 14:58   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Lights, literally, only go so far. When the rain is like rods from the sky, no light is going to penetrate it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 17:17   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Lights, literally, only go so far. When the rain is like rods from the sky, no light is going to penetrate it.
Rains or Fog, the biggest mistake I see most drivers make is to switch over to the highest available beams with a hope that they will be able get best visibility but that is not true at all. As you mention, no matter how powerful the light is, if you are not able to see what is right ahead of you at ground level, you are merely illuminating the rain drops or fog and nothing else!

I always drive on Low Beams when it is raining heavily and if need be, I also switch to high beams once in a while BUT I adjust the beam position (Headlamp leveller) to the lowest position.

You can notice in the previous page the video of driving in heavy rains at night with a basic headlamp set-up.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 11:39   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Rains or Fog, the biggest mistake I see most drivers make is to switch over to the highest available beams with a hope that they will be able get best visibility but that is not true at all. As you mention, no matter how powerful the light is, if you are not able to see what is right ahead of you at ground level, you are merely illuminating the rain drops or fog and nothing else!
I don't know if it was mentioned here before - there is another safety tip: if it has been raining cats and dogs for some time, I tend to drive in the middle of the road. If you drive too far in the left, the accumulated water and the sand will make you skid and you might end up in the ditch if in plains or in the valley if in hills. On the other hand if you are in a two way road with no median, some crackpot may come speeding on to you if you are on the right side.

I have had a car rammed into my car's rear during a storm. Fortunately Tata had better steel than the other car.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 11:46   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
On the other hand if you are in a two way road with no median, some crackpot may come speeding on to you if you are on the right side.
And even when on a dual carriageway with a median, if you are closer to the median, water logging will give you some moments to remember when your car experiences acquaplaning! Not to forget that huge splash of water once in a while thrown right onto your windscreen by an oncoming heavy vehicle driven next to the median on the other side.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote