Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2020, 08:02   #526
BHPian

re: Safe Driving in the Rains

I used Proklear NGS (Nano Glass Sealant) on my WagonR for 3 good years before selling it off. It served the purpose really well. The need, thus frequency of using wipers reduced during the rainy seasons (city+highways). It also helped a little bit to cut the glare at nights. No negative impact on the windshield observed. Would definitely recommend it!
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 15:41   #527
GTB
BHPian

Thanks, GTO for the informative thread. I was about to request this after reading recently posted Morning or evening drive thread.

Could any of our members give few tips for enthusiasts for lite wet roads? Thanks.

It is unfortunate that this thread is already flooded with too my posts and one has to read all of them, just in case any Bhpian contributed useful information.
Old 21st June 2020, 16:07   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Could any of our members give few tips for enthusiasts for lite wet roads? Thanks.
Drive slowly; keep double the distance from vehicle in front. End of advice.

Quote:
It is unfortunate that this thread is already flooded with too my posts and one has to read all of them, just in case any Bhpian contributed useful information.
It's a forum. That's what happens.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 18:29   #529

For fogging windshield, I keep a garland of silica gel packs on my dashboard. Works like magic! No fogging since last 3 monsoons.
Pintz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:30   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
I think we're pretty fortunate to have so much information at our disposal!
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:19   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintz View Post
For fogging windshield, I keep a garland of silica gel packs on my dashboard. Works like magic! No fogging since last 3 monsoons.
Wow! That's interesting. Did you do a DYI to make it as 'Garland' OR is it available off the shelf?

If possible, could you please share a picture.
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:03   #532
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. The details are really informative.
The thing that worries me the most is the water logging, with Indian roads we can never be sure about its depth and the worst thing that can hepen is the car getting stalled in the middle of a puddle. So as rightly mentioned - take an alternate route.
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:37   #533
HTC
BANNED

Not sure if this is mentioned before. This is on taking care during monsoon than driving in rain. One of my uncle told me this.

Tip: Avoid driving or road trips during fist few days of rains. This is to avoid dangers by falling trees, land slides, slippery road due to oil spills which is not washed over yet etc.
All these hazards will occur mostly during first few rains and its relatively safer later on.

Hope this helps.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 18:06   #534
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
I used Proklear NGS (Nano Glass Sealant) on my WagonR for 3 good years before selling it off. It served the purpose really well. The need, thus frequency of using wipers reduced during the rainy seasons (city+highways). It also helped a little bit to cut the glare at nights. No negative impact on the windshield observed. Would definitely recommend it!
Is this the one: https://www.amazon.in/Proklear-Winds.../dp/B00QMMQGVM
Old 25th June 2020, 19:24   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Yes, That is the one. Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully.

If you are also going to try out the "Free" anti-fog product then be extra careful as it hazes the windshield from inside affecting the visibility if applied incorrectly. It is not an easy product to apply. One can achieve perfection through trial and error method only.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 19:26   #536
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Yes, That is the one. Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully.

If you are also going to try out the "Free" anti-fog product then be extra careful as it hazes the windshield from inside affecting the visibility if applied incorrectly. It is not an easy product to apply. One can achieve perfection through trial and error method only.
Can you please explain the application process?
Old 29th June 2020, 19:33   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Can you please explain the application process?
Apologies man, I don't remember the process anymore. I would follow the instructions mentioned on the label and in case of doubts, would get in touch with the manufacturer before the application.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:18   #538
BHPian

Yes,mithun, as MunnabhaiMBBS says, simply follow the instructions -- clean surfaces with soapy water, apply pre-cleaner, wipe, and apply the actual solution. I vaguely remember having done that some 4-5 years ago !

Though I beg to differ on one point -- I found the anti fog more useful, and later bought a bigger pack from AMAZON.IN. Still use it every few days before driving in the rains, particularly on the rear glass.
Old 13th December 2020, 15:39   #539
BANNED

Re: Safe Driving in the Rains

These are some tips that might be helpful while driving in heavy rains:-

1.Take your time- Slow down to help avoid hydroplaning. Also, one of the most dangerous
times to drive can be soon after it begins to rain. The rain can cause oils on a roadway to
rise to the surface and make conditions slick. Waiting a while after rains begin, rather than rushing to your destination, can be a safer plan when it is raining.

2.Turn your lights on- Turning on your headlights can help you to see more clearly and also helps other vehicles see you.

3.Give other vehicles more space- Add 1-2 extra seconds of following time in the rain, which gives you, and the cars behind you, more time to react to traffic.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:12   #540
BHPian

Re: Safe Driving in the Rains

With the monsoons arriving soon, I thought to bump this thread up. Which rain water repellant is recommended to be used on windshield and rear view mirror and how to apply it ? Any tips and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance. Drive safe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks