Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 09:00   #541
BHPian

Re: Safe Driving in the Rains

One practice I follow during rains is to drive/ride in a higher gear than normally I would do.

Particularly while riding bike, helps in reducing torque at the wheel thereby reducing chances of wheel spin.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th June 2021 at 09:33. Reason: typo
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:04   #542
BHPian

MASSIVE thank you to GTO for this absolutely essential thread!

A couple of pointers that I sincerely hope will be of use to you especially for driving in Mumbai rains (because no driving school can prep you for Mumbai driving):

1) Mentally map out the flooded areas: Whenever there is a heavy downpour it is a given that certain areas like Hindmata, Milind Andheri Subway are going to get completely submerged. If you do plan to go to these areas, best to avoid it during rainy seasons

2) Parking at questionable areas: While you can never be too sure what is lurking underneath the surface, if you feel a tree or any vertically large object is a danger, steer clear. Someone in my building lost their near brand new Seltos because he parked under a visibly weak tree. You can check out the video of a Hyundai Venue being swallowed whole by the ground on the forum too!

3) Fog lights: I'm especially a fan of using fog lights while driving during downpours for mainly 2 two reasons. 1) Fog lights given their position are affixed at the lower-end of the bumper meaning that they won't necessarily blind motorists in the opposite direction 2) Given the low position their focus is at the bottom of the roads making it easier to sight potholes, tar deposits, etc (a usual sight on WEH/EEH).

4) Seating position: While we all have been guilty of reclining the seat back, in monsoon a more upright can be a boon. A more upright position might help you spot the road ahead a bit better. However, this is NOT to be done at the cost of driving ergonomics and safety.

5) Traffic signal changes: We all have been in that position when the traffic lights turned Amber and the Bruce Willis fan within us says to floor the gas pedal and barely scrape by the signal before it turns red. This is a BIG NO during rains as 1) you never know if there is someone impatient around the corner who has already set off in your direction 2) wet braking levels on crossroads especially are bad (in reference to GTO's point of there being lesser grip levels on painted surfaces).

6) Empathy: A little consideration goes a long way and mentally also keeps you calm during rainy Mumbai drives. Definitely consider investing in something like mudflaps if you haven't so already because in rains that is probably the biggest courtesy to the drivers/riders behind you.

Drive Safe guys!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:40   #543

The first two points about being considerate to pedestrians and two wheelers made by GTO in the first post of this thread in 2008 remain the two most important (and most neglected too) for driving in the rains.
Old 16th June 2021, 13:42   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Preparing your car for the monsoons

• Your tyres must have at least 2 - 3 mm of tread left, and should be inflated to the manufacturer recommended levels. Driving on tires that are over or under-inflated can prove to be dangerous, even on dry tarmac.
+1 on this. These days I have a portable compressor in the car at all times. In case of a flat, this is really helpful as it happened to me a couple of times. Fortunately, the rains held off for a bit. Rgds, Bsimhan
Old 16th June 2021, 15:37   #545
Senior - BHPian

This thread is well documented now.

Just adding few from my experience.

1. Drive at 40 kmph through full wet or damped tarmac. This will provide ideal grip and traction. Good for braking too.

2. Reduce the tyre pressure by 2 psi for additional contact patch hence more grip. But should strictly follow max speed 40 kmph rule.

3. Switch on parking/city lamp. If rain is heavy turn on low beam too (along with fogs if available).

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 16th June 2021, 15:41   #546
HTC
BANNED

One tip my relative gave me regarding driving in rainy season is as follows,

Never plan or at least try to avoid road trips during first 2 weeks after monsoon onset. Reason being,
  • Majority of the unstable trees which are meant to fall or dead branches which are hanging in there
  • Loose rocks and boulders which are meant to dislodge, land slips which are ready for action

All these most probably occur during first two weeks of rain. Post that it is relatively safer to travel. And I believe in his words as he had extensive travel experience across north indian mountains due to the nature of his work.

Stay safe and keep riding.
-HTC
HTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:22   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
1. Drive at 40 kmph through full wet or damped tarmac. This will provide ideal grip and traction. Good for braking too.
Remember that even a wet road, let alone one with water on it, greatly increases one's stopping distance. In many circumstances, 40 might be too fast, in others it might be fine. If you have the space.

Whatever speed one would drive on the dry road, reduce it if the road is wet.

If driving through more water than a puddle, drive dead slow in high gear: keep the car slow but the revs high.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:08   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Remember that even a wet road, let alone one with water on it, greatly increases one's stopping distance. In many circumstances, 40 might be too fast, in others it might be fine. If you have the space.
Yes I was referring to maximum speed. I totally agree to the point that we should maintain adequate space to the vehicle in front.

Here in Delhi it is always a little bit free flowing traffic during rain (until and unless approaching some underpasses prone to flooding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
So keeping headlights on is well advised - plus fogs if you have them and the rain is really heavy.
Yes I always keep my low beams and fogs on while driving in rain.

Last edited by myavu : 16th June 2021 at 18:20.
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:15   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
3. Switch on parking/city lamp. If rain is heavy turn on low beam too (along with fogs if available).
Don’t think you should ever drive with only parking lights on without headlights (on low beam off course). In most parts of the world, use of headlights is mandatory if it is raining - and our monsoon rains are heavier than anything you see there. So keeping headlights on is well advised - plus fogs if you have them and the rain is really heavy.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:53   #550
S2K
BHPian

I would like to understand from other informed members of the forum, and I think this is the apt thread for it.

What to do when there is lot of thunder and lightning strikes happening that you can see and you are on road?

Case in point, for last two weeks in the Mumbai-Konkan region, there has been steady increase in rainfall since arrival of the monsoon. In the initial days, the rains were not heavy however, there was a lot of thunder and lightning. So much that, I might have witnessed a few lightning touchdowns happening within a few KMs of radius from my place in a time span of couple of hours.
As a trend, I have noticed lightning strikes happening more and more. And hence, this question, or rather, this fear remains in my mind.

Is there a risk of lightning strike happening on a car?
Is there an indirect risk of lightning strike happening on a larger vehicle like a container truck passing next to you and thereby causing damages?
Is the risk higher on open highways or open hilly terrain than in cities?
How do we reduce the risk?
And most of all, what is the ideal behaviour in such situations?
Old 17th June 2021, 12:18   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post

Never plan or at least try to avoid road trips during first 2 weeks after monsoon onset. .

Stay safe and keep riding.
-HTC
To add to this great advice. The first few rains of the season make the roads very slippery. The tyre dust, oily stuff, soot etc get dislodged from the small crevices on the road surface and accumulate on the road. This is especially dangerous for 2 wheelers. After a few good showers this stuff gets washed away.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 15:35   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t think you should ever drive with only parking lights on without headlights (on low beam off course). In most parts of the world, use of headlights is mandatory if it is raining - and our monsoon rains are heavier than anything you see there. So keeping headlights on is well advised - plus fogs if you have them and the rain is really heavy.
In the old days in GB (decades ago), side lights, as they were known then, were used alone on urban, and other, roads that had street lighting. Then the official recommendation became to use dipped headlights. This was adopted by the people almost totally, to the point where sidelights are thought of as parking lights.

I don't know if it mandatory in daylight rain. But any reduction of visibility calls for compensation.
Old 17th June 2021, 19:50   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Later...

This is what the current British Highway Code says:

Quote:
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced,
generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328
feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch
them off when visibility improves
The Highway Code can be downloaded from: here. It's a good book!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th June 2021 at 19:51.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:30   #554
BHPian

How time keeps flying but this thread lives on. And it shall! My updated tips:

1: I always insist on getting wet weather appropriate tyres. If you don't know what kind of tyre you are running on, Google. Keep a tyre pressure gauge handy. I have had the opportunity of driving the awesome Bridgestone Turanza ER60 & now the ER300 & they go the mile in ensuring comfortable and safe monsoon drives. From my experience, asymmetric and directional treaded tyres have worked best during the rains.

2: Install new wiper blades both front and rear. I am trying the Michelin Rainforce for the first time whereas for the rear got it fitted from Toyota.

3: I am now on the other side of having used all "rain repellant" products. I find them useless!

4: Ensure the car is serviced and everything is in proper working condition. Being mindful always helps. Our vehicles always talk to us, listen to her.

5: And when it really pours and your wiper at full speed doesn't help, pull over. No two ways about it.

6: Last but not the least, cats take shelter inside our parked vehicles. A tap on the body before driving away will do a world of good. We have resident cats & dogs in our society. Jute bags, clean water and food are provided to them at all times.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:00   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Last but not the least, cats take shelter inside our parked vehicles. A tap on the body before driving away will do a world of good. We have resident cats & dogs in our society. Jute bags, clean water and food are provided to them at all times.
I have cats. I like to know where they are before starting the car and moving off, but always sound the horn briefly. Whatever the weather!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks