Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 14:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Reva NXR : Auto Expo 2012

Maybe this is a noob question but still would prefer if someone answers

If I buy Reva and have to charge it daily or alternate days based on my daily runnings I need to use electrical outlet at my home/office (if allowed)

Now going at the rate at which the electric bills are coming what would be my increase in the electric bills i have to bear ?

Cost of Charging per month < = Cost of Fuel (Petrol/Diesel) . How to have an estimate of that ?

We all know to check Diesel Vs Petrol car, but someone has to pay for electricity who will that be ?

As it is we have power outages without 24 hrs supply. Now with electric cars the requirement of electricity will still increase which increases the shortfall.

Ponts to ponder :
Just because the exhaust is clean does it mean clean car ? What about burning of coal to generate electricity (Since max power plants we have are thermal plants, till we go nuclear ) ?

Is it not pollution?

Cheers
MKP
Old 10th January 2013, 17:48   #47
BHPian

Just a pic of the real e2o. The news item says NEMMP launched, but can't make head or tail of the real deal!

Reva NXR : Auto Expo 2012-e2o.jpg
Old 10th January 2013, 20:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Maybe this is a noob question but still would prefer if someone answers

If I buy Reva and have to charge it daily or alternate days based on my daily runnings I need to use electrical outlet at my home/office (if allowed)

Now going at the rate at which the electric bills are coming what would be my increase in the electric bills i have to bear ?

Cost of Charging per month < = Cost of Fuel (Petrol/Diesel) . How to have an estimate of that ?

We all know to check Diesel Vs Petrol car, but someone has to pay for electricity who will that be ?

As it is we have power outages without 24 hrs supply. Now with electric cars the requirement of electricity will still increase which increases the shortfall.

Ponts to ponder :
Just because the exhaust is clean does it mean clean car ? What about burning of coal to generate electricity (Since max power plants we have are thermal plants, till we go nuclear ) ?

Is it not pollution?

Cheers
MKP
You are correct about the production of electricity by burning coal vis-a-vis burning petrol. However, comparing the amount of CO2 generated between the 2 methods, less CO2 is emitted for the energy generated by burning coal than the amount of energy generated by burning petrol.

Secondly, there are solar charging technologies, and I think it is incorporated in the upcoming Reva. That would be the cleanest form of energy storage.

Cost of electricity used to charge the car is far less than the amount of petrol/diesel consumed, however, this saving is offset by the cost of replacement of batteries that might come up in 3-4 years.

So, even if there are no real cost savings, its a cleaner car to use within the city limits.

Charging the car will take about 7-8 hours which can be done overnight. Outages will not affect the charging too much. It might increase the charging length by half-hour or so.

If your office can provide a power outlet, then you may not have to pay for the electricity either!

Prajwal
Old 11th January 2013, 10:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

Secondly, there are solar charging technologies, and I think it is incorporated in the upcoming Reva. That would be the cleanest form of energy storage.
I think there should be more investments in harnessing Solar power, whatever incentive I know is just installation of Solar Water Heaters in Houses/Societies give Property tax benifits.

Quote:
So, even if there are no real cost savings, its a cleaner car to use within the city limits.
No doubt the car would be cleaner to run with no emmissions, I prefer Honda Hydrogen fuel cell cars, which just release water.

Quote:
Charging the car will take about 7-8 hours which can be done overnight. Outages will not affect the charging too much. It might increase the charging length by half-hour or so.

If your office can provide a power outlet, then you may not have to pay for the electricity either!

Prajwal
I recently heard there are companies who provide charging facility at offices, indirectly this incentive works as reserved parking as well since no one would park in the Electric car slot.

Cheers
MKP
Old 11th January 2013, 11:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Why can't these cars come with solar panels on the roof instead of painting the roof black? That would help get the car re-charged wirelessly throughout the day, even if it is running or standing in the sun. Only the differential charge needs to be supplied by the charging plug.

Any idea how much solar power can be harnessed with panels of the size of car roof?
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Why can't these cars come with solar panels on the roof instead of painting the roof black? That would help get the car re-charged wirelessly throughout the day, even if it is running or standing in the sun. Only the differential charge needs to be supplied by the charging plug.

Any idea how much solar power can be harnessed with panels of the size of car roof?
An 1 metre by 1 metre panel I think can generate about 100W (?). Thats the max you can get from the roof mount. For 8 hours it would be about 800W. If you calculate in hp, it would be just above 1hp. How much hp would you need depends on how fast you want to drive. Ant its a few minutes and nothing more.

Last edited by srishiva : 11th January 2013 at 12:36.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 14:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
An 1 metre by 1 metre panel I think can generate about 100W (?). Thats the max you can get from the roof mount. For 8 hours it would be about 800W. If you calculate in hp, it would be just above 1hp. How much hp would you need depends on how fast you want to drive. Ant its a few minutes and nothing more.
Thanks. I was under the wrong impression that the solar panels were much more efficient.

Just like the vacuum tubes to transistors to IC evolution, I hope the solar panels would get much smaller and efficient in future to power the cars from just the roof panels. It could be Japanese again considering the focus Toyota, Honda and Nissan are putting in alternate energy powered vehicles. We are still probably 50 years away from driving a self-powered car with infinite FE.
Old 11th January 2013, 18:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Thanks. I was under the wrong impression that the solar panels were much more efficient.

Just like the vacuum tubes to transistors to IC evolution, I hope the solar panels would get much smaller and efficient in future to power the cars from just the roof panels. It could be Japanese again considering the focus Toyota, Honda and Nissan are putting in alternate energy powered vehicles. We are still probably 50 years away from driving a self-powered car with infinite FE.
Solar panels are amongst the costliest producers of electricity. Had they been efficient I would have covered my home roof with them
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks