Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 11:14   #16
BHPian

re: Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I would gladly pay an additional 2-2.5 lakh over a fully loaded nano amt if it releases with a decently peppy motor with range of about 100-120 km.
As a owner of E2O, I concur with you. In fact, I'd pay a small premium over E2O price (~7Lakhs OTR in Bangalore), for a good Nano Electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
If all goes well, this can be a hybrid. Nano's 660 CC Engine can be the motor that can charge the batteries in case if Tata aims for a longer range. Is it not possible?
Unlikely. Trouble with putting two energy sources is that it increases vehicle weight, reducing range & increasing cost. An EV is best when it has a reasonable daily range, at a reasonable cost.

In future, as Batteries become cheap, it is easier to increase range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A 5-6 lakhs EV Nano is a much better option than the Mahindra E2O or a small 5L hatch like the Celerio or WagonR.
If Nano offers the car at the same OTR (or little above) E2O then they will have a winner in their hands. Lot of people don't like E2O largely because of it's lack of good design and interior comfort. Nano has good design, except it failed due to lack-luster engine and Tata reputation, which can still be a problem.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2016 at 12:54. Reason: Quoted post edited
hkollar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 12:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?

In Indian context - where people can afford multiple cars, the present league of EVs don't make a cut while for the first time buyers, the same set of cars become meaningless because of limited range.

- We have simultaneous parking and pollution problems; the moment policy makers target one, the other balloons up !
- Barring new multi storey societies, charging EVs is not possible as dedicated parking is no available where charging facilities can be created
- The bling and panache of a conventional car is several notches above the EVs which are crude and rudimentary

Even if the Nano is experimented with electric motor, it will not find buyers because of the image of "cheap" car associated with it; sheer marketing negligence Tata's. Tiago ala Kite may still or may be any other upcoming model.

A small petrol motor to charge batteries can be a solution to provide necessary range (multiple charging options - petrol motor and electricity). The IC engine technology has developed a lot in the past decade, the companies can do a tradeoff between range based on pure battery power vis-à-vis a combination of battery + petrol motor combined.

I would any day pick up a car which has a range of 50 km on battery but can provide me extended range based on "on the go" petrol motor to charge the battery / run the car directly when the battery runs out. I do help the pollution to the best of the machine's ability without missing on my comfort / safety of my family because of limited range of pure play battery based car.

Cheers
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 17:51   #18
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?

Here's to hoping that its actually a electric nano. Like many already have pointed out, nano is a good candidate for electrification. I can see good uptake if the price doesn't cross 6L otr in the present ban raj. I think it'll help to train a team of electricians to put an electric charging point in the condos with necessary permitting et al. That's a big hassle that if properly taken care could tip a few folks over.
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 21:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It doesn't look like an EV to me. Why would an EV need Airdams? Could this be the Pelican?
Airdams will keep the nose steady at high speeds. Side air dams may have been just carried over from current design, but I feel cooling is still required for battery and even the electric motor.

I just want Tata to launch electric nano. This will make sure other manufacturers will atleast start thinking to offer electric versions of Spark, Alto, Eon etc.
Old 15th June 2016, 21:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I dont think its a EV. I have seen this vehicle from close and it sounded like petrol engine one. I think this is the pelican mule.

Attachment 1517983
What caught my eye was the strategically placed TBhp watermark. Mods - a clearer picture please.

Any picture showing the exhaust/ tailpipe, or lack thereof.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 12:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I dont think its a EV. I have seen this vehicle from close and it sounded like petrol engine one. I think this is the pelican mule.

Attachment 1517982

Attachment 1517983
This might not be Pelican, the center console on dashboard looks different from the Tiago like dashboard on Pelican.
Old 25th January 2017, 22:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A fresh lease of life for the Tata Nano electric/compressed-air variants?

The new chairman of Tata Sons, N. Chandrasekaran, certainly thinks so!

Quote:
We are (told that) Nano will continue for the next few years... We are not forecasting the demise of Nano,” said Anil Sharma, analyst at London-based consultancy firm IHS Markit.

A source who had worked on the Nano project had revealed to HT earlier that “a lot of research and development was happening on the Nano platform… There were plans to use it to develop an air car (which uses compressed air to drive), and hybrid and electric cars.”

Under Chandrasekaran, who is also the new chairman of Tata Sons, some of these projects might take off. Sharma said that Nano has a lot of promise in the battery technology space.

Tata Motors had started working with Norwegian electric vehicle and component maker Miljøbil Grenland, and picked up 67% stake in the company. After 2010, Tata Motors gave Miljøbil Grenland funds to develop the battery technology, and said it will give five bodies to Miljøbil Grenland.

For the air car, Tata Motors was working with French firm Motor Development International on a seven-year project.

There is a space for the product like Nano, they will have to look at a different strategy... Nobody focussed on that segment until Renault Kwid’s success, there is a market, and Chandrasekaran can position the product in a different way,” said Abdul Majeed, a partner at consultancy firm PwC.
Hindustan Times
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 13:34   #23
BHPian

In fact the Nano electric has been ready for a very long time now! I have seen it myself inside the Tata plant in Pimpri, Pune about 2 years back. It should make economic sense to produce it so hence I'm guessing they haven't yet launched it.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 10:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
In fact the Nano electric has been ready for a very long time now! I have seen it myself inside the Tata plant in Pimpri, Pune about 2 years back. It should make economic sense to produce it so hence I'm guessing they haven't yet launched it.
The one which you are talking about is Nano RE (Range Extender).
It is a fully electric vehicle, but in addition to that a small 200cc petrol engine will be provided for emergency, with fuel tank capacity of about 10 lit.
Hope it'll be launched soon
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 11:49   #25
BHPian

The RE project could be new comparatively. I have seen and driven a fully electric nano and infact a couple of electric small commercial vehicles too!
They were probably also working on an electric semi/ fully autonomous vehicle where the test mule was a nano. It had cameras all around.
But yeah the range extender could work

Last edited by Crankpin : 10th May 2017 at 11:51.
Crankpin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 13:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano Electric spotted testing in Coimbatore

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9830422.ece
jinojohnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 20:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Tata Nano Electric spotted testing in Coimbatore

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9830422.ece
Could that be Coimbatore based Ampere Electric testing their Electric vehicle based on Nano body? Ratan Tata had invested in Ampere Electric and Cyrus Mistry had accused Ratan Tata for his involvement with Ampere.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 21:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Could that be Coimbatore based Ampere Electric testing their Electric vehicle based on Nano body? Ratan Tata had invested in Ampere Electric and Cyrus Mistry had accused Ratan Tata for his involvement with Ampere.
Ampere makes two wheelers and doesn't have the capabilities or resources to enter the 4-wheeler EV market. I know this for a fact having met the MD and visiting their factory. Ratan Tata's involvement with Ampere was just a small investment to help them. Insignificant to Tata's scale of operations.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks