Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 22:01   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster

The roadster 2.0 was long rumored, it's been more then 10 years since the orginal roadster prototype was shown which was in 2006 . Mr. Musk on many occasions had said that roadster 2.0 was going to happen.
But more then to distract the press, it will give them more capital from the $50000 booking amount . I bet large portions of the 1st gen roadster owners would have booked it.

Last edited by aim120 : 17th November 2017 at 22:03.
Old 17th November 2017, 22:20   #17
BHPian

Mental car. The ultimate ‘pinned into the seat car’. But I’m pretty sure except for the initial acceleration, there will be little drama. And I do like drama. Just saw the official video and it was funny the way it just took off without any sound.

Also, like others even I think it’s a marketing gimmick to distract from the issues plaguing production of Model 3.

But if it sees the light of the day, it’ll definitely catapult electric cars into the next level. The level which is too brutal.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this video on whatsapp.. Look at that acceleration
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 01:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
The mind boggling numbers are generated by three motors which generate a rather modest 10,000 Nm.
Yeah 7,376 lb-ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
[*]7,376 pound-feet of torque.
This thing is mental ! Who in the real world needs 10,000 Nm, really !?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Rumour has it that it is a distraction from the current production problems plaguing the Model 3.
This may very well indeed be a distraction, but what a distraction it is, right ?
Quote:
It is a concept until it becomes reality, the Model 3 is supposed to be in production, in reality it is being Beta tested by Tesla employees.
I think we're missing the forest for the trees, the biggest fault of the Model 3 is its' runaway success, it's not like Model 3s are catching on fire on the way from the showroom or anything, if you get my drift.
In my book, being beta-tested by it's own employees is still better than being beta-tested by end-users, God knows we have a lot of that going on already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Got this video on whatsapp... Look at that acceleration
Yeah, silence is the new engine-roar
Forget the 2019 Corvette, this thing's going after the Agera ! For a tenth of the price, I might add.
~

Last edited by im_srini : 18th November 2017 at 01:20.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 07:11   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Got this video on whatsapp.. Look at that acceleration
Video is amazing but the drive neck is not pushed back inspite of such acceleration. Also 10000 nm torque is motor torque and not necessarily the amount that is being used.Tesla uses ansaldo motors , a Nidec company and inverter from ABB I recall. Achieving such acceleration is possible by either widening the tyres and increasing tyre radius as inverters can do insane things in such applications but will be limited by grip between tyre and road. Also for quarter mile I recall rimac concept one is already at 9.9 second. Future is bright.

Overall I believe all electric car companies are not selling cars they are selling motors and inverters packaged in shape of cars at extremely ridiculous prices.

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2017 at 08:22. Reason: Typos
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th November 2017, 20:11   #21
BHPian

Im wondering whether Tesla will even be around to build this thing.
Has this company ever made a decent profit in its lifetime.
How long is it going to stay afloat just on money from fresh capital and the government subsidy gravy train?
There is an entire community at wall street dedicated to shorting tesla stock betting on them tanking. I somehow sense another Kingfisher in the making.
Old 18th November 2017, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Wonder how long those batteries will last without overheating if you decide to take it to the track and do some hot laps. Can it sustain prolonged high speeds?
ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 22:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Wonder how long those batteries will last without overheating if you decide to take it to the track and do some hot laps. Can it sustain prolonged high speeds?

It would never match a reliable sports/hyper car when it comes to doing laps on track. With so much torque there's bound to be a lot of heat getting built up with the discharge in the batteries.
Iwould still bet my money on any gasoline sports/hyper car rather than a Tesla
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 23:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Im wondering whether Tesla will even be around to build this thing.
Has this company ever made a decent profit in its lifetime.
How long is it going to stay afloat just on money from fresh capital and the government subsidy gravy train?
There is an entire community at wall street dedicated to shorting tesla stock betting on them tanking. I somehow sense another Kingfisher in the making.
If this really does come to pass, then do you really think that no other company would be interested in taking over Tesla and/or it's technology.
Old 18th November 2017, 23:18   #25
BHPian

A crazy vehicle indeed, but the torque figure seems slightly misleading.

Name:  Screenshot20171118 Roadster Tesla.png
Views: 3411
Size:  16.1 KB

The 10,000 Nm torque specified is at the wheel, not directly at the motor.

Wheel torque = Engine Torque x Gear Ratio x Final Drive x Transmission Efficiency

For example, let's take the Bugatti Veyron:

Max Engine Torque - 1250 Nm
1st Gear Ratio - 3.18:1
Final Drive Ratio - 3.64:1
Transmission efficiency - assuming 0.9, i.e., 90%

So, the wheel torque of the Veyron in first gear would be:

1250 x 3.18 x 3.64 x 0.9 = 13022.1 Nm

Now, given the torque characteristics of electric motors, electric cars either have a direct drive, or, as in the case of Tesla's cars, require only a single reduction. Consider Tesla's own Model S P100D, whose motors output 931 Nm of torque, and has a reduction ratio of 9.73:1.

Therefore, its wheel torque at standstill would be:

931 x 9.73 x 0.9 = 8152.76 Nm

So going by this logic, the Roadster would have around 1100 Nm of torque at the motor, at standstill, considering the same gear reduction as the Model S, which is pretty much on par with the rest of the hypercar league.

Nevertheless, it looks pretty neat, and from a VFM standpoint, on another level altogether.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turbojc : 18th November 2017 at 23:24.
Turbojc is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 02:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post

which is pretty much on par with the rest of the hypercar league.
One thing you are forgetting, for electric cars this torque is available from standstill or from zero rpm which is not a case with ic engine cars be it hypercar.
Old 19th November 2017, 06:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post

A crazy vehicle indeed, but the torque figure seems slightly misleading.

Cheers!
Thanks for the clarification! was indeed confused by the torque figures initially, sad to see few recent events like, comparing Volvo's crash video with a Tesla, without proper score comparison(I might be wrong here), bottle neck in model 3's delivery and so much more!

I don't wish to be pessimistic, but Tesla seems to be in need of some attention for some reason!

Hope they succeed and make what seems to be a boring future, a bit more interesting for us enthusiasts.
Old 19th November 2017, 06:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
One thing you are forgetting, for electric cars this torque is available from standstill or from zero rpm which is not a case with ic engine cars be it hypercar.
Well, that’s true, but then again, conventionally-powered cars can also make maximum torque at standstill; all one needs to do is rev the engine to the RPM where it makes most torque, and then set off. That’s the concept behind launch control, and that’s how the best possible acceleration times can be obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I don't wish to be pessimistic, but Tesla seems to be in need of some attention for some reason!
Yeah, that seems to be their intention - throw a few mind-boggling numbers to keep the forums ablaze with discussion. They sure have succeeded !

It could also be to distract the press from the Model 3 production woes, as Ajit sir mentioned in an earlier post.
Quote:
Rumour has it that it is a distraction from the current production problems plaguing the Model 3. Introduce this concept and distract the press
Cheers!

Last edited by Turbojc : 19th November 2017 at 06:53.
Old 19th November 2017, 08:59   #29
BHPian

Some of the paranoid and pessimistic comments here really boggle my mind. Here you have a company that was established less than fifteen years ago in the most competitive automotive market in the world making a string of extremely desirable all electric vehicles and succeeding in the market despite all odds, and all some of you can talk about is your unjustly negative perception of it.

Let me get this straight: Tesla makes zero emissions vehicles that might save our planet (and this isn't an exaggeration), has crazy performance numbers, instant torque that can stir the souls of even the most hardened automotive enthusiasts, with best in class designs and with a safety record that is, frankly, unbelievable, and then it announces a prototype vehicle that blows the doors off any car that has ever been made in the history of humankind, and instead of going bonkers with excitement, all you can offer is derision? What kind of auto enthusiasts are you?

We are watching history being made before our eyes every time Elon Musk takes the stage, whether to talk about SpaceX or Tesla, and I certainly find it difficult to believe that one person or even one company can achieve so much of what they have in so little time. It would be a crying shame if your daughter asks you one day what you were doing when Tesla made history by showing off the fastest, cheapest, all electric production car in the world that can seat four occupants, and all you can offer in return is, “I was busy doing armchair criticism on Team-BHP.”

If you think Tesla hasn't achieved the impossible time and time again, you must ask yourself why there's only one Tesla in the world. Why couldn't Mahindra in India make the Model 3 or Fiat in Italy dream up the Roadster or Ford in the USA the Model S?

I, for one, cannot believe the words that come out of Musk's mouth because of just how incredible they are, and he goes ahead and does what he says anyway, despite the world saying it's impossible. SpaceX regularly sends rockets to Space and brings them back to Earth like it's no big deal, when just three years ago the whole world was telling Mr. Musk that his was an impossible dream. So you'll forgive me if I choose to take his side over some of the more cynically inclined on this forum.

Disclaimer: I have no problem with the naysayers because their existence just makes any achievement sweeter, and I welcome you to continue with the Tesla bashing with all the vigour you can muster. I just wanted to offer a different perspective in a thread that seems to have taken on an unexpectedly negative tone. You're all entitled to have and air your opinions as you see fit.

Last edited by aryayush : 19th November 2017 at 09:02.
aryayush is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 21:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Some of the paranoid and pessimistic comments here really boggle my mind. Here you have a company that was established less than fifteen years ago in the most competitive automotive market in the world making a string of extremely desirable all electric vehicles and succeeding in the market despite all odds, and all some of you can talk about is your unjustly negative perception of it.
.... It would be a crying shame if your daughter asks you one day what you were doing when Tesla made history by showing off the fastest, cheapest, all electric production car in the world that can seat four occupants, and all you can offer in return is, “I was busy doing armchair criticism on Team-BHP.”

Disclaimer: I have no problem with the naysayers because their existence just makes any achievement sweeter, and I welcome you to continue with the Tesla bashing with all the vigour you can muster. I just wanted to offer a different perspective in a thread that seems to have taken on an unexpectedly negative tone. You're all entitled to have and air your opinions as you see fit.
Thank you for saying it like it is. I have been wanting to say this for a long time but could not muster up the words. You have put it across aptly.

I notice too many of us on Team BHP tend to write posts that are cynical to make up (in my view) the lack of content of a constructive dialogue or a value add comment. On another stream I notice too many picking one tiny peripheral point in another member's post and tearing it apart while altogether missing the context of the main point he/she is making. Electric cars, wind turbines, solar panels are all becoming reality faster than most realize. When I was a young boy this was futuristic material we read about in National Geographic or Popular Mechanics. Outside the information tech sphere I know of no one person, in the last 50 years, who has been a change disrupter like Elon Musk.
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks