Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 12:14   #31
BHPian

re: Tata Motors launches Tigor EV with extended range at Rs 12.59 lakh

The range seems fine for someone like me who has a daily commute of 75+ km , but the cost is exhorbitant for the value offered.

Tata says that the running cost will be 0.25 Rs/km much less than 1.3 rs/km by M&M , but not sure in practice how true that is .

Also if service costs are so low then how will the dealers earn revenue and hence dealers will need more motivation for selling EV's .
See the Service cost comparison and quotes here

Maybe we should also factor in the insurance costs !

On same lines regarding warranty , Diesel Tigor has 2 years and 75000Km and EV is 3 years 1.25 lakh km , my current car Etios Liva GD has standard 3 year 1 lakh and extended of 5 yr 1.8 lakh km , everything else aside shouldn't the warranty for battery driven car be a lot more , it shows to me that the EV technology isn't there yet .

Not an apple to apple comparison but Tesla Model 3/S/X has 8 years warranty or around 1/1.25 lakh miles .
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty
Old 16th October 2019, 16:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The only good way to do Electric Cars, or for that matter, giving any novelty features to cars is by taking the Top-Down approach..
Very well put, trying to make a cheap vfm car, with what is essentially currently an expensive technology means you will have to cut corners and eventually make the product unviable. A better option would be to make a more expensive hot hatch maybe around 16 lakhs with real world range of atleast 250kms and performance of a GTI and you may have a winner. A small hatchback with the Tigor EV specs is doomed to fail especially at least if marketed to the general public.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th October 2019 at 16:47.
Old 16th October 2019, 16:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
E-Verito has the same range and priced higher at 13.5 lakhs in Bangalore. But I am starting to see quite a few of them in my daily commute. All of them are from fleet operators like Lithium.

So Tigor EV should be a much better deal for these operators.
I've actually started seeing a number of operators in Bangalore - Ryds by Bhagirathi travels (blue e-Veritos) and a couple of others, whose names I can't remember. I believe they have a lot of clients who want to project an image of sustainability. Is this the case in other cities in India?

Unfortunately, you'll never see them on airport runs due to the distance. It'd be great if Bangalore airport had facilities for electric cars - it would be possible for willing clients to move to all electric fleets - the per-km running costs are lower and e-Verito is not that much more expensive than an Etios/Dzire Tour.
shaggydogg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 17:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Grossly overpriced. Most of its buyers will be fleets who are doing it for image or PR purposes.

I don't think it can be termed as grossly overpriced. Whether something is overpriced or not can only be told in terms of other products offering the same value for lesser price. In India the only other car that offers electric drive in this segment is eVerito. It starts at 9.50 lakhs and comes with a certified range of 110 kms on full charge. Tigor comes with a ceritifed range of 213 kms, 15nm more torque and weights 100 kgs lesser. So this is actually value for money when you compare the segment.

Tigor ICE version costs more than 7 lakh ex showroom for top end diesel. So the EV version comes at a 30 percent premium over normal Tigor. There is no way Tata can sell this at any price less than 9 lakhs. Erstwhile E20 plus sold at 7 lakh for the top end before being discontinued.

The only other entrant is Kona which is 23 lakhs. Kona's size can at best be compared to i20 active's size. i20 active retails at 10 lakhs for top end. That is more than 100 percent premium for a comparable sized EV in case of Hyundai.

What you see there is just the inflation and the current prices of automobiles at effect. EVs will be sold at a premium for the near future since it is not yet mainstream. There is no way other than to get used to these prices. All other upcoming EVs will cost in the same range.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th October 2019 at 17:26.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 18:26   #35
BHPian

I don't understand the fact that everyone keeps bashing up Tata inspite of them trying hard to give us an electric vehicle.
We feel Kona is value for money because it carries that oblique H badge. Why don't we blame Hyundai for giving us a car similar to size of an i20 at 3 times its price.
Tata atleast is giving us a car with a boot size similar to what ICE cars have at the same price point.
If Maruti ever tries to launch a electric vehicle, they will first launch Spresso electric at 15 lakhs. We all will appreciate them and forget about Tata.

I feel range of 100 to 150 kilometers is near perfect for those traveling within city. Most of our cars will spend 80% of time in city. This is where electric cars helps. For that occasional highway trips, you can always fall back on self drive cars.
DrCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 19:42   #36
BHPian

A lot of discussion has been happening on the range, what I pity most is the way Tata motors marketing team handles Tigor. This is a déjà vu for me. I see lot of discussion only in our team bhp but outside world isn't aware or bothered about this launch as far as I know. When you have something good, being one of the few players to take a progressive step towards EV, where's the bragging?

Let me quote an example here. I saw S-presso being launched and the very next day there's a huge hoarding on my way to the office grabbing every eyeball. Although there's a Tata dealership on my way to office, I don't even see a single tiny poster on this atleast. That's the key difference between Tata and others. IMO, Tigor was neglected with the regular engines and the irony continues even now.
SpideyBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 22:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Grossly overpriced. Most of its buyers will be fleets who are doing it for image or PR purposes.
We have seen diesels being priced well over their petrol counterparts, and one reasoning was the higher FE. Do you think we will see a similar approach with the EV's ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 07:29   #38
BHPian

The big mistake Tata and Mahindra are doing, which Hyundai isn't in India, is basing their electric offering on an existing car and giving opportunity for such comparisons.

If we had ICE Kona on sale here, we would have complained about the price of e-Kona as well. Of course, they can't yet invest in a brand new model just for electric but my feeling is once that happens people will receive it better.

Something like the Jaguar i-pace. It is so different that you can't directly compare it with other vehicles.

In an ideal world without huge R&D costs, if Renault could have launched Triber first with an electric engine it would have been a huge success story for electric cars in India.
tinshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 08:56   #39
BHPian

Have to give applause to China for making EV's attractable to citizens. China has a city called Shenzhen and nearly 95% of taxis in Shenzhen are EVs. Furthermore, the price on EV is considerably less and charging stations are reasonably available. I see at least 10-20 Tesla's per day in Shenzhen. Kudos to China!
fastturtle10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 10:04   #40
BHPian

I think Tata has priced this fairly. The range may not be to my liking but serves the purpose for majority of the people. The government needs to act a little better and cohesive. Why can we not have zero road tax pan India for EVs? I know it is a state level decision but when some states are offering these incentives, why not others?
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 10:11   #41
BHPian

I feel Tigor EV is just a stepping stone to a better Nexon EV that is currently being tested/spotted.

I hope all the feedback that lands Tata's way via Tigor EV is taken care of in Nexon EV.
Old 18th October 2019, 17:08   #42
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors launches Tigor EV with extended range at Rs 12.59 lakh

1. Make an EV that can go 250 real km on one charge and sell that to Uber/Ola drivers.
2. Buy a large box to put the money in.

Can't see why this isn't happening yet.

Assuming 200 km of daily driving. Rs 6 per km for diesel, Rs 1 per km for EV. Difference in daily expense, Rs 1000. Monthly savings, Rs 30000. If I was driving for Uber/Ola, I'll rather pay that as EMI for my car than smoking it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks